1 (edited by karlzhao314 2019-04-18 15:20:36)

Topic: New Filastruder - Preliminary questions

I ordered a Filastruder 2.0 and a Filawinder this past week, and it should arrive sometime today or tomorrow. Sorry if it seems like I'm jumping the gun a bit with these questions - I only really get weekends to work on this stuff at home so I'd like to make the best use of my time that I possibly can. I just had a few questions to start off with.

I got the Filastruder primarily to eventually have a cheap source of Ultem, but I figured I should definitely start off with MG94 and build some experience first (which is great, because I also need a source of cheap, high quality ABS!) I envisioned setting up the Filastruder vertically with the Filawinder - pretty standard setup.

Biggest question is this. I've seen a good number of other setups out there with a vibration unit on the hopper, and I can certainly see how that would improve feeding. However, if the vibration gets transmitted into the barrel itself, wouldn't that affect the extrusion consistency? I have no idea how much of an issue (if at all) this is, and I'd like to hear thoughts on whether the vibration unit is worth adding from the get-go.

If I do add a vibration unit, I was thinking of just buying a few cell phone vibration motors and sticking them on the side of the feed tube from the hopper. Would this work? (I'd likely need four of them to be able to power them off the existing 12v power supply in series.)

Also, are there any other mods or additions worth adding from the start? What else should I know to begin with that may not be detailed anywhere? For this weekend I'd like the goal to be to have an extruded, decently consistent (+-0.05mm) spool of MG94 by the end of Sunday, so do you folks think that's doable?