1 (edited by invisible_squid 2020-07-31 00:42:52)

Topic: Need help (or ideas) on a part to make masks comfortable

Since the beginning of the Covid-19 situation, I had been printing ear savers for the people I work with as well as friends and family. My wife tipped me off to something that could help those who have issues with the mask touching their mouth when they breathe in (issues as in literal panic attacks, triggering claustrophobia, and one who's PTSD kicks in after a while). This object looks reasonably easy to try and design, but evidently I underestimated it or became over confidant in my abilities. I have been using DesignSpark for most of the objects and tools I design, but this particular project has been kicking my butt...

Most of the issue stems from DesignSpark, not to say that it's bad software. I have trouble with trying to make parts curve. DesignSpark does great for making simple sketches into a 3d model with reasonable precision. Chamfers and Bevels? great! Intersections? Pretty good. Negations? Fantastic! Dragging the edge of a part down 5mm and out 10? Nah, can't do that.

Below you'll find the best picture I can find about what I'm trying to design. I'll take ideas on how best to make the shapes and put them together with my current suite, or suggestions on a software better suited for this kind of thing.

I'm printing on an XYZ daVinci mini W+ with Matter Hacker's PLA.

Post's attachments

1833952979.jpg 26.8 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

2 (edited by Tin Falcon 2020-08-01 12:09:02)

Re: Need help (or ideas) on a part to make masks comfortable

I know very little about design spark I downloaded  the software a few years ago and gave up with it.
If you were working with fusion 360 I could likely help.  You may want to try that software if set up properly it is free. for home use.
That said check out the NIH covid 19 3d printing page lots of help there and the designs have been evaluated.
why reinvent the wheel.

https://3dprint.nih.gov/collections/covid-19-response

hope this helps

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Re: Need help (or ideas) on a part to make masks comfortable

I cant really offer any guidance here, either, because I suck at the more "organic" type of modeling.
aside from agreeing with Tin - why reinvent the wheel when there are so many options out there already.

If someone has a problem with a mask touching their mouth/lips, then it may be best for that person to wear one of the more rigid style masks that would not do that. there are a couple of very good options on that site Tin linked to.

there are also shaped, sewn masks that do not touch the mouth nearly as much as the pleated flat masks will.

these are just a couple of options that are already available & out there.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1