1 (edited by robert.porfido 2019-08-13 18:02:10)

Topic: Help diagnosing problems with nylon powder extrusion

I was hoping to get some help with some of the problems I've been having trying to extrude nylon powder into filament. Sometimes its pure powder other times it has 5% metal flake/powder mixed in. I currently have the temperature set to anywhere from 200-210.

Both Pure and Mixed

• The filament creeps under its own weight causing a really fast draw down where it thins out to a hair like diameter.

• Sometimes the filament bunches up at the nozzle instead of shooting out (lack of pressure?) and possibly related it can be quite slow compared to my initial trials with ABS pellets.

Mixed Nylon/Metal

• When it isn't bunching up and I'm hand pulling to avoid the creep/draw down I manage to get some filament but there is typically (though not always) surface roughness present on the filament

I'd appreciate any insight into why these problems are present. Any suggestions for temperature or fan orientation or anything else would really help. Thanks.

2 (edited by carl_m1968 2019-08-13 18:28:19)

Re: Help diagnosing problems with nylon powder extrusion

robert.porfido wrote:

I was hoping to get some help with some of the problems I've been having trying to extrude nylon powder into filament. Sometimes its pure powder other times it has 5% metal flake/powder mixed in. I currently have the temperature set to anywhere from 200-210.

Both Pure and Mixed

• The filament creeps under its own weight causing a really fast draw down where it thins out to a hair like diameter.

• Sometimes the filament bunches up at the nozzle instead of shooting out (lack of pressure?) and possibly related it can be quite slow compared to my initial trials with ABS pellets.

Mixed Nylon/Metal

• When it isn't bunching up and I'm hand pulling to avoid the creep/draw down I manage to get some filament but there is typically (though not always) surface roughness present on the filament

I'd appreciate any insight into why these problems are present. Any suggestions for temperature or fan orientation or anything else would really help. Thanks.

You are supposed to have a spool and a winding system that will spool the filament at the correct speed to avoid under or over pull.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Re: Help diagnosing problems with nylon powder extrusion

carl_m1968 wrote:

You are supposed to have a spool and a winding system that will spool the filament at the correct speed to avoid under or over pull.

Yup I have the filawinder as well but I still need about 3 feet from nozzle tip to initially reaching the spool which is a challenge. Plus, the filawinder doesn't have perfect responsiveness so the delay might let the filament draw before the motor runs. Generally, like you suggested, if I can get it to the filawinder its not bad but that doesn't mean over draw isn't a problem before hand and during.

It's so sensitive to being drawn by its own weight or even my hand that manipulating it needs to be done very carefully and usually leads to thin diameter sections or kinked sections.