Topic: Broken Filament at Filament Loader

Hello

I have an da Vinci mini w.; Firmware 1.3.9, Original Filament Transparent which ist half used.

In the last 2 days I had 3 times a broken Filament, without I was printing somewhat. It broke in the area of the Filament Loader. I wasn't doing anything with the 3D Printer, I was designing a new figure on my mac. I heard a noise and saw the broken filament!
The temperature in the room is about 26degrees Celsius (78degrees Fahrenheit) an the Humanity ist about 60%

This is happens after I decided to print in 0.05 & 0.1mm layers. Could it be possible that the filament is to often moved within the Filament Loader, up & down, and became to hard and therefor it.

Has someone the same issue. I don't except such a problem from this "expensive" filament of XYZprinting. For me this would be an extra reason the swap to 3th party filament. It is time-consuming to unload the broken part of the filament in the guide tube and a waste of about 75cm of filament.

I am really pissed off with such an issue!!!

Gérard

2 (edited by Vaklin 2020-05-23 13:43:17)

Re: Broken Filament at Filament Loader

The same here. In fine printing the filament goes trough the intruder slow, so it has time to get some "temperature". After that it was glued to the nozzle to a level, from which is hard to unload them.

My procedure is to start "clean nozzle" from the menu, and after the nozzle reach suitable temperature (for PLA 200+) unload the filament manually. Standard unloading procedure works 50/50.

Important is first to put the filament in forward direction, and only after positive flow from nozzle to pull the filament in reverse direction.

I have no idea why this happens, but my filament is few years old, so I can't point to the manufacturer.

Re: Broken Filament at Filament Loader

I have a daVinci Pro 1.0.  PLA filament is hydroscopic and will get brittle after a while.  It can be fixed by heating the filament in an oven for a couple of hours at about 150F.  Sometimes it will break near the extruder.  I have to remove the feed tube and shove some filament in during the load cycle.  Then I can usually pull all of it back out.  You can't remove the extruder assembly unless all the filament is out of it. 

Doesn't seem to happen with ABS.