Topic: Da Vinci 1.0a upgrade to dual extruder?

Hello, I am new to soliforum and am writing this post because I could use some advice.

I currently have a DaVinci 1.0a with a modified carriage running repetier and an e3d v6 hotend. As I was making the modifications I noticed that there are labels for a second extruder motor, heater, and fan 2. This leads me to believe that xyz uses the same motherboard for the 1.0a and 2.0a and possibly AIO since there are also places for laser 1 and 2. Also noticed labels for Cam 1 and 2, could someone clarify what those are for and if I could connect a camera for remote viewing and/or times-lapses? (photo at bottom)

If my above assumptions are correct then this means that I could simply solder the appropriate connectors on the motherboard, build a modified carriage to add another e3d v6, and flash the repetier firmware through arduino with the configuration set as a DaVinci 2.0 printer.

If this is feasible, does anyone know where I could find the appropriate connectors and wires for the motherboard, or at least what those connectors are called?

If anyone knows someone who has done this please let me know. Also, if you know of any hiccups that should hinder me from doing this please let me know, because there are a lot of uncertainties I need clarification on.

For example: Would I need another stepper motor that is the exact same as the original for the stepping to be correct? Would I need another fan/thermistor board? Would I need to completely change motherboards? Could I use a custom DaVinci 2.0 carriage that has already been designed (Are the rail dimensions the same)? Should I run both nozzles direct or add the extra one as bowden?

I know I have asked a lot of questions but if anyone could answer any of them I would greatly appreciate it. Also if anyone could provide me with (or direct me to)a general explanation of the motherboard, particularly the labelled and unused places which could be utilized, that would be very helpful.

Please note that I am doing this for research so I am using the 0.15mm nozzle from e3d. That being said, would it be more cost/time effective to just buy a new printer? I know if I buy a new FDM printer I would not want to have to do these types of modifications to it like I am considering for the DaVinci. I would want one with fine detail capability out of the box or at least e3d nozzles out of the box so I can fit it with 0.15mm nozzles. The only printer so far that I have seen that does this is the lulzbot taz pro. It has dual titan aero extruders so it can (or at least I believe it can) be fitted with the 0.15mm nozzles. The only problem is that the lulzbot is $5000 while if the DaVinci modifications are possible I estimate ~$200 for the upgrades which would make it capable of the same printing as the lulzbot. Would the mechanical tolerances be much better on the lulzbot and worth spending the extra money? I have also looked into SLA and SLS types of printers but those usually go for a higher price and we are needing to do very small (2mm-4mm flaps) actuating prints that are either mechanically rotate-able or elastically rotate-able. From what I have seen SLA and SLS would use a lot of support material which would make post processing of these tiny prints unfeasible. I have also looked into 3D microprinting but those run +$100,000. If anyone has any insight on a printing type/brand that would work well for me or knows which printers accept e3d v6 0.15mm nozzles please let me know.

Thank you all and God bless!

http://soliforum.com/i/?gw1tTpA.jpg

Re: Da Vinci 1.0a upgrade to dual extruder?

The cameras are part of the scanning system in the Aoi. As for dual extruders the XYZ machines literally use two extruders on separate carriages that move from opposite sides of the machine. In regards to the board you would also have to source and populate all of the resistors, capacitors, drivers or ICs for each of those additional circuits as the connectors are not the only parts they did not install. The base board is the same for all three machines but the components populated vary own the machine the board is used in.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Re: Da Vinci 1.0a upgrade to dual extruder?

carl_m1968 wrote:

The cameras are part of the scanning system in the Aoi. As for dual extruders the XYZ machines literally use two extruders on separate carriages that move from opposite sides of the machine. In regards to the board you would also have to source and populate all of the resistors, capacitors, drivers or ICs for each of those additional circuits as the connectors are not the only parts they did not install. The base board is the same for all three machines but the components populated vary own the machine the board is used in.

Thank you for the reply.

The cameras make sense now, thanks. But the videos I've seen of the DaVinci 2.0 duo show that the two extruders share the same carriage. For the board, I see what you mean with the ICs, capacitors, etc. I noticed the capacitors at first and I wouldn't mind soldering some of those, but I do not trust myself with the smaller components. That means I would have to find a DaVinci 2.0 motherboard or switch my printer over to a custom control board, correct? Would one of these be appropriate for this upgrade?

https://all3dp.com/2/5-fantastic-3d-pri … er-boards/