1 (edited by dubbsd 2019-10-26 14:33:43)

Topic: is a 15 to 20ft ethernet cable to long

does the length of the ethernet cable to the printer affect the print process.
i need one between 15ft and 20ft long

Thanks
Dale

Ultimaker S3.

Re: is a 15 to 20ft ethernet cable to long

Don't really know.  I used a 50 ft cat5 cable to connect a printer in the garage from the computer room.  I probably suffered in speed, but it took me time to get from the comp room to the printer...  I know there is a limit that after that requires an amplifier/booster or something.  15 or 20 ft should not lose any data - try it and see how it works.

Ski

Ender 3 Pro

Thanks

Ultimaker S3.

to be certified 90 meter of solid in wall cable and a 10 meter patch cable . So you are well within the limits.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Are we talking about network cable or USB cable? I was not aware of a printer that worked over RJ45 cable?

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

I tend to go with the 50 ft! 20 ft can be good thought in my opinion.. smile

carl_m1968 wrote:

Are we talking about network cable or USB cable? I was not aware of a printer that worked over RJ45 cable?

Carl, some of the smoothie based boards have an RJ45 port and built in web interface.

Though dubbsd could still mean USB.

dubbsd, if you truly mean Ethernet, the max length between nodes is 328 feet (100 m).  Longer runs will start to suffer from attenuation which will result in errors and re-sends slowing down the connection.

saw a whole bin of 50 footers for sale at microcenter yesterday if that helps

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

The specification for Cat5e cable is 100m (330ft,) but you may find errors causing network speed to slow down at this extreme. 5m, or 150 ft, works well draped under and around a house up to 100Mbps. We used to regularly run 100m on minesites and the like.