Topic: Top hat failure

My dad and I both bought the same dlp sla printer. I have printed a few parts fine and he just did his first . But las night we both had the exact same problem. The part got most of the way done then it’s like it decided to print the most recent layer over and over and over again. I was printing their terminator and he was printing the human head. Does anyone know why? Both print files show the correct cross section. See attached photos.

Post's attachments

1639DE66-40A0-4BAB-9E93-E0800C9C56AB.jpeg 995.66 kb, 3 downloads since 2019-06-12 

669B1C75-3796-4DEC-A915-AB019E49D61F.jpeg 995.66 kb, 1 downloads since 2019-06-12 

669B1C75-3796-4DEC-A915-AB019E49D61F.jpeg 995.66 kb, 1 downloads since 2019-06-12 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Top hat failure

http://soliforum.com/i/?XyFJXoj.jpgHere’s the other.

3 (edited by zburhop 2019-06-12 22:12:59)

http://soliforum.com/i/?g00kKaA.jpg

zburhop wrote:

My dad and I both bought the same dlp sla printer. I have printed a few parts fine and he just did his first . But las night we both had the exact same problem. The part got most of the way done then it’s like it decided to print the most recent layer over and over and over again. I was printing their terminator and he was printing the human head. Does anyone know why? Both print files show the correct cross section. See attached photos.

post the STL files so we can take a look at them . If both printers did it then the files would be the most likely cause. Highly unlikely that both printers would have a similar issue at the same time.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Both .stls are fine. To clarify I printed the terminator and my dad printed the head. The terminator is one that has been passed around thingiverse forever. I have been able to print the exact .stl on this exact printer with no issue. The head is a part we have printed a million times on  Fdm. So what it comes down to is 2 of the same printer printing 2 different parts that have both been tested. Both .gif files show proper geometry. It’s like the screen froze on one design but the motor kept running.

So then is this error repeatable? Are the printers in the same house and where they printing at the same time? Could have been a power glitch that locked up the logic on the printer if it is not repeatable. If it is repeatable then you have an issue with the printers that like you said the system just keeps showing the same layer. In that case you need to see if the light is actually staying on or cycling as it should but just repeating the same layer.

One printer in on the east coast and one is on the west coast. I’m going to try to repeat. It’s a new printer design so I think I have a big on my hands.

8 (edited by justsomeguy 2019-06-13 18:51:03)

Are you able to look at the output of the slicing software?

It could be that the slicer outputted the same image for the top layers.

Or it could be that the printer firmware somehow stopped grabbing new images for the final layers even though the slicer outputted the correct image for that layer.

Answering these questions might help you narrow down where the problem is.

On my D7, the slicing sofware outputs a zip file that contains the image for each layer.

If the top X images are the same, you have a slicer problem. If they appear to be correct, then you have a host control software or firmware problem.

So my printer uses an animated gif for the layers. That’s what’s wierd is you can watch the gif and the output is perfect. I tried scaling the part way down last night and it started doing the same thing about half way through. I wonder if my printer can read an image folder too. I might try a better slic3r.

zburhop wrote:

So my printer uses an animated gif for the layers. That’s what’s wierd is you can watch the gif and the output is perfect. I tried scaling the part way down last night and it started doing the same thing about half way through. I wonder if my printer can read an image folder too. I might try a better slic3r.

lets be clear about something here..

Slic3r - with a 3 for the "e" = a specific "brand" of slicer

Slicer - no 3 = the generic term

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

Lol it auto corrected. What a useless reply.

12 (edited by carl_m1968 2019-06-14 16:37:26)

You know you came in here asking for help while providing very limited information. You have not told us what brand the printer is, what software it is using, what firmware it is using, what OS you are running the software on, is it streaming over USB or uploading the entire file for operation and so on.

All these things help and if we know what brand it is a person familiar with that brand could chime in.

So we have offered you blind advise and you pretty much shot all that advise down as if you already know the answers. For someone wanting help you are pushing people who could help you away.

Then Heartless offers innocent advise on the correct usage of terms and you call it useless. You could have simply said your phone/device auto-corrected and left it at that. If you are not happy with the advise you are getting you are welcome to go someplace else but I doubt you will find better pool of knowledge anywhere else.

At this point unless you are willing to be more cooperative and giving more information about your setup you are faced with packing it up and sending them back to the vendor for service or exchange and or getting them to help you over the phone or email.

We can't be expected to offer you much more with the limited amount of information you have given us.

As for that last post and excuse, your phone should not know how to spell Slic3r so it would not auto correct to Slic3r. If you typed Slic3r your phone would have asked to use Slicer or it would have corrected to Slicer or confirmed you wanted to use Slic3r.

Regardless Heartless was just wanting to make sure you where aware that Slic3r was a trademarked brand of a slicer and could not be used as a general name for other slicers.

That guy posting just to up his count and hear his own voice is irritating. Sorry I did not post my stl etc. I print thousands of parts a year professionally and on my own time. So there’s no since waisting time on “did you slice it right” or was there a power failure. Turns out there’s a bug with the printer which is what I expected. The manufacturer is being pretty good about fixing it. It’s a newer design.  All I was trying to do was verify that this wasn’t a common problem which you did. (This is my first sla printer so I’m not As fluent in troubleshooting As I am with FDM. It’s a MP mini SLA but no one asked lol I will post more when we get it worked out so someone else can hopefully use the info. Slic3r slic3r slic3r smile

zburhop wrote:

That guy posting just to up his count and hear his own voice is irritating. Sorry I did not post my stl etc. I print thousands of parts a year professionally and on my own time. So there’s no since waisting time on “did you slice it right” or was there a power failure. Turns out there’s a bug with the printer which is what I expected. The manufacturer is being pretty good about fixing it. It’s a newer design.  All I was trying to do was  which you did. (This is my first sla printer so I’m not As fluent in troubleshooting As I am with FDM. It’s a MP mini SLA but no one asked lol I will post more when we get it worked out so someone else can hopefully use the info. Slic3r slic3r slic3r smile

kind of hard to "verify that this wasn’t a common problem" when we know so little about the machine and the software you are using.

But yeah - whatever.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

Post counts don't mean anything here. I was trying to help based off your what equated to zero information.. But whatever. Maybe next time wait a year before buying the first model of a new printer. This rule applies to nearly everything. Never buy release year stuff as you are the tester and debugger.

16 (edited by zburhop 2019-06-15 20:47:40)

I Wasn’t even talking about you dude. I was talking about that heartless guy posting about the difference between slic3r and a slicer lol. It meant nothing, helped no one. And I work in r and d. Its my job to jump in head first. I didn't come here trash talking the printer etc. I realize that  you need to take chances and buying an early printer means a lot of work and troubleshooting. How do you think community’s get built around machines. It’s early adopters my friend. I just came here asking if anyone has seen this. No one had so that was useful. Helped me solve the problem. I didn't say your ideas were bad. You offered one... I said why it wasn’t the case. Why on earth would I waste time perusing something I knew 100 percent was wrong. This is how troubleshooting works.

zburhop wrote:

I Wasn’t even talking about you dude. I was talking about that heartless guy posting about the difference between slic3r and a slicer lol. It meant nothing, helped no one.

it really does not matter who specifically you were talking about. You came across as rude and basically an a$$hat.

and yes, there is a difference between "slicer" and "Slic3r" - maybe not to you, since you seem to be a know it all - but to someone new, it does matter.

and for the record - I am not a "dude", and i could care less about post counts. Accurate information is more important to me.

Have a nice life.