Topic: Recycling Home plastics into filaments

I am interested in shredding recycled plastics from home, and use a filament extruder to turn it into spools. I have heard that certain plastics can be bad for filament extruders. Can anyone give me advice on how and what plastics I should use for my filament extruder.

Re: Recycling Home plastics into filaments

If you want to make your own filaments then you would have to separate all the plastics and use only those that are already in use for filament such as ABS, PLA, PETG, and so on. You can't just use any plastics. Plus you would need to melt down and pelletize them as they don't feed well unless in very small pieces.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

recycling is great in theory but also a lot of work.
Like carl said you need to sort by material  and color unless you do not care about color.
the material has to be clean
and dry and in small enough paces to feed well you often need to screen and regrind the large pieces.
Grinding is often the hardest steep as industrial grinders are quite expensive and home food processors blenders will only do small batches. Then you often need to blend some virgin material with the regrind for better results.

there are  ton of you tube videos on the subject.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Thank you so much, I will keep you updated with my progress in using recycled plastic.