1 (edited by jvandyke 2019-04-17 13:17:56)

Topic: Davinci 1.0 E3d V6 conversion and temperature values

I know, I'm late to the party.
I have had and fiddled with a Davinci 1.0 for years.  (I'm a teacher and "try" to use this with my students so be gentle, this is not my forte). I jail broke it right away and have run repetier since.
Finally decided to try to improve print quality and upgrade the hot end.  I did this: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:707530
Ended up having to hack the daylights out of the carrier to fit the E3d's fan in there so there's no going back.
I did 12v supply to the fan (soldered to the board) and fan's ground to nozzles' fan connector on the little pcb on the OEM carriage.
Thermistor wired to carriage's pcb.  I did not (yet) desolder R29 on the main board nor have I yet tried a different temperature table (5,8? so much "loose" info out there).
Question:
is there a definitive answer as to how to get accurate temperature readings with this set up? I know the Davinci is weird with a non standard thermistor and resistors in the circuit, R29 and possibly on on the carriage's pcb as well.
I'm looking to stand on the shoulders of giants here and get it working, my students want to print!
I don't know if I should try a different temp table AND disable something in the 1.0's circuitry. Or just the table flash, or what. (I have to look up how to do that too!).
Status at the moment is it heats up but won't extrude, it "thinks" the nozzle is as hot as 260 but can't be as ABS won't move (it's not impossible there's a blockage I suppose but everything is freshly installed so I sorta doubt that.  I really want to have some confidence that the temperatures I see in Repetier are accurate.
I will go back to searching to see if I missed something.
Thanks for any help, my students and I appreciate it.

PS, back in the day voltivo's forum was helpful, that's dead now eh?

2 (edited by AbsoluteCatalyst 2019-04-18 20:31:51)

Re: Davinci 1.0 E3d V6 conversion and temperature values

Hey.

Congrats on the upgrade, better late than never!

Yeah, as you already know the Davinci's board is pretty unique and a bit of a headache to modify for the E3D.

So, there's two ways to make this work, and which way depends on what exact Davinci model motherboard you're running.

Both answers do require you to modify a firmware configuration file, compile the firmware, and flash it to the printer manually using the Arduino software. See these instructions here on how to do that.

Now, are you running with a first generation 1.0 motherboard? Or a 1.0a motherboard? (Even if your Davinci isn't labeled a 1.0a, they did motherboard revisions in-between, so check)

How to check:

Does your motherboard have these ugly little stepper driver chips on it?
If yes, then it's a first generation (1.0) motherboard, and it'll be a bit more complicated to work with.

Two main steps:
1. In this case, yes you do need to remove the R29 SMD resistor (1k Ohm resistor) from the motherboard first unfortunately.
2. After, you'll need to modify the configuration.h file included with firmware you downloaded from that github link above.

• Scroll down the file and look for #define EXT0_TEMPSENSOR_TYPE 5

• Change the type to 8 (which is meant for E3D's Semitec 104GT-2 )

• Compile it and upload it to your printer just the same way you did it the first time etc etc.

(Sidenote: By removing this resistor you can now use any of the standard tables in the future for different thermistors)

If your board doesn't have the ugly little drivers or it's blue, then it's a second generation (1.0a) motherboard.
You're in luck, because someone already generated a custom table specifically for E3D's Semitec 104GT-2 and the Davinci (1.0a) board resistors!

All you'd need to do in this case is software based:
1. Modify repetier's configuration.h file:

• Scroll down the file and look for #define EXT0_TEMPSENSOR_TYPE 5

• Change the type to 7 (which is meant for the custom table designed for the Semitec and the Davinci)

• Compile it and upload it to your printer.

I really hope this helps! It's a bit of a mess with all the different board revisions and Davinci models.

Voltivo's forums closing also made things worse since there was a bunch of useful information hosted there. Looks like Google's cached feature doesn't work on those old forum links either.
I remember years ago it being relatively active. Sad that it's gone now.

Anyways, good luck and tell us how it goes!

3 (edited by jvandyke 2019-04-19 03:39:24)

This is perfect, VERY much appreciated, thank you so much.  Yes, it's a 1.0 , not a 1.0a (I was foggy on the difference so that helped a ton right there).
I will try to figure out how to deal with R29 (I found the info once, I'll try to find it again, looks like I just have to solder in a bridge across those points as in last picture of this thread http://www.soliforum.com/topic/13186/re … e3dv6-s3d/ {though thread left unanswered} ).  Then re-flash with table 8.  BTW it's the "new" version of the E3d V6 with cartridge style thermistor but I'm assuming it has the same values as the previous style.  I hope, the specs seem right to me.
https://www.matterhackers.com/store/pri … -universal

4 (edited by AbsoluteCatalyst 2019-04-19 22:19:33)

Oof, hope I'm not too late. I can't remember the exact circuit right at this moment but don't jump/bridge that resistor!

I think it was a either a pull up or pull down, but either way it may or may not cause a short and destroy a pin on the processor.

I found this blog of someone upgrading their 1.0 to an e3d as well that might help you too. He removes his R29 and leaves it empty.

And yep, the new cartridge thermistor is the same as the older one just in a better format.

I'll try to double check on one of my spare 1.0 motherboards and see how it was set up tomorrow when I get a chance!

Not too late, haven't done anything but look at it.  I remember that blog, he says it's a 1.0a board though.  I can try with the R29 pulled first and then maybe bridged failing that.  Gotta go, class is starting........

jvandyke wrote:

Not too late, haven't done anything but look at it.  I remember that blog, he says it's a 1.0a board though.  I can try with the R29 pulled first and then maybe bridged failing that.  Gotta go, class is starting........

Just to be safe instead of bridging should you decide to, you can replace it with a zero ohm resistor and in the event there is a problem the resistor should open like a fuse before any real damage occurs.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

I would think removal would open the circuit and disable the thermistor entirely but what do I know.

Hey!
Had a busy day and didn't get around to posting earlier.

Anyway, after checking out the circuit in person, it's schematic looks like this voltage divider setup:

3V3 ---
          |
          |
     4.7K (R27)
          |
          |
          ------------------------------------------------------> (MICROCONTROLLER THERMISTOR INPUT) (PB20, Pin 91)
          |                            |                           |
(THERMISTOR)           1.0K (R29)                (C29)
GND ------------------------------------------------

Bridging R29 will just short 3V3 to ground and show 0V at the MCU's input, stopping from the thermistor from working at all.
(It won't be destructive as I feared though, since R27 is already in series with 3V3)
Removing it will just leave a typical voltage divider circuit.

The purpose of that specific resistor was to reduce a bit of power dissipation (thermistors self-heat a small amount when powered) in whatever XYZ's thermistor originally was for more accurate readings. It's explained here near the bottom of the post.
Most reprap machines don't bother with that extra resistor, which is why these tables don't work.

Also, the motherboard used in SD Perry's blog post from earlier is definitely a 1.0-older revision board. He might be confused, or alternatively for some bizarre reason has an older motherboard on a 1.0A. Good catch though, didn't notice that small bit in his title somehow, lol.

Hope this helps!

R29 removed, table 8 flashed, printing, seems good, one hundred and fifty bizzilion thanks to you!
So far, after one little test print, the quality "seems" far better then I've seen in a long time, if ever.
Currently printing a spool holder for this big ol' box, it's a 5 hour job.  With any luck I'll bring it into school this week.

Awesome man, glad to hear back that it's working well for you now!

Wish you luck with your future prints and enjoy your e3d!

Hi,
I have Da Vinci AIO, the motherboard is blue and it does'n have the ugly little stepper driver chips.
I love the printer, because it was my first 3d printer.
A time ago, I upgraded to repeater firmware and now I bought e3dv6 (clone). But I can not work with this one.
Reading the hotend specification, this has the thermistor: 100K NTC B 3950.
How can I configure this thermistor in my 3d printer?
It is necessary to remove R29 (it is present in my printer)?
What is the thermistor table that I need?? (7, 14)
It is necessary to write a new table?
Reading this forum, i am not clear how can remove the R29...

Please, I need your help.
Best regards and I hope everybody is fine with coronavirus.

Carlos

carbet73 wrote:

Hi,
I have Da Vinci AIO, the motherboard is blue and it does'n have the ugly little stepper driver chips.
I love the printer, because it was my first 3d printer.
A time ago, I upgraded to repeater firmware and now I bought e3dv6 (clone). But I can not work with this one.
Reading the hotend specification, this has the thermistor: 100K NTC B 3950.
How can I configure this thermistor in my 3d printer?
It is necessary to remove R29 (it is present in my printer)?
What is the thermistor table that I need?? (7, 14)
It is necessary to write a new table?
Reading this forum, i am not clear how can remove the R29...

Please, I need your help.
Best regards and I hope everybody is fine with coronavirus.

Carlos

Unless it has been damaged just the the thermistor in the original hotend in the E3D. Otherwise R29 does have to be removed. It can be done with a hotair gun and a very small nozzle. Or you can make a solder blob on one side that will heat both ends and then remove it the resistor with tweezers and clean the solder up with some solder wick.

Thanks,
Ok, if I understood is neccesary to remove R29 (in order to use ed3v6 clone).
Once removed, What is the thermistor table that I need?? (7, 14)
It is necessary to write a new table in configuration.h?

Regards

carbet73 wrote:

Thanks,
Ok, if I understood is neccesary to remove R29 (in order to use ed3v6 clone).
Once removed, What is the thermistor table that I need?? (7, 14)
It is necessary to write a new table in configuration.h?

Regards

So the original thermistor has been damaged? It would be much easier to use it.

The original thermistor (from da vinci aio hotend) is not damaged.
Do you have a link or a procedure in order to extract this thermistor from the da vinci hotend?
I think after I have to adapt it to e3dv6 clone.
Thanks a lot for your answer and for your time to help me.

Regards