Topic: Invisible layer lines! How is it possible?

I'm facing a strange behaviour.
Half of my prints has visible layers, the other half has an almost perfectly smooth surface.

It shows that is possible to have not visible layers, but I can't understand how!

Moreover, I noticed if I raise the temperature layers are more visible If I reduce the temperature surfaces seems smoother, but If I reduce too much the temperature surfaces become much smoother but also surfaces become deformed and bent.

How is it possible?
How can I have 100% of the piece perfectly smooth?

Has someone faced the same?

http://soliforum.com/i/?H6wJmMv.jpg

Re: Invisible layer lines! How is it possible?

Your machine has mechanical problems. That is called z banding and unless the lower section is supposed to look that way which I guess it is not your z axis is moving from side to side as the print ,moves up till it gets to a point half way where the mechanical issue is no longer present and it smooths out. I assume the model is supposed to have the same surface through out as the left side. The right side bands are the issues and should not be there. If it is the other way around then there is still a mechanical issue of some sort.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Looks like the object goes from almost square at the bottom to round at the top.

LIke Carl said, likely mechanical in that the motion components of your machine have some play that results in ringing when the machine vibrates.

The square shape at the lower layer requires more drastic directional changes resulting in vibration and ringing. As you go up ,the shape gets rounder and there are less and less jarring directional changes resulting in less vibration and ringing.

Maurone999 wrote:

I'm facing a strange behaviour.
Half of my prints has visible layers, the other half has an almost perfectly smooth surface.

It shows that is possible to have not visible layers, but I can't understand how!

Moreover, I noticed if I raise the temperature layers are more visible If I reduce the temperature surfaces seems smoother, but If I reduce too much the temperature surfaces become much smoother but also surfaces become deformed and bent.

How is it possible?
How can I have 100% of the piece perfectly smooth?

Has someone faced the same?

http://soliforum.com/i/?H6wJmMv.jpg

sorry, but those are not individual layer lines you are seeing.
that is most definitely Z banding, and each one of those "ridges" is made up of multiple layers - especially if you were using a 0.1 layer height.

Z banding is definitely a mechanical problem. There is something loose, somewhere, that is allowing movement that should not be there.
For this particular issue, it is quite often the bed that is wobbling around. I would start there.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

Thanks to everyone! I think you are extremely right.
I added a sort of guide on the top of the z-crew and results are better but not the best: I can still see some z-wobble.

Observing the printer I noticed that:
1. X-axes (where the extruder is mount) is not perfectly perpendicular to the bed
2. when the z-screw rotates the coupler has a not perfectly horizontal rotation

At the moment I don't have the right screwdriver to calibrate the bed, I will buy it tomorrow.

Do you think z-wobble is due to a bad bed calibration or it is a bad alignment of the z-coupler (or even worst a bad alignment of the z-screw motor.. I really hope not)?

Thank you all for your support smile

there can be a multitude of reasons for it.
All of the things you mentioned are possible in addition to a bent Z screw, general wear and tear (how old is the printer? did you have this issue when it was new, or is it a more recent development), binding due to lack of lubrication..
It will be up to you to try to figure out what exactly is causing it, but I think you are already on your way with noticing the coupler movement.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

Thank you @heartless

The printer is 4 years old, but it is almost new with an extruder total time of 11 hours, and the z screw is well lubricated as well as all the rails. Belts are tight. Extruder runs smoothly.

I noticed the issue lately, printing cylindrical shapes, but looking at the old prints it seems the trouble is not new so I suppose the printer came out of the factory in this way.

I checked the alignment of the bed and it is totally horizontal (unfortunately!).
So I think the issue is due to the coupler or the z screw. Is it correct?

As I said the coupler spins in a not perfect way, so I will try to fix it. Is there some tips or trick I should know about this?

Talking about the z screw and the possibility of replacing it, are they standard?

Using the host move the bed to it's lower or max limit. The using the host send a home command for the bed using the jog buttons on the printers control panel in the host. As it homes watch the movement of the bed from top to bottom. There should be absolutely no horizontal movement in the X or Y directions. If there is which I suspect there will be then you need to figure out what it is. Yes Repetier Host and click tools at the top the open Machine control panel.

I checked the alignment of the bed and it is totally horizontal

the bed being perfectly horizontal has absolutely nothing to do with what is going on..

if the bed moves in that horizontal plane, when it should not, THAT is where the problem lies and that is what you need to correct

I checked the vertical movement as you suggested and I found the problem is the z leadscrew. I disassembled the z screw and moving it on an horizontal plane is clear it is bent.

Now the problem is clear, but how to solve it seams hard.

I have a Da Vinci Mini w, but I can't get technical data about the z screw. I measured the diameter and it seams to be 5mm. Does z screw are all with standard dimensions (diameter and screw pitch)? I'm having some troubles because it's hard to find a 5mm screw.

Some advice?

Thank you very much.

11 (edited by heartless 2019-11-18 12:53:50)

no, not all printers will have the same type or size of Z screw. there is no such thing as a "set standard" for 3d printers..
some use actual threaded rod, others use what are called "lead screws".. 5mm threaded rod is not uncommon, so it should not be that difficult to find.

here is one offering.. not sure how long it is, but I bet if you emailed them, they would tell you - chances are you would have to cut to the correct length, regardless.
https://folgertech.com/collections/line … i3-5mm-0-8

Thanks Heartless smile

What is the difference between a threaded rod and a lead screw? How can I discover if mine is one or the other?

Moreover, if I know my screw is 5mm of diameter, and the maximum resolution is 0,001mm, the screw pitch has to be fixed, the same of other screws, right? I mean, there are thousand printers with a z screw of D 5mm and a resolution of 0,001mm, so there must be a sort of standard given by mathematics... Or not?

Maurone999 wrote:

Moreover, if I know my screw is 5mm of diameter, and the maximum resolution is 0,001mm, the screw pitch has to be fixed, the same of other screws, right? I mean, there are thousand printers with a z screw of D 5mm and a resolution of 0,001mm, so there must be a sort of standard given by mathematics... Or not?

You can buy an entire new printer of this type on ebay for $200 that alone is worth the price in spare parts. Just buy a new one and use your old one for spare parts.

honestly, i would not recommend buying "cheap" printers to anyone, you get what you pay for.

this is a lead screw - has special "nuts"...

http://soliforum.com/i/?FbfXn3q.jpg

this is a threaded rod - takes regular nuts...

http://soliforum.com/i/?gOoKTlX.jpg

carl_m1968 wrote:
Maurone999 wrote:

You can buy an entire new printer of this type on ebay for $200 that alone is worth the price in spare parts. Just buy a new one and use your old one for spare parts.

You are completely right, I saw Ender 3 on alibaba for 200$, and this is a good printer, but what I have now is a sort or gift and I am attached to that.. And I also would not buy another one just because I already have one working fine related to what I have to do at the moment. Without wobble it would be almost perfect for me

heartless wrote:

honestly, i would not recommend buying "cheap" printers to anyone, you get what you pay for.

this is a lead screw - has special "nuts"...

http://soliforum.com/i/?FbfXn3q.jpg

this is a threaded rod - takes regular nuts...

http://soliforum.com/i/?gOoKTlX.jpg

Perfect! Mine is threaded rod. So, if I know the diameter is 5mm and max resolution 0.001, what screw pitch is mine?

It is not so bent, do you think with a flexible coupler I can mitigate the trouble?

5 mm well nut

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Tin Falcon wrote:

5 mm well nut

a well nut is not going to fix a bent rod, Tin.

5mm threaded rods are typically available with only one thread pitch.. the one I linked to earlier should work just fine.

heartless wrote:
Tin Falcon wrote:

5 mm well nut

a well nut is not going to fix a bent rod, Tin.

5mm threaded rods are typically available with only one thread pitch.. the one I linked to earlier should work just fine.

What you suggested seems good, but I'm in Italy and I would like to avoid paying too much for the shipping. If. The screw pitch is almost standard I will try to order something in an Italian shop.

Do you think a flexible coupler will reduce rhe wobble?

no, a flexible coupler will not fix the wobble caused by a bent screw.

5mm threaded rod, 0.8 thread pitch should get you back in business.

as a side note, if you already have the old one out, try your local hardware store.. take the old one with you to verify size.

heartless wrote:

as a side note, if you already have the old one out, try your local hardware store.. take the old one with you to verify size.

This printer is driving me crazy hahahaha

I replaced threaded rod with a straight one. Vendor didn't know if the pitch was 1mm or 0.8mm but the rod perfectly fitted the nut. I mounted it but the results ware worst than before because it is a fully threaded rod and it is impossible to mount it perfectly vertical because of screws on the coupler push and pull it badly.

So I mounted again the old thread rod (that is not so bent) because it has a smoothed bottom part. I tried to adjust the vertical position with the screw on the coupler, screwing and little unscrewing those trying to find the right position, but it is almost impossible because of the tension caused by the screws in the coupler that push and pull the rod.

So I think the trouble is the coupler!

How can I solve this problem? Flexible coupler is a good idea?

Thank you for your time :)

Here my coupler

http://soliforum.com/i/?FGsyWMB.jpg

I use one like this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328580 … b201603_55