Topic: Advice for setting up Da Vinci Mini W

Hello Soliforum, this is my first post here though I will shortly make a post in the introduction thread.

I received a XYZprinting Da Vinci Mini W for Christmas.  It's my first 3D printer, and it it working well for me so far.  However, I simply have a few questions regarding how I can optimally set up this printer to fix any problems I might be missing.

I am unsurprisingly using XYZprint to slice my models and operate the printer.  While I may not be able to use third-party software outright, is there some kind of workaround such as slicing models in another program and importing them into XYZprint?  Or am I completely stuck with the provided software?

In addition, I would appreciate specifics on how I can manually calibrate the printer and ditch the auto-levelling feature.  From what I understand from lurking around Google, I want to adjust the height of the bed relative to the nozzle.  XYZ has no documentation on how to do this.

Finally, I have heard rumblings of exploits with which to bypass the chipped filament system and use PLA from other sources.  I have located guides for other XYZ printers, but not for my model.  I would appreciate some kind of link to resources I can use to accomplish this task.

Thank you for having me here, and I extend thanks in advance to the reader of this post.  I believe I have posted this topic in the right section of the forum, but if not I hope it can be moved.

2 (edited by SpoolyMcSpoolson 2020-01-02 19:45:52)

Re: Advice for setting up Da Vinci Mini W

You can definitely use slic3r / cura / simplify3d with your machine - keep googling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua_j964N2_4

There are lots of ways.
simplify3D can export directly if you have the $$ to buy it.
Cura can work too and is free.

I just export to SD card and print from SD - I have never connected my Davinci directly to my PC
(I am afraid of DRM firmware upgrades)

Using 3rd party filament is easy - especially if you have an old Android phone with NFC.
But I would advise - never buy the cheapest filament on Amazon  - it will just trash your nozzle.
Buy good filament - personaly I use XYZ filament that has been discounted,
I think they have good QC
Otherwise - try a good brand that has good reviews - eg - reviews on here - not amazon reviews lol smile

beware of spending more time tinkering with your printer rather than actually using your printer.
don't forget to make amazing things!

SpoolyMcSpoolson wrote:

You can definitely use slic3r / cura / simplify3d with your machine - keep googling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua_j964N2_4

There are lots of ways.
simplify3D can export directly if you have the $$ to buy it.
Cura can work too and is free.

I just export to SD card and print from SD - I have never connected my Davinci directly to my PC

Thank you for the reply!  After doing some more research I found the miniMover utility which I think will work well for me, as it is said to support my printer.  I did perhaps foolishly update the firmware on my printer via XYZprint, but I have not noticed any problems.  However, I will refrain from updating the firmware in the future.  This printer does not seem to have a SD card on it, so that's not an option for me.  I'll try it out tonight and see how it goes.

I got my Mini 2 years ago for Xmas too, and I'm still rather amazed what a nice job this little guy does.  I agree with just sticking with the XYZ filament - I too wait for sales on Amazon, and I have never had an issue.  I've also had very good luck with STL designs on Thingaverse, and eventually learned Fusion 360 to make my own designs mostly for household appliance repair or mod parts, etc. The nice thing about Fusion 360 is, there are tons and tons of lessons on YT to help you get started. And once you are done, you can export the file right into the XYZ Print app.

Enjoy, and as Spooly share, just use it.  Make sure you calibrate before each print, and use painters blue tape on the bed with a light amount of Elmer Stick Glue.  You only have to reapply once in a while or after you replace the tape.  After each print, you will see the outline, and all you have to do is take a lightly damp sponge to redistribute the glue.