1 (edited by terijunk 2020-08-13 16:33:37)

Topic: Davinci 1.0 not working right....

I inherited a davinci 1.0  that is not working right. It had been updated to repetier xx but I reflashed it just in case it was a bad load.  It is now on 0.92.10 - 1.17-08-01_1.1 

it seems that all of the components are working fine - just not together.  It appears to have all original equipment

I can send a job and it will go thru the motions of "printing" but the extruder does not get hot so will not deposit any filament.

when I heat up the extruder manually it works fine - it is not clogged as I have taken apart the head to verify that.

My thoughts is that it has to be one of 3 things but would love some thoughts on it.
1 - bad extruder $100
2. bad main board $
3. bad harness? $50

your input would be appreciated  - i really dont want to spend much on it since I can get another newer machine for about $200 and will sell the davinci if it is over $50 or so.

Re: Davinci 1.0 not working right....

terijunk wrote:

I inherited a davinci 1.0  that is not working right. It had been updated to repetier xx but I reflashed it just in case it was a bad load.  It is now on 0.92.10 - 1.17-08-01_1.1 

it seems that all of the components are working fine - just not together.  It appears to have all original equipment

I can send a job and it will go thru the motions of "printing" but the extruder does not get hot so will not deposit any filament.

when I heat up the extruder manually it works fine - it is not clogged as I have taken apart the head to verify that.

My thoughts is that it has to be one of 3 things but would love some thoughts on it.
1 - bad extruder $100
2. bad main board $
3. bad harness? $50

your input would be appreciated  - i really dont want to spend much on it since I can get another newer machine for about $200 and will sell the davinci if it is over $50 or so.

Exactly how are you sending a job to it? What software? Do you have the software configured correctly? Can you send M commands from the host and control the heaters?

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

hmmm something to think about....
i am printing a known good file from repetier host v2.1.6 sliced with cura via usb cable.

I think what I  will try is printing a file from the memory card just to eliminate external software altogether..

Check out “ xyz printer extruder not heating “ in YouTube.  There is a small fuse on the motherboard that blows if you have power on and you accidentally short out the extruder heater wires when you are cleaning the extruder.

Thank you tjwhitney, I watched a few videos and checked for continuity and it seemed ok, BUT I did find a fried yellow wire that goes from motherboard (c109 or j31) all the way up to the extruder right side connector!

I have reached out to XYZ to see if they can assist in identifying and replacement of said wire.  Is this the "harness" that many have complained about??  Any ideas?

Thanks for your lead and help.

Post's attachments

IMG_2582.jpg 926.4 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_2586.jpg 1.7 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

The fried yellow wire in the pictures is connected to the extruder module stepper motor.  So you should fix that but this would not cause the extruder nozzle to not heat up.  The extruder power comes thru the white wires connected to J4.  Check fuse R271 just above J4 to see if it has failed open circuit.

That's themistor wire (yellow and black in the plug). You may have thermal runs away during printing but manual heating maybe ok if the hotend is not moving.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

Anyone know what I am doing wrong? Trying to set up the printer for the first time in years. New laptop & am trying to print a test file using the updated XYZ platform.

The printer works as it successfully printed the test vase & the xyz software appears to connect fine with the printer. Problem is that the print button is greyed out.

Using a Windows 10 machine.http://soliforum.com/i/?siyhsmF.jpg

9 (edited by tjwhitney 2020-11-01 19:54:00)

I suggest you check in the PC Device Manager > Ports to see which port is connected to the printer.  It might not be com3 as shown in the XYZprint screen.