Topic: Too slow

To make filastruder operational for me, i need 2kg/day, but i'm getting 1kg of filament each 17 hours at 195 ºC.

PID is set as automatic.

Re: Too slow

oliveiraha wrote:

To make filastruder operational for me, i need 2kg/day, but i'm getting 1kg of filament each 17 hours at 195 ºC.

PID is set as automatic.

Then buy another. Just like printers the Filastruders have a max speed and if it is not fast enough then you just have to buy more.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Or invest in a flabot  https://www.filabot.com/products/filabot-original-ex2

https://www.filabot.com/products/ex2-bundle

a bit more money than the filastuder  but more capability advertised at about 2lb per hour

An option not pressure.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

The motor is 15.6 kgf with 8rpm. What if I upgrade?

oliveiraha wrote:

The motor is 15.6 kgf with 8rpm. What if I upgrade?

I am pretty sure the motor is not your issue. It most likely is heating. The filastruder can't generate enough heat to extrude at a higher rate.

Just like when you print, the filament acts as a heat sink and sucks heat away from the hotend. that faster you print the faster this happens and it why we have to raise the temps at higher print speeds.

Same holds true for making filament as well. The extruded filament is pulling heat away from the system. Like we mentioned you either need a better system that can meet your demands, or more machines that can do the same.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Heat is not a limiting factor, motor power is. You can upgrade the motor, but the torque limit of the barrel is not much higher than the motor itself.

Elmoret, which motor do you recommend for this upgrade? Also any other suggestions?

Carl, the temperature I think is working well.
At 189-195°c I got 1.7mm white coloured
At 200-215 I got 1.5mm light grey
At 220-235 I got 1.3mm grey

To add more info:
As said in the manual about the STALL BOARD:

Blue: Indicates motor is drawing between 10% and 99% of the current limit. This is normal.
Green: Indicates motor is drawing less than 10% of the current limit. This is possible if the motor is not driving a load.

Mine is always in green.

12u in 11.9u out 0.8a 10p

oliveiraha wrote:

Elmoret, which motor do you recommend for this upgrade? Also any other suggestions?

I don't recommend upgrading the motor, because the barrel's yield strength is not a whole lot higher. The whole machine was designed around certain parameters, torque being one of them.

oliveiraha wrote:

Carl, the temperature I think is working well.
At 189-195°c I got 1.7mm white coloured
At 200-215 I got 1.5mm light grey
At 220-235 I got 1.3mm grey

This is what I'd expect, at higher temperatures you're cooking the plastic.

oliveiraha wrote:

If you're not nearing the torque limit (which is 1.6 amps, so you're at half of it), you could increase voltage to the motor to increase speed - but this will wear the brushes faster.

elmoret wrote:
oliveiraha wrote:

If you're not nearing the torque limit (which is 1.6 amps, so you're at half of it), you could increase voltage to the motor to increase speed - but this will wear the brushes faster.

So, I'll try to reach close to 1.6a and see if the speed increases. To do it, I must turn clockwise the cc how many times more than 15?

I didn't say anything about increasing the current limit, you should not increase the current limit.

oliveiraha wrote:

To add more info:
As said in the manual about the STALL BOARD:

Blue: Indicates motor is drawing between 10% and 99% of the current limit. This is normal.
Green: Indicates motor is drawing less than 10% of the current limit. This is possible if the motor is not driving a load.

Mine is always in green.

If you're drawing 0.8A, and that is less than 10% of the limit you have set (which needs to be limited to 1.6A) I would think if anything you need to go back and make sure your current limit is set to 1.6A.

Are you set on a specific resin (haven't seen you mention what you are using)?  Even among plastic types some extrude much faster than others.  Eg, if you are wanting ABS you're going to find MG94 extrudes much quicker than a lot of other types of ABS.  PLA generally extrudes slower for me than anything else.  PETG shoots out of there like greased lightning (but at the same time PETG can easily break things too if your stall limit isn't set currently - it tends to be very viscous).

I am extruding Eastar PETG at 200C, 2.85mm. I can do 2lbs in about 5 hrs or so. I love this PETG, I have used close to 110 Lbs. over several years. There are some subtle/easy mods that I have done to the Filastruder to achieve this, Just let me know if you want to start a dialog. It has been a long time since I have.