Topic: Patents

When I first got interested in 3D Printing a few years ago (I even gave a Toastmasters speech on the topic) I read a lot of excitement about patents that were about to expire.
Any patents expired/expiring in the last/next 18 months or so?
And also, what "future patent" would you most like to see?

Re: Patents

https://3dprintingindustry.com/news/man … iew-21708/

https://3dprintingindustry.com/news/mor … dup-96561/

The one that comes to mind is the Sratysis Patten on the build chamber being an oven. This Patten is soon to expire.
So we may see more reprap type machines with heated temp controlled chambers. Although IMHO ABS is not as common as it used to be and many newer superior plastics are available. I see 120 volt chamber heaters are now available as well as thermostats to control them . It is my understanding a utility Patten lasts 20 years . so anything older than that becomes fair game /open to use.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

I find it hard to believe that in 2019 you position your extruder by seeing how easily a piece of paper slides under it (from what I read). An automatic, digital way of doing this would seem to be a great patent that would seem doable. Am I right?

4 (edited by Tin Falcon 2019-08-25 16:03:05)

You are correct on both counts. Many of us prefer the tried and try method of bed leveling better called bed tramming.
There are plenty of printers that also have automatic bed leveling .  a PRUSSA mk3 comes with this feature standard. there is also the bl touch that is a common bed probe. there are several sensors that can do this some are mechanical switches. some are capacitive and some are simply electrical contacts. this is as far as I know all open source so you can not patent an existing technology.

Am I right?

Nope pretty much off base on current technology. Much you have to learn .

and also, what "future patent" would you most like to see?

Pattents are often hard to get and easily cercumventented and benefit one person or company.

There are several companies that are open sourced and do quite well. most of the folks here prefer the open sourced pattern.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

Nope pretty much off base on current technology. Much you have to learn .

That is what I am here for, to learn.
I tried several fora on 3D Printing. This one by far seems the most user-friendly and responsive. I think I'm gonna stay.

If you are anywhere near Belair MD USA you may be interested in this event.

http://eastcoastreprapfestival.com/

also  posting your general location in your profile helps us hep you.

There are several  you tube channels that can be helpful

Tom Salander
Makers muse
cnc kitchen
3d printing Nerd

Welcome to the forum
many days not a lot of activity but some very good knowledgeable folks here.

I live in Northeast Ohio.
I am trying to get the following image into the profile as my avatar:
http://gdxforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php … tar#p37465
Someone else made it for me, and I forgot how to post it on my profile, especially as I think it is 90X90.
I would have to use the caption as my signature, it is much too small to be seen:
SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

I din't think you can have an avatar until you have become a member. Right now your are still considered a newbie.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

so it would be a6 hour  plus or minus drive for you

10 (edited by Tom_Mazanec 2019-08-26 00:35:20)

I have trouble driving, so that is too far.
If I am still a newbie, that is fine. I can wait.
EDIT: I see I just became a member. Yippee!

I read in a 2019 book that changing filaments quicker and more easily, to do different colors, etc., is a "breakthrough" area of 3D printing. Is anything new coming in that area?

yes a lot of research development and experimentation going on with multi color filament.
the prusa MK3 has a multifilament unit. E3D has a tool changer and mosaic has the pallet and canvas program. They even had a setup with IIRC 16 pallet units set up to feed into a single nozzle allowing for 64 colors to be printed.