Topic: Filament Jams Davinci jr. 1.0 Pro

After about 15 months of service, suddenly my
printer cannot complete a print. After 5 to ten layers the hot end parks itself on the home axes and declares a filament jam.  I have tried two different hotends (.3 an .4 nozzles) and tried to print different objects. I have leveled it numerous times and adjusted the z offset height to .31 mm (I use a mechanics feeler gauge). I am feeding it externally using the same mechanism I have used for the past six months (it’s very low friction).

I am using Cura to and saving the file to an SD card.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Terry

Re: Filament Jams Davinci jr. 1.0 Pro

Over time thin layers of filament coat the inside of the heatbreak and they simply get worse. Think of it as hardening arteries. They get to a point where the filament feeds through freely. The only option is to tear it down and burn it out of the metal parts using a torch or replace the hot end.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Re: Filament Jams Davinci jr. 1.0 Pro

Thanks for the response, but to be honest I don’t think that’s it. I had, in fact torn down the entire hot end, cleaned it out, even soaked it in xylene (which apparently  dissolves PLA) and reassembled. I have both a .4 nozzle as well as a .3 nozzle (which has much less use) and I get this with both.  In fact, after thinking about this a lot I am thinking this is in the Bowden extruder. I think there must be some optical device in there that is not working correctly after I tore  down the extruder to clean it up.  Either that or I might have damaged one of those tiny JST connectors.   So now I just have to figure what I might have done.This might be self inflicted. I am wondering if anyone has replaced their Bowden extruder with one of the aluminum ones you see on Amazon, and in fact, are they any better.  I have always had a problem with slippage with mine which was what motivated me to take it apart in the first place.