Topic: Hello !

Hi, I'm new here, just saying hello,

I've ordered my solidoodle expert yesterday and plan to use it for some interesting stuff (don't know exactly what yet, but I'm always fiddling and fixing something, so surely it will be useful).

I'll be using CATIA V5 R19 for the modelling (because I happen to know it a little and find it good for mechanical design).

I mainly plan to create mechanical functional parts (as said, don't know exactly what yet), so I'm not too concerned about looks, but more about precision (hope 0.2mm will do) and mechanical resistance.

I'm impatient to receive my stuff (I understand I'll be waiting around 10 weeks... this seems long, is this still the case?)

This is what I ordered :

+Solidoodle 3D Printer, 2nd Generation  - Solidoodle 2 Options: Expert Model

+1.75mm ABS Natural Filament - 2lb spool

Is there anything else I should prepare in order to get going when I'll receive it ?

My computer is running Windows 7 64 Bits, will this be OK for the provided software. Will my CATIA STLs be OK for the provided software?

Thanks!

Re: Hello !

You have a looooong wait ahead of you, so plenty of time to get ready (some May orders have still not shipped).

DBGW said yesterday in another thread:

I have just received notice of dispatch from Solidoodle for my order:

Placed 4th May
Dispatched 11th September
------------

In other news, they are allegedly making about 10 a day now (I have no evidence, that's word on the street).  But, they caution, order numbers are not strictly in chronological order (?).  Also, some orders are for supplies, not machines.

I ordered mine May 8, and still have no joy.

Hum... OK, I knew it was pretty long (10 weeks)... didn't expect 10 months though.... well, whatever, I'll just keep waiting....

The only thing I would recommend to have on hand would be other ABS. I realize in your case the parts may not matter as far as color, but sometimes aesthetics help.

Beyond that, I'd just start messing with the software, and getting a feel for it. I actually installed everything before I got my printer, and just let it find the drivers once the printer arrived.

10 months would be excessive. I realize it can be difficult waiting for it to arrive. However, it was worth the wait for me, no doubt. It is a fantastic machine, and worth more than what they charge, in my opinion.

Installing all the software, good idea, I think I'll do that. I wonder if I can run it from a virtual machine (have to see about the USB support I suppose, can test this with any other USB device).

For the ABS I in fact ordered one role of each at the same time as the printer, as I don't know how fast the consumables will go, I don't know where I can buy them from except from solidoodle, and I don't know what colour will be best for my parts (it's probably better if they do mach the colour of the rest of the mecanisms)

Depends on what you print and how often. I print quite often and haven't killed an entire roll in a month yet.

Hello Harvey, welcome to the forums.

Harvey wrote:

I mainly plan to create mechanical functional parts (as said, don't know exactly what yet), so I'm not too concerned about looks, but more about precision (hope 0.2mm will do) and mechanical resistance.

I'm new to 3D printing myself, but based on my research I'd say you'll need to do a little software tweaking to get a high level of accuracy for mechanical parts. Ian Johnson has kindly been posting fantastic articles on his blog about setting up and using the printer (including accuracy).

I purchased a mini vertical mill for making precise adjustments to my prints where required.

Harvey wrote:

I'm impatient to receive my stuff (I understand I'll be waiting around 10 weeks... this seems long, is this still the case?)

I'm afraid we haven't been given enough information to be able to say. It all comes down to whether Solidoodle are taking more orders than they are shipping out (which we don't know). If not, then it is reasonable to assume the backlog is clearing and your wait will be less than that of earlier buyers.

My order took almost 19 weeks to ship. Others have taken longer than this.