Topic: Help with a DaVinci Jr 1.0 making covid supplies...

Hi everyone.

We have a couple of printers running off supplies for local hospitals and first responders for covid. One of the printers here is a DaVinci Jr 1.0 which is great for making ear savers for people wearing masks with the elastic behind their ears. Unfortunately the lone spool of chipped filament for it has about 20 meters left on it.

The printer is currently on 2.4.8 firmware. When I set it up it was on 2.2.7, which seemed odd because according to the current DaVinci software the current firmware for it was 2.2.6. I had read that Cura worked for it on the current firmware, so using the firmware update tool on here I updated it to 2.4.8. That said the Cura profile XYZ says to make for it doesn't seem to want to work as there's no start or end gcode and they say to use -10 for the x min and Cura 4.6 keeps changing it to -20.

I am guessing it's due to the missing start gcode (or maybe that -20) that it's not exactly cooperating. I tried using start gcode from someone's mini on here and it makes the proper test strip the same as it would with printing directly from an SD card but after that Cura prints much much finer lines that have a hard time adhering to the bed. The Z adjust doesn't seem to work all that well, as in that it's a big enough jump that it's either floating or mashed into the bed after running a calibrate.

So I ordered some NFC213 tags, and am trying to get that to work but the first few I've made are popping up as unknown spool. I've tried Reel Tool and NTAG Renaamer. The tag I made with Reel Tool and that DaVinci said was an unknown spool shows up as locked in NTAG Renamer. Extra weird, that NTAG Renamer is popping up that the chip is locked even though the initial scan says the chip is unlocked.

All that said, I have two questions:

1- Does anyone have working Cura profiles for the Junior 1.0? 

2 - What is the current best way to create/refill these tags and are they refillable or would they be single use?

Printing from the SD card just worked, and if it wasn't for the chipped filament this thing would be still chugging along making the things. I know they have an unlimited NFC card, but it's currently sold out at least from their web shop, however I'm not sure spending $50 on that is worth it (and the time it would take to get here) for a printer that will most likely end up back in storage when this is over.

Re: Help with a DaVinci Jr 1.0 making covid supplies...

Apologies for not seeing this one earlier. If you have any blank NFC cards handy or can get some, you are already halfway to getting it running on whatever filament you want. Heres an exact list of what you need:

Ntag21X or nfc213 tags and android smartphone with an NFC reader/writer. Good example is the Galaxy S8 and newer or something similar.

Hop on the google play store and look for "Da Vinci Jr. NFC Unlocker Pro". I don't remember how much it costs (if anything at all), though I don't imagine it was all that expensive.

Once you have your handy tags handy, and your app installed, give a tag a scan in the app. Select a color, how much filament (don't go over the normal amount that comes on your rolls) and tap write (also, keep the tag under the phone to make sure it writes). Check to make sure it works by scanning it again.

NOTE: DO NOT EDIT THE TAGS AFTER THE PRINTER REGISTERS THEM[ If you do, the printer will BLACKLIST THEM and you will be no better off than when you started.

Good luck to you and keep doing the great work!

BE SAFE!