Topic: When to turn off extrusion?

Ok, just got the Filastruder, assembled it and extruded the provided ABS to cleanup from contamination.

I am happy with the result, everything looked nominal (blue LED all the time, 11.2V-11.6V, ~1.5A, 180C temp).
At the end when last bits of ABS pellets were swallowed in the barrel, I got tired and turned it off.
On the next day, I turned the motor again and it was clogged, it didn't turn so I warmed it up and after several on/off attempts managed to restart it. Turned out there was a bit of a material let inside the barrel which apparently clogged it.

I left it running till the LED turned GREEN which should indicate no more load/material left.
Is this the right indication for when to stop the extrusion?

Thanks

Re: When to turn off extrusion?

And BTW, I am still not sure if after all extrusion it cleaned up from contaminants since the ABS is still a bit grey and supposedly should be white.

Thanks

I let the pellets in the barrel heat up the next time, when I want to extrude and go on. If I change color, I just extrude until I have a clean color again. But a color gradiant filament may also be usable and interesting for some prints. So it is not wasted.

It may be a different story if you switch from ABS to PLA because of the different properies. Then I would clean as well. But as I do not have a cheap source for PLA pellets, I use only ABS which can be sourced cheaply and easily.

You have to preheat the barrel and let it sit for around 20mins at temp before trying to start the motor or you can break it

Sd4 #9080 with a glass bed. E3d chimera duel extruder. Paste extruder , duet wifi.
Lawsy carriages. linear bearings. Y axis direct drive, Kinect scanner
SD4#8188 glass bed, lawsly carriages, E3d v6, octoprint http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hotrod96z28
Filastruder/filawinder, Custom Delta 300mm x 600mm