Topic: use vertical or horizontal ?

Hi All,
i am new, and buy this day Filastruder and filawinder,
my setup in my home is short, lol,
my question is install vertical, or horizontal ?
many thanks for support
bests regards
laurent

Re: use vertical or horizontal ?

I like both.  That is - I have mine installed at a 45 degree angle.

3 (edited by on2vhf 2020-04-10 14:23:23)

Hi,
Ok for 45 degré,  yes
Looks great! Would it be possible for you to make a ~45deg version for vertical extruding?
Many thanks for info
Laurent

The FilaWinder instructions read:
"The FilaWinder works best with the extruder positioned    vertically. The filament will make only one bend on the way to the winder, and will behave more predictably."

But, there are 4 issues with vertical mounting that you will need to work out.
1. Mounting vertically can be a challenge because there are no pre-drilled holes.
You can drill holes in the aluminum base before you assemble it. Also, you can print a mounting bracket(https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1508688).
I ended up using 4 tee nuts into plywood and attaching the four really long screws that hold the whole thing together into the tee nuts instead of the provided nuts.
2. You will need to print a hopper for vertical use. (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2854762 or https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1195942)
3. To use it vertically you will probably need to rotate the barrel so the vertical hopper can fit to the side. (http://www.soliforum.com/post/148815/#p148815)
4. You may need to add a vibrating feature to the hopper because the path to the barrel is no longer straight down but at an angle.(https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:394971)

I hope that helps.

Nice summary, thank you bengjerstad!

Hi,
Many thanks for this important info
Bests regards
Laurent

7 (edited by sktedro 2020-04-16 23:17:47)

The question is, will the consistency and shape of the filament be improved by a transition to a vertical setup?
From what I know, there are two things at play:

Consistency of extrusion - that depends on how many pellets - or what volume of pellets - get into the feed screw at a given moment and if the RPM is consistent. I guess using a stepper motor instead of a DC one would ensure precise RPMs, but you can't feed exact amount (volume) of pellets each turn... You get the idea.
Theoretically, the further away is the end of the feed screw from the nozzle, more consistent filament diameter you get (because of the fact that plastic can be compressed). I'm not sure how far is too far, though.
With a horizontal setup, you have a puller, which pulls the filament at a constant speed. With a vertical one, filament is pulled by gravity, but probably even more, pushed out by the pressure inside the barrel.
So it would make sense that vertically, volume of plastic extruded at a given moment is affected by weight of the filament extruder previously (filament hanging from the nozzle) and pressure inside of the barrel (that pressure is affected by volume of pellets currently in the barrel, though, mostly volume of pellets on barrels' end). That means, that vertically, the consistency is better, but to what extent? (How much? Is the difference even noticeable?)
Also, the temperature being higher and lower just by a bit can make a big difference, I think. However, I can't find a way to make the temperature stable, other than insulating whole barrel thoroughly.

Gravity deforming the filament - this one is simple. Horizontally, gravity pushes the filament down, theoretically making it oval-shaped. Vertically, if the filament is perpendicular to the ground until it cools down, the feed screw has completely symmetrical end and the hole in the nozzle is perfect, cross section of the extruded filament should be a perfect circle, too.

Did I miss anything? I couldn't find information to the questions in this post, and if anybody knew an answer to them, I'd be very grateful. Well, I've heard that vertically, it's easier to manage the filament, but I suppose that this only applies when you don't have a puller on the horizontal build... And I'm not that concerned about managing and handling the filament.

Hi ,
Verry important question,
My kit is stand bye in Florida...
But receive i am test first in horizontal yes for
Testing, and re post here for info
Bests regards
Laurent from belgium

9 (edited by on2vhf 2020-06-26 04:10:59)

Hi all,
Ok my filastruder and filawinder is
Running, in horizontal is no good,
Now i am on 45 degrés.
Test with new pellets PLA, is ok
But for recycle PLA material, le 5mmx5mm ok ?
My noze is complet obstured .....
Many little particules
My question is possible extrude only with noze
And deleted filter ?
Many thanks for support
Bests regards de laurent in belgium

Sure, you can do that, but the particles will get into your filament and potentially block your printer's nozzle, depending on what size it is.

Hello,
Many thanks for reply
Yes i am change filtre, and produce only
Pla pellets,  with colorant, recycle is not easy
Bests regards
Laurent

Hi all,
This is my filastruder and filawinder