Topic: question about enclosure (top) for my printer.

I recently purchased an Ultimaker S3 and was going to put an enclosure ( top) on it.
I was talking to one of the people from Ultimaker  about it and he recommended against it. he told me that the temp in the enclosure could over time distort the plastic around the X and Y axis shafts and cause bad prints. I know with my old 2X which was enclosed the highest temp ever reaches was 130°F and that was in the middle of summer when the air conditioning was out.
am I missing something here will the enclosure get much hotter printing say Nylon or PC. and is the plastic that cheap where 130°f enough to soften the plastic.

Thanks
Dale

Ultimaker S3.

Re: question about enclosure (top) for my printer.

Before thinking about nylon or pc you need to find out if that hotend has a teflon liner or if it is all metal. If it has a liner the temps that nylon and pc use will not only destroy it but will also cause it to outgass and release toxic fumes. As for the cover just use towel unfolded like I do on my 4MAX. It allows some heat to escape but keeps out drafts which is the main concern. You need the temp consistent, not necessary high in the cabinet.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

3 (edited by dubbsd 2019-11-16 18:20:13)

carl
As you can see my ultimaker S3 Nozzle is capable of printing a wide range of filament without problems.

http://soliforum.com/i/?MyKuING.jpg

Ultimaker S3.

i don't see an S3 listed on that chart...
there is a 3 and there is an S5 - but not S3

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

the S3 is the same as the S5 but a smaller foot print.

Ultimaker S3.