Topic: Is there a 3D printer that competes with this one? Look for opinions

Hey all,

I've been doing some research on up and coming 3D printers and stumbled upon the Creativebot Duo. It's a large-format 3D printer that hasn't yet been released but looks promising. I'd love to hear all of your opinions on the product and if you could answer some of my questions I'll be forever grateful!

Here's the link to the specs.

I have a few questions:

1. Is there another 3D printer that combines the capabilities of so many different specialized 3D printers into one (prints both large and very detailed and small objects?)

2. Is there another 3D printer that has as many 'actual' features as this one does (I wouldn't consider a hotbed to be a feature yet some companies do)?

3. Is there any other printer that competes with the price of this one and does as much ($8000)?

4. What are the pros and cons of this printer, relative to what's out there in the market today?

Thank you for your opinions! I'd love to hear from members of this great community smile

Re: Is there a 3D printer that competes with this one? Look for opinions

First of all the print volume in his i unit is huge SO it will take a week to print with any detail at or near max capacity.
Secondly to print such large print one must use large rolls of filament a standard 2 kilo roll will not go far.
the price tag is also quite large way to high for the hobby market.
The other question that comes to mind is will this printer ever be produced. the "CEO" of the company pictured in the web site is an 18 year old kid still working out of his parent s garage. He does have guts . and is HOPING to move to some sort of business location.
if one want to print fine detail and large prints on the same printer simply replace the nozzle and change the appropriate parameters.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

the larger you go, the longer it takes - exponentially.

it is not as simple as standard size piece takes 3 hrs, so scale it up to twice it's size - it takes 6 hrs.. no, more like 10 or 12 hours -
scale up to 3 times the size, you are probably looking at 18-20 hrs of print time.

sure the idea is nice, but not very practical in reality.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

Especially since you can't let a printer run unattended.  Unless of course you want to burn your home, shop, business down. If you are going to run long prints then you or somebody needs to check on the machine in 15 to 30 minute intervals to make sure logic hasn't frozon and it is now on thermal runaway. Yes the heater in the hot end can get hot enough to melt the block on the hot end. There have been several homes lost to 3d printers.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

5 (edited by Tin Falcon 2019-10-22 21:42:56)

yes the law of scaling say a 2" cube takes for sake of argument 2 hours to  print. then a 20" in  cube will take 2000 hours
and a 10 in cube a mere 250 hours
. all thinks the same  I know bigger nozzle thicker layer's etc will help this but it will still take longer.

IMHO this printer is the dream of an ambitious young man. Will it be more I guess time will tell.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

the bigger, the longer. I think its all personal preference and how much time you want to spend on working on a piece/print.