Topic: Library getting 3D Printer

My local library is getting a 3D Printer next month. I have borrowed a bunch of books on 3D Printing in preparation and hope to try it out.
What things should I be aware of in using a library 3D Printer (bear in mind I am a noob)?
They plan to use TinkerCAD, Blender and another (name forgotten) intermediate in difficulty between them. I of course will start on TinkerCAD.

Re: Library getting 3D Printer

A library printer . When I inquired about the printer at the local library I found it was locked in the basement in the electronics resource room . IE you could give them an stl file and they would print it for you the public apparently never got to see the printer  much less touch it. I hope your experice will be better.

There are many printers out there . many good ones and they all have there quirks and limitations. without knowing what the library has purchased I can not give any advice.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

from a design aspect, orientation is everything.

most printers build up from the bottom (ie: bed platform) - so how a piece is oriented on that platform will have a lot of bearing on the success of the print.

think of a capitol letter "T" - you would not want to print this in it's normal upright orientation as the crossbar would not print well - even with supports, rather you would flip it upside down so the crossbar is on the platform, and the leg in the air. Far greater chance of success in printing.
in general, try to orient things to use the least amount of support structures as possible.

also, for a fused filament printer, very small (less than 1"), very detailed things are very difficult to print well. those types of things are better suited for resin type printers, so knowing what type of printer would have a bearing on what you can expect out of it.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

4 (edited by Tin Falcon 2019-08-26 00:09:37)

Heartless is correct. Even if a   printer has built in support and auto positioning of the part. you are still better off avoiding large amounts of support material.
for some reason there do not seem to be any clear concise design guides for 3d printing. that said search the web and look at a few. there are many pitfalls to avoid  thin walls , overhangs over 45 degrees long bridges. non manifold parts etc.  some designers recommend putting all designs through a second program to detect and repair such mistakes.
Also one need to keep in mind the purpose of the print  designing a mechanical part  that will be sand cast  versus a artistic part to be investment cast is different . and a part that is to be the end product will require different plastic.
Also download and read the sli3er manual.  or the manual foam another free to use slicing program.

Havening a basic idea of slicer settings will put you ahead of the game. in general 2 to 4  solid layers at the bottom of the part 2 -4 perimeters and 2-4 top layers. then 10 to 20 % infill will work for most cases. Although there are time one can use slicer as part of the design process and eliminate top layer, bottom layers and or infill.
Books are fine but likely written from a perspective of one printer and likely for professional use. so you may find the reality of the new printer a bit different.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

Called the library (they only open a few hours on Sundays).
It is a Flashforge Finder.

So it is a $350 usd printer designed for kids and novises.

specs here https://www.flashforge.com/consumer/detail/Finder?id=8

No heated bed so will print PLA and tpu 95 a hardener semi flexible material.

Flash forge has been around a while and this is one of there lower end models for the entry level market.

You can download the flashprint software and the manual here  http://www.flashforge.com.hk/downloads.html

good luck

it is also quite small - only a 140mm cubed print area.. that is about 5.5 inches.. I would suggest not making anything larger than 5 inches to be safe.
If you want something larger, you would have to cut it up into pieces that will fit the printer's volume.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

8 (edited by Tom_Mazanec 2019-08-25 21:20:08)

Thanks, Tim.
I printed it out at the library (just made it before they closed).
BTW, if anyone wants to know more about me personally, you can visit my vanity page. It's a bit of a gravesite (last updated 2014) but it has some stuff about me:
http://tmazanec1.xepher.net/

FYI for $140 you can have one for yourself
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FlashForge-Fin … SwEGpb0xNE

the caravat these are returned printers and often have some flaw . They are sold as parts machines as is.
most machines are up and running n an hour or two sometimes one needs to spend money on parts.
This guy has been selling flashforge machines on e bay for at least a couple of years I have not personally dealt with him so can not vouch for him or the product. You could get a great printer or you could get one that was dropped off a truck.

If you think you want to go this route do your own research make your own decision read the customer feedback carefully
and he does have other flash forge machines for sale as well. .

I am in the bottom quartile of income. I will have to get very comfortable with 3D Printing before I spring for one of my own.
Also, I have a small apartment style condo and am short on room.
BTW, would it be a good idea to buy a Tinkercad book or two from Amazon?

11 (edited by Tin Falcon 2019-08-26 01:00:38)

would it be a good idea to buy a Tinkercad book or two from Amazon?

That isd up to you if you have decent computer and web access then check out the various tutorials on YouTube before spending money. If the answer to that is no check the library and try to check out a couple books. then buy the books if you need to.

Also check bookfinder.com it may save you a few bucks

https://www.bookfinder.com/search/?auth … &ac=qr

Here are a couple models I found that I would be interested in printing before I design my own.
Would there be issues in doing this on the library computer?
https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d … oose-35750
https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-model … t-low-poly

the meerkat may be ok (with support for the snout), but the skull would need a crap ton of supports and even then, no guarantees it would come out ok - not to mention trying to clean all those supports out without ruining the print.

something you will learn is that just because there is a 3d model of something does not mean it is going to be printable.

also, another site for you to look for models is https://www.thingiverse.com/ - there are several different meerkat models, and all of them are free.