Topic: Unable to extrude recycled PLA. Need advice

I shredded all my PLA parts and got about 2LB of pieces some are smaller then 5mm in general.
Filastruder struggles to take them into the pipe because pipe is not large enough.

Shreds would also sometimes get stuck inside the bottle from which they come.

I want to upgrade my extruder to something X2 the size but i dont know where would i find a feeder/extruder screw and a flange and a pipe to match the size of.

Any ideas ?

Bigger machine seems to be the only way to allow regrind extrusion.
Am i missing something maybe ?
Maybe grind to smaller pieces ?

Re: Unable to extrude recycled PLA. Need advice

The best advice i have for the filastruder is to finely chop your pieces and sieve them.

Recycling 3d printed parts is typically a multi step process and there aren't many ways to get around it (unless you have deep pockets)

My method is something like this:

1. break large dense parts apart with a hammer or similar (wood chipper?)
2. I use a blendtec blender to break the larger parts into smaller parts (while also adding water to keep the bearings cool)
3. Dry the now pulverized parts in the oven at 170f for a few hours and allow to cool.
4. Sieve, then re-grind the large pieces and sieve again.
5. Re-dry all regrinds in oven at 170f for 8 hours
6. Extrude all material with a large nozzle (diameter isn't of concern see step 7)
7. After extruding all the material, chop it up again in the blender (basically compounding at this point)
8. Re-dry the material again for 8 hours at 170f.
9. Re-extrude to final size using new "chopped pellets" from step 6.
10. Done

The main idea is to keep the screw from pinching the material at the feed throat. Making the pieces small keeps this from happening, but will load the screw pretty well and cause the motor to work hard, hence the larger nozzle (and possibly higher extrusion temp)

Extruding the smashed parts, allows one to make new non-uniform filament for the sole purpose of making new "pellets" to extrude in a more uniform way.

In order to make consistent new(ish) filament, you need it in pellet form to avoid stacking in the screw (and compression).

The filastruder is a capable machine, but for recycling old prints, its not really the best. Even modern industrial machines have issues doing this.

Feel free to reach out to me here, or you can email me directly at:
anthony.kaul (at) fusionfilaments (dot) com

OMG thats a killer process but it does make perfect sense due to filastruder limitation.
And why is that, because wood screw and the plumbing tube is simply not big enough ?

Grinding to powder like substance wont help, root of the problem is in the screw that feeds it.

I would love to make my own extruder but i cannot seem to find the feeder screw ANYWHERE.
So instead i ordered my self DOUBLE THE PRICE wellzoom extruder. MFG claims it will extrude regrind.

Most manufacturers claim to do re-grind / recycle. But what they don't claim (or can't verify) is the dimensional tolerance.

I have heard mixed reviews on wellzoom, but I don't have any personal time on these machines.

I use Filabot's EX6's to do this. Sorry for the namedrop, I know this is the filastruder forum.

I do plenty of recycles on these machines and I'm able to keep the tolerance pretty good (+- 0.025mm typically)

But that comes at a hefty cost....

As for a feeder screw, plenty of machine shops do this kind of work. Most screw profiles are trade secrets which is why its so hard to find plans for them. Most companies have their screws custom manufactured (i know i do).

One thing that remains consistent though, the more money you have to spend on an extrusion project, the faster and more consistent it will be. Guess that's the same for anything similar to this.

I now have wellzoom.
Cant find anything wrong with it other then stepper controller is kinda weird.
Fundamental difference from most DIY extruder including filastruder is the feeder screw.
wellzoom uses proper feeder screw where as everything else i've seen so far uses wood screw for SCREWING, not for feeding.
Price is double the filastruder but so headaches is cut down to nearly 0

Pics or it never happened cool

NICE WORK!!!!!

Tony thanks for venturing forward.
Recycling is ATM a tedious task at best.
While I do not see myself self extruding or recycling in the near future it is a necessary task to develop.
As a matter of fact Adrian Boyer pointed out the need for pla recycling in a recent blog.
so keep up the good work.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura