Topic: Running XYZ printer in VirtualBox

Hi,
I searched the forum but wasn't able to find the answer.

I recently bought XYZ nano printer, which must be run from Windows. I don't have Windows and I don't want Windows, besides those made of glass. So naturally I tried VirtualBox to shield myself and my data as much as possible while still running XYZware. The problem is that my operating system  (Kubuntu) doesn't see anything connected to my usb, as if nothing is there. Therefore VirtualBox doesn't see it either.

Dual boot is not an option for me because I run HP notebook which does its hardest not to allow me grub.

I would rather not dedicate this computer to Windows as I only have one 64 bit machine available.
(I do have about 5 more notebooks and some Raspberries, but none other runs 64 bits nor is capable of handling my excessive Blender usage).

What can I do?
Thanks.

Re: Running XYZ printer in VirtualBox

Do all your blending etc. on your 64bit machine and when ready send the stl to any of the other notebooks for print.
Pete

I use VMware Workstation 15 Player without any issues. I am on a windows machine with 32G of ram.

2 thoughts for you:

1. Are you familiar with the wine project that allows windows programs to run natively in Linux? According to this page: http://wiki.xyzprinting.com/wordpress/x … tallation/ xyzware is supported in Linux. Looks to me like they expect you to have wine installed and that their windows version works with it.

2. If you are determined to use Virtual Box, do you have the gui manager installed? There are some USB passthrough options in there that maybe you need to setup. I don't know. I would just use wine.