Topic: Nano resetting

Ian (hopefully you'll see this), my Filawinder used to be very reliable (it's probably one of your earliest), but over the years it has started to let itself down by resetting the nano and so completely losing its settings. i know the software is supposed to save the settings in EEPROM, but, when it resets, these don't seem to be re-loaded.

It will work for a while (just long enough to think I can go for a cup of tea) then it starts resetting and the servo jitters flicking the guide slot around, the shadow sensors stop working and everything gets in a mess. I feel sure it's a power supply problem.

I've tried several different supplies (they are independent from the Filastruder) and several different Nanos, but nothing helps. Is there a recognised solution?

I've looked on the forum, but there's nothing that helps there except for the tweak to the code which you seem to have already implemented. Is the on-board voltage regulator at the limit of it's ability to supply steady current?

Thanks.

Andy

Re: Nano resetting

The Nano draws power directly from the Filawinder power supply, there's no regulator in between.

If the power supply and nano have both been replaced, that leaves the motor or servo shorting/overloading the power supply, or the control board itself.

You could try running the system without any filament, and disconnecting one thing at a time until you're able to run for a long time. That would narrow down the cause.

Tim, thanks for the suggestions. I have replaced the servo a couple of times too, so it's either the motor or the pcb. Do you happen to know what the current draw is supposed to be when the motor is turning and when it's not?  That would enable me to home in on the culprit.

Don't worry if not. I'll plod on.

Is the pcb available to buy separately, if that proves to be the problem? 

Andy

I think I've worked it out.  And as is often the case with annoying troubles, it wasn't one problem, it was something I'd tried to fix earlier and created another problem.

Originally it was a problem with the servo going faulty.  In trying to work out what was wrong, I tried several other nanos, before eventually changing the servo.

Whilst messing about I must have killed the on-board voltage regulator on the final nano, so when I tested it using the USB plug, it seemed to work fine, but when it had to regulate the raw voltage down to 5v it kept failing.

Changing the on-board voltage regulator eventually sorted all the issues.

thanks for your time again, Tim.

Andy