Topic: Astrobox

Anyone try the AstroBox? I am thinking about getting this so that i do not have to leave my PC running to print and so i can use cura sent the print and just not have to worry about my PC doing anything. just wondered if anyone has tried this.

Re: Astrobox

I expect it is a commercialized version of the Raspberry Pi with octoprint  loaded. this can be set up if you are tech savvy. LOOKs like a nice setup.  evaluate yourself and the product the best you can before you by.

IIRC the rpi is about $35 the software downloads are open source  so you pay what you can or want to.

Looks like effort was put into the case sticker etc.

As always you call your dime . do your homework before you buy.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

clevenger23 wrote:

Anyone try the AstroBox? I am thinking about getting this so that i do not have to leave my PC running to print and so i can use cura sent the print and just not have to worry about my PC doing anything. just wondered if anyone has tried this.

Why not just use an SDcard? Then again the PC is out of the equation once the file is sliced and exported to the card. Nearly all printers have an SDcard slot on their controller now if they are worth anything.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Tin Falcon wrote:

I expect it is a commercialized version of the Raspberry Pi with octoprint  loaded. this can be set up if you are tech savvy. LOOKs like a nice setup.  evaluate yourself and the product the best you can before you by.

IIRC the rpi is about $35 the software downloads are open source  so you pay what you can or want to.

Changed my mind, going with a pi4 and octoprint seams like a lot more support from the community and just better and cheaper.

carl_m1968 wrote:
clevenger23 wrote:

Why not just use an SDcard? Then again the PC is out of the equation once the file is sliced and exported to the card. Nearly all printers have an SDcard slot on their controller now if they are worth anything.

can't use Sdcard on the Da Vinci mini W+ doesn't have sd card. so USB it is. and cura over windows can make issues. so i was looking for a way to not use windows, and be able to shut off my pc as it uses WAY to much power. its my gaming rig.  but octoprint seams like a way better solution anyways.

clevenger23 wrote:
Tin Falcon wrote:

Changed my mind, going with a pi4 and octoprint seams like a lot more support from the community and just better and cheaper.

carl_m1968 wrote:
clevenger23 wrote:

can't use Sdcard on the Da Vinci mini W+ doesn't have sd card. so USB it is. and cura over windows can make issues. so i was looking for a way to not use windows, and be able to shut off my pc as it uses WAY to much power. its my gaming rig.  but octoprint seams like a way better solution anyways.

Not doubting your motives but have you actually done the math on the power consumption of a gaming PC? On Average it's only going to raise your monthly bill a couple of bucks a month if left on all the time. If you turn it off and turn it on as needed it actually uses more because it draws more current as it powers up then it does when running a program such a slicer and printer host.

According to a study by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, the typical gaming computer consumes as much power each year as approximately three refrigerators.

On average, a gaming computer consumes approximately 1,400 kWh per year, or the same amount of energy as ten gaming consoles, six standard computers, and appliances around your home.

https://xoticpc.com/blogs/news/energy-c … gaming-pcs

Mine runs 24/7 and at a cost .14 per kw mine cost me like $196 a year. Actually your printer is going to use half that as well. Just something got consider. Many think a PC is using more power in their home then anything else.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

carl_m1968 wrote:
clevenger23 wrote:
Tin Falcon wrote:

carl_m1968 wrote:

Not doubting your motives but have you actually done the math on the power consumption of a gaming PC? On Average it's only going to raise your monthly bill a couple of bucks a month if left on all the time. If you turn it off and turn it on as needed it actually uses more because it draws more current as it powers up then it does when running a program such a slicer and printer host.

According to a study by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, the typical gaming computer consumes as much power each year as approximately three refrigerators.

On average, a gaming computer consumes approximately 1,400 kWh per year, or the same amount of energy as ten gaming consoles, six standard computers, and appliances around your home.

https://xoticpc.com/blogs/news/energy-c … gaming-pcs

Mine runs 24/7 and at a cost .14 per kw mine cost me like $196 a year. Actually your printer is going to use half that as well. Just something got consider. Many think a PC is using more power in their home then anything else.

sometimes i leave my PC off for days, when i have a lot of work or what ever, so just being able to send something to octoprint is a good thing for me. even from my work laptop i can just grab something i want or need and send the file and go on about my work.  when i am running my pc i have 3 monitors, and well long story short, it is a beast. i see a huge difference in my power bill when i shut it off while not in use.

plus, i want time lapse so eh. lol