Topic: Stop filament countdown

hello

to stop the filament countdown, instead of hacking the RFID isn't there a way to unplung some cable somewhere in the printer ?
i saw that there is a black/white wheel into the extruder that seem to count the amount of filament going through : is there something to do with this ?

i'm using a DaVinci Jr 1.

thank you

2 (edited by carl_m1968 2020-04-09 11:16:04)

Re: Stop filament countdown

That wheel does not count. It detects if the filament is jammed. During a jam the wheel will stop and send an alarm.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

carl_m1968 wrote:

That wheel does not count. It detects if the filament is jammed. During a jam the wheel will stop and send an alarm.

OK thanks.
another wire to cut ..?

tpak wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:

OK thanks.
another wire to cut ..?

It's counted by the software knowing how much is needed for the print. It deducts that amount from the amount on the spool and records it to the EEPROM that is in the spool or to the RF tag on the newer models. If it can't talk to or see a spool it will just flag it as invalid and not print at all. If it was this easy, somebody would have done it long ago.

carl_m1968 wrote:
tpak wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:

OK thanks.
another wire to cut ..?

It's counted by the software knowing how much is needed for the print. It deducts that amount from the amount on the spool and records it to the EEPROM that is in the spool or to the RF tag on the newer models. If it can't talk to or see a spool it will just flag it as invalid and not print at all. If it was this easy, somebody would have done it long ago.

yes you're probably right but there must be some piece detecting the spool turning somehow, and transmit this information to the software... that's why i asked.

No when you slice the file in the slicer it knows how much will be used and deducted that from the spool total. This is not very accurate and is why it often says a spool is empty when it is not. The 1.0 is a very old machine. I had one 5 years ago. If it was just a simple method of preventing counting it would have been done long ago. The tools and hacks available now like it ir not is all there is.