Topic: Repairing STL files

I have an stl file that needs repair The file is 95mb.  I tried to fix it with Cura Cura crashed.
I tried Netfab online and after 20 minutes it could not repair the file so I tried to repair with 3d builder and after 15 minutes
it crashed. My computer has 8gb of ram memory. I have never had this problem before. Lately Cura pops up and tells me
all my lithophanes need repair.
is it Cura Because not all my lithophanes from different websited need repair.

What are most of you using to repair STL files.
Thanks
Dale

Ultimaker S3.

Re: Repairing STL files

I rarely have an issue with a file but when I do I use Nettfab. For Cura I also only use version 15.x as the newer version 4.x is optimized and tweaked for Ultimaker machines.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Thanks Carl
I have an ultimaker S3. I am just wondering if Cura is to sensitive for Lithophanes
it always pops up that the part is not manifold.

Ultimaker S3.

dubbsd wrote:

Thanks Carl
I have an ultimaker S3. I am just wondering if Cura is to sensitive for Lithophanes
it always pops up that the part is not manifold.

You could try ignoring the warning and print anyway. The worst that will happen is cost you some filament.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

carl_m1968 wrote:

I rarely have an issue with a file but when I do I use Nettfab. For Cura I also only use version 15.x as the newer version 4.x is optimized and tweaked for Ultimaker machines.

Is that why it seems to have such insane infill overlap slicing for my Solidoodle? 3 perimiters and I can still see the infill. It's insane.

justsomeguy wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:

Is that why it seems to have such insane infill overlap slicing for my Solidoodle? 3 perimiters and I can still see the infill. It's insane.

possibly..

Personally, i wont use cura - of any flavor. I much prefer Slic3r. But to each their own

For repairing files, I use the old version of Netfabb free that is on my computer, or a program called "Limitstate FIX" that another friend turned me on to.. also on my computer.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

limitstate fix is not free

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

n2ri wrote:

limitstate fix is not free

never said it was, lol, just that it is one that i use

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

I believe that the Netfabb stuff was folded-into Windows as part of 3D Builder and fixes things when you import them. Just do a Save As to finish.

10 (edited by heartless 2021-04-27 13:10:14)

yeah, MS took it over.. have no idea how well it works anymore

I have the older version - the one that you used to be able to download and install locally. Never was a fan of using the online version

i keep a backup of program files for use later down the road - like after a rebuild of the PC. wink