Topic: printed miniature gears, don't fit each other

I have printed some gears With an Anycubic Photon LCD that are meant to rotate each other but their <1mm wide teeth seem to be too thick. It feels like DLP printers extrude the printed object and thicken it a little in real life or the opposite, shrinks. Is this a correct assumption and expected behavior? How can it be accounted for, how much thinner or thicker should the 3d file walls or size be from the expected result to be printed correctly?

2 (edited by pirvan 2020-01-15 14:16:44)

Re: printed miniature gears, don't fit each other

Lower the exposure time a little.  For example, if you're using 10 sec, go down to 8 sec and see how it comes out.  Dont change the exposure for the first layers, those are needed for insuring good adhesion to the build platform.  Only change the main exposure.

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

It will also shrink some if you leave it soaking to long in alcohol. I soak for five then have a spray bottle with alcohol that a spray with to rinse forcefully. Then I cure for 15 minutes max.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

carl_m1968 wrote:

It will also shrink some if you leave it soaking to long in alcohol. I soak for five then have a spray bottle with alcohol that a spray with to rinse forcefully. Then I cure for 15 minutes max.

It's the other way around.  Soaking it in alcohol for too long will absorb the alcohol and make it swell up.

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

pirvan wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:

It's the other way around.  Soaking it in alcohol for too long will absorb the alcohol and make it swell up.

It makes Wanhao stuff shrink. But based on it's smell good knows what might be in that stuff.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.