Topic: Cura Settings for da Vinci Printers

Since xyzPrinting updated their firmware to make all my 3rd party tags useless and also enabled direct printing through the USB port I thought it might be useful to share the settings for my da Vinci Mini W+ printer that work. They should form the basis for other printer models.

These settings are for black PLA material, firmware version 1.2.0 and Cura 4.4.1

The profile settings are based on Custom FFF printer, generic PLA and Normal print quality.

Machine settings:

Printer settings
X (width)     150mm
Y (depth)     150mm
Z (height)    150mm
Build plate shape   Rectangular
G code flavour        Marlin

Printhead settings
X Min                 -10mm
Y Min                 -10mm
X Max                 10mm
Y Max                 10mm
Gantry height  100mm

Extruder settings
Nozzle size    0.4mm
Compatible material size 1.75mm

Start G-code:
G28 ;Home
G1 Z15.0 F6000 ;Move the platform down 15mm
;Prime the extruder
G92 E0
G1 F200 E3
G92 E0

End G-code:
M104 S0
M140 S0
;Retract the filament
G92 E1
G1 E-1 F300
G28 X0 Y0
;Move gantry and print bed to allow access to completed print
G1 Z100 F1200; Move gantry up 100mm
G1 Y8 F1200; Move print bed out 80mm
M84

Print settings:

Quality
Layer height                        0.2mm
Initial layer height               0.3mm

Shell
Wall thickness                      0.8mm (could increase to 1.2mm if needed)
Top/bottom thickness          1.0mm

Infill
Density                                 10% (can go up to 25% if additional strength needed)
Infill pattern                          Grid (default in cura but I have also used lines)

Material
Printing temp                         200 deg (Cura monitor shows an actual temp of 203 deg)
Flow                                       100% (default value. Some prints and/or printers may need a higher value)
Retraction distance                4.0mm
Retraction speed                    30mm/sec

Speed
Print speed                             40mm/sec (Cura will calculate the rest and these are OK so far)

Build pattern adhesion
Type                                        Skirt
Line Count                               15
Distance                                  0.01mm

This produces a skirt that acts very much like a brim but I have found that it is easier to clean up afterwards (it just snaps off). The Mini W+ print bed is unheated so it really needs this to aid adhesion. I also use blue printers tape and glue stick. So far so good!

So. Do these settings print a 3D Benchy??? Hell yeah!!!!

http://soliforum.com/i/?FZsjsML.jpg
http://soliforum.com/i/?qDdy1E5.jpg

I am now back up and running on 3rd party PLA with no tags. (Interesting point to note though that if you leave a tag on the printer the spool length will still be updated as you print). The only operations I am still using the xyzPrint software for is loading/unloading filament and cleaning the printhead. As soon as I can work out the G-code for that and how to send it to the printer I will be free of that too.

Re: Cura Settings for da Vinci Printers

Just a note here. The bench is supposed to be printed with no sides such as adhesion. The bench is a performance test and a deficiency test. It reveals your printers abilities and what needs to be tuned.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Hi. I am very newbie  in 3d printing and sorry if this question sounds stupid.
I am trying to use the software Cura with my Da Vinci mini +W printer. How can I send the gcode to the printer? When I try to add my printer in the Cura software, I can't see any XYZ printer. Should I install another software?

No,, just set your printer up as a custom one as far as settings us the ones provided by the OP.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

5 (edited by A45porhora 2020-04-07 14:36:27)

thanks jgc068 to share this settings, I added the printer to Cura following your instructions.

Also I can use CURA to move the printer head... But when I try to print from CURA, the printer LED gets red.

-XYZ software is totally closed when I try to print from CUra
-XYZ show that I have 0m fill..maybe that is causing the red light cause my machine is "blocked"?

Thanks

edit: I got an error message from MiniMover

So sending as gcode from MiniMover,if I put my original fill it says (M_CASSETE_EMPTY), and it stops

I will order an NTAG213 and will try

Thanks

couple of questions before i get to testing later today, maybe you can assist me with first.  I notice you have the X Min at -10 but with Cura 4.5 it will not go less than -20. the rest of the settings are okay, also when i set up cura by XYZ's instructions, it defaults the print speed to 60mm/s  i will attach a couple of pictures.  not sure if this is a change to Cura in 4.5 or what.  can you test if 60mm works or will that just be crap?http://soliforum.com/i/?AYUqtq2.pnghttp://soliforum.com/i/?jLQ7sBK.png

after looking into cura a little more and turning on more speed options it looks like it slows down the print head at the right times. i am not sure. let me know if i am wrong here please.http://soliforum.com/i/?L2Y0L4l.png

jgc068 wrote:

Since xyzPrinting updated their firmware to make all my 3rd party tags useless and also enabled direct printing through the USB port I thought it might be useful to share the settings for my da Vinci Mini W+ printer that work. They should form the basis for other printer models.

These settings are for black PLA material, firmware version 1.2.0 and Cura 4.4.1

The profile settings are based on Custom FFF printer, generic PLA and Normal print quality.

Machine settings:

Printer settings
X (width)     150mm
Y (depth)     150mm
Z (height)    150mm
Build plate shape   Rectangular
G code flavour        Marlin

Printhead settings
X Min                 -10mm
Y Min                 -10mm
X Max                 10mm
Y Max                 10mm
Gantry height  100mm

Extruder settings
Nozzle size    0.4mm
Compatible material size 1.75mm

Start G-code:
G28 ;Home
;Prime the extruder
G92 E0
G1 F200 E3
G92 E0

End G-code:
M104 S0
M140 S0
;Retract the filament
G92 E1
G1 E-1 F300
G28 X0 Y0
;Move gantry and print bed to allow access to completed print
G1 Z100 F1200; Move gantry up 100mm
G1 Y8 F1200; Move print bed out 80mm
M84

I have now found a way to not touch the XYZ software. I am using Octoprint and there is a plug in for changing filament. just make sure you heat it up on the main screen first then retract the filament.

http://soliforum.com/i/?S3pPd3I.jpg
http://soliforum.com/i/?TCHGySq.jpg

clevenger23 wrote:

couple of questions before i get to testing later today, maybe you can assist me with first.  I notice you have the X Min at -10 but with Cura 4.5 it will not go less than -20. the rest of the settings are okay, also when i set up cura by XYZ's instructions, it defaults the print speed to 60mm/s  i will attach a couple of pictures.  not sure if this is a change to Cura in 4.5 or what.  can you test if 60mm works or will that just be crap?http://soliforum.com/i/?AYUqtq2.pnghttp://soliforum.com/i/?jLQ7sBK.png

Hi I’m having the same issue did you solve it?

I tried printing with the -20 and it worked but some times the nozzle hit the print.

I did the leveling of the bed twice without any lucky.

Hi
I've been away from this for a while (so much printing, so little time). I have gone back over my Cura settings now I am on 4.5.0 and find that they are all still the same as before. I'm still printing OK.

I have 4.6 loaded and it keeps the same settings. I've not used this version yet.

All these settings have been saved in a custom profile and the only setting i change is the layer height which I vary between 0.1 and 0.2. I don't tweak anything else. I don't use the default Cura profiles and I have checked all the settings in preferences so that I can change them as needed.

Because I'm using 3rd party filament I have a custom PLA material profile but that doesn't prevent changing settings in my profile.

I Cannot find xyz ware version 1.2.0

12 (edited by sbarabe 2020-05-04 03:56:23)

Hi,

I have my minimaker for a few weeks now. I'm using NTAG215 to use others PLA and now I'm trying to use Cura. I've manage to replicate the purge line from XYZprinting  :

;Generated with Cura_SteamEngine 4.6.1
M104 S205
M105
M109 S205
M82 ;absolute extrusion mode
G28 ;Home
;Prime the extruder
G92 E0
G1 F200 E3
G92 E0
[b]; purge line
G1 X0.0 Y150.0 F1000.0 ; move front border of print volume
G1 Y130.0 F1000.0
G1 Z0.4 F6000
G1 Y30.0 E15 F300 ; start purge line
G1 X3.0 E15.5 F300
G1 Y130 E30.5 F300
G1 X0.0 E31 F300 ; finish purge line
G1 Z2.0 F6000 ; Z retract[/b]

This purge line works fine for me.

I did print a temperature tower and  a speed tower with Cura on the minimaker, the speed tower reveals that I've poor results if I go at print speed more then 20mm/sec. This was with Eryone Yellow PLA at 210C and 0.2mm layers. I've seen that some of you can print at 60mm/ss ? what are you PLA brand, temperature, layers height ?

http://soliforum.com/i/?UlgGhjx.jpg

Also, I've have hard time printing large flat surface or long items. There is so much warping, even the tape comes off with the print. So there is glue, but the tape comme of the bed... Any tips ?

http://soliforum.com/i/?9VS0wf0.jpg

Warping at the top and bottom !
Never mind the under extrusion, that is another issue...

[email protected] wrote:

I Cannot find xyz ware version 1.2.0

Firmware version on the xyz site is now at 1.2.1

Is it possible to use XYZware with the da Vinci Minimaker or it's only XYZprint ?

XYZprint creates a lot of artifacts on a flat surface if you indent text or engrave details in that surface... When you zoom on the XYZprint preview, you can actually see those artifacts, so it's software related...

I'm trying to use CURA, but I do a lot of thin walls design and CURA not so good with them, or I didn't find any good setting yets... XYZprint is doing fine with thin walls, except for the artifacts !

Is XYZware better then XYZprint ?

Hello

I have made all the settings which XYZ describes in their PDF!

But I am not successful to use the Print Command. I shows only the "Save to File"! Why can't I see the Print Button on my Mac? I tied it with 2 different systems (10.13.6 & 10.15.4)

Any Hints?

@GerardDirks

I had a similar enough experience this week on windows 10 for my mini w+ via usb. Getting the drivers installed required me to disable driver signing and force driver installation on two separate device ids. After knocking that out from a couple hours of fiddling Cura finally saw the printer and presented a print button.

I don’t have specific advise for the Mac, but the behavior is similar enough that I suspect cura doesn’t know about the printer.

To be honest I would avoid printing live over USB and only use a card. If you are printing over USB and the PC restarts especially with Win10 it will cause the printer logic to lock up. This can result in the heater being left on but no longer monitored. It can and will began to glow red hot until it melts out of the hotend. It will then fall into the print and ignite it. This fire may stay small and contained or may spread and damage the room or even building the printer is in. For me I would rather use a card than risk the lives and property of myself and the other three families in my building.

18 (edited by GerardDirks 2020-06-09 11:24:58)

@carl_m1968

The mini series has no USB port for fitting an USB Card. You can only connect it by USB or WLAN

The file is complete sent to the printer. So it should finish also without connected to the PC, you are not able to pause or abort by the PC only by the button on the front of the machine

@18GerardDirks
You’re correct that the mini has no sd card. Using usb, however if cura crashes your print just stops. Because no further gcode is sent to the printer it just sits (in my case with the temp at 200 and the fan on full blast). While the print was ruined I noticed immediately and nothing tragic happened besides tossing that my 10 hour print. I do wish sdcard was an option.

20 (edited by carl_m1968 2020-07-03 23:19:28)

GerardDirks wrote:

@carl_m1968

The mini series has no USB port for fitting an USB Card. You can only connect it by USB or WLAN

The file is complete sent to the printer. So it should finish also without connected to the PC, you are not able to pause or abort by the PC only by the button on the front of the machine

I did not say anything about using a card over USB. I said I would use a card instead of USB. USB is dangerous in that it can cause the logic to crash or lockup leaving the heater on uncontrolled. You sometimes seem to read what you want to read instead of what is actually said.

@carl_m1968

Not all people in the world speak English as their native language, and therefore many mistakes are possible. I refuse to use the Google translator, because it only creates garbage and even more questions. (When I look at the company mails from XYZPrinting & Anycubic), I usually have to read the mails a dozen times to see what they mean (they probably use the Alibaba translator ;-)

We decided to meet up and "tried" to write in English in this forum. Every day I speak, German, Dutch, French, Italian and a very, very little English. My Latin is only what I learned at high school/university. At school we only had English as an elective language, but most students prefer spanish as a second language ;-) We learned and tried to speak Oxford English. When I visit the USA, it is difficult to understand the dialect you speak!
Probably in 25 years everyone here in europe will speak Mandarin as a second language, because one person has caused so much damage that everyone has lost interest in doing business with the USA.

The 2 largest speaking countries in the world, USA and UK, are both losing power in the global world because they have Harlequin as Prime Minister or President.

To reach the most people in the world we would have to speak Mandarin (more than 1 billion people) or Spanish (540 million)! English is only spoken by 360 million people.

Probably 1/3 of the people living in "your state of Texas" speak Spanish, so we need to be a little more tolerant. If you come to Europe, we have tried to communicate with you in English. We do not ask you if you want to speak classical Greek or Esperanto or the common European languages ;-)
Look at the Arabs, they will never speak your language! They can still do so because they have the stuff the world needs (oil). Everything else that the world needs, probably 50% comes from Asia, not from Europe or the USA. In 10 years China will produce more airplanes than Boeing and Airbus together!

I think a harlequin in Washington DC had a different opinion about this!
BTW: Enjoy your Independence Day today, it's probably his last as president ;-)

After the cura crash the other day. I’ve been exporting the cura generated gcode and using minimover to send the prints to the mini maker over usb. From my testing this is using the native da Vinci api and as a result does send the whole print to the printer (you can close minimover) and the print continues. This removes the risk of cura crashing or windows rebooting or similar failures. A UPS would still be nice to not lose a print due to power flickers but this has been a step in the right direction for me. If there are issues with this setup I’d appreciate some pointers, still a lot to learn as I push away from the native software.

23 (edited by JohnnyHopSeedz 2020-07-14 15:03:41)

Jcg068,

The paper tags should work still on your w+, I had a similar issue until I searched google and Found a site that has the tags and was super helpful in getting the right ones. I’m still printing with them on a 3 in 1 and mini w+.  I was tired of playing computer chip hacker to use my best filament and wanted to print with my systems already.  Try them if you haven’t gotten the tags to work or just want to print. smile hope this helps.

the direct product url didn't work but oh well.
https://ad-up.net

I hope you get printing again!

JHS

@JohnnyHopSeedz

Pls control the URL, there are some hidden characters!

Hello, I have XYZ davinci 1.0 pro with system version 1.4.0 and Cura version 3.6.0 .
I've tried several configurations but there has always been something wrong.
I am looking for help finding the correct settings for Cura and specifically I mean StartG-code, EndG-code