Topic: Asking for Safety advice

Hi,
Im new to all this 3d printing stuff, and I am a little bit confused about the safety issues that resin handling can cause.
I would like to start asap, but suddenly i am reading several sources and some of them very varied about the hazards of the resin (ranging from its radioactive shit to i had the stuff on my skin and nothing happened). I am usin the elegoo resin and am printing with the MARS.
I have the space to print and handle the printing in my bedroom right away, the only thing that bothers me its the safety of my cat and myself. Also I have the possibility to print in a small cellar room of the block where I live, but then again I will not be able to control or supervise the printing all the time, and there will be also the chance to have the printer stolen or to being bothered by the janitor.

Is there someone with experience printing in the same bedroom where one lives?
Thank you.

Re: Asking for Safety advice

H Armand wrote:

Hi,
Im new to all this 3d printing stuff, and I am a little bit confused about the safety issues that resin handling can cause.
I would like to start asap, but suddenly i am reading several sources and some of them very varied about the hazards of the resin (ranging from its radioactive shit to i had the stuff on my skin and nothing happened). I am usin the elegoo resin and am printing with the MARS.
I have the space to print and handle the printing in my bedroom right away, the only thing that bothers me its the safety of my cat and myself. Also I have the possibility to print in a small cellar room of the block where I live, but then again I will not be able to control or supervise the printing all the time, and there will be also the chance to have the printer stolen or to being bothered by the janitor.

Is there someone with experience printing in the same bedroom where one lives?
Thank you.

I have used my D7 in the living room of a 635 sqft. apartment for a few years now and I never use gloves either. No issues. Just dont eat it. It is not radioactive but the prints are very brittle and if have a dog or cat that chews on things a finished print could hurt them as they break with sharp edges.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

3 (edited by pirvan 2019-12-16 20:12:35)

Re: Asking for Safety advice

Like Carl said, the stuff is really benign.  I've owned a couple of Form 1+ printers and an Ancyubic Photon, and I've routinely used my bare hands to remove prints, clean them, clean the tank, etc.

I don't particularly have sensitive skin, but this stuff doesn't seem to do anything other than make your hands feel greasy.  I wouldn't spread it on my sandwich, mind you, but other than that I don't worry about it.

Regarding smell, some resins are "smellier" than others.  ApplylabWorks smells like detergent, normal FomLabs resins smell like acrylic, Anycubic resin smells like liquid plastic or floor shine/cleaner.  None of these are terribly objectionable, especially when the cover is closed.

Then there's the flexible stuff.  ow that stuff smells horrible.  I couldn't being the same room with it while printing.

But the bottom line is, that none of it is really toxic.

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.