1 (edited by n2ri 2019-04-05 06:12:16)

Topic: using a USB hub to run multiple 3D printers from

I want to add an external USB hub  to a Rack I have for 3 3D printers and 1 3D scanner so i can run just 1 USB cable to my Laptop Dock from the Rack which will also have its own power strip for the printers & scanner plus a Cat5 for scanner so just 3 cords as this rack rolls so it can be moved aside when not in use.

main question is since all these items only need USB 2.0 and run fine even on my Win XP OS. would a 4 port USB 2.0 hub that supports data transfer rate up to 480Mbps, suffice for this or do I need onboard SD cards on the 3D printers also? thoughts on this would be appreciated.

if SD cards are needed then I also may as well put an uninterruptible backup power supply also on the Rack so power failures wont cause failed prints. as I have a small one that just needs new Battery its a BK400 250w 120v

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

Re: using a USB hub to run multiple 3D printers from

a usb hub will work but it needs to have it's own power source. (ie: powered hub) - sd cards are not needed

each printer connected to the hub needs to be running a different controller board (the computer will get confused if you hook 2 identical machines/controller boards to the same hub at the same time)
you can run 2 identical machines from the same computer as long as they are hooked up to different USB Hubs (ie: front & back, or main & external hub)

You should be running a UPS anyway.. and get one large enough to handle the load of everything you intend to connect to it. 250w is fine for just a laptop and maybe one printer, but i would not go much more than that

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

3 (edited by n2ri 2019-04-05 05:51:21)

so how did Solidoodle run 24 SD3 printers from 1 PC on the rack parts factory? heres 1 pic of that 'Farm' what is the thing on rack post with blue lights and lots of cords pluged in it?
http://soliforum.com/i/?EuXw9ju.jpg

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

4 (edited by carl_m1968 2019-04-05 11:31:23)

It's a powered hub like heartless said to use. It also looks like they have given each printer a physical name which their host probably allows and that helps to make sure communication goes to the correct printer.

You also have no way of knowing by the picture if these machines are actually running on original boards. These could be just SD frames and entirely different electronics.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

5 (edited by heartless 2019-04-05 12:33:17)

plugging them into one power strip means nothing. whoopie.. I can do that (and do) - that has absolutely nothing to do with PC connection.

this is a power strip, nothing more.

http://soliforum.com/i/?czPxA1K.png

I want to see how they are connected to the actual PC..

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

yeah since Solidoodle has been gone for years no new info is available. and as Carl said no way to know whats on printers as Solidoodle also used their "Parts Farm" machines as component test units when testing what components to use in marketed Printers.

how long of an extension USB cable can I use with a 3D printer without loosing Data?

The rule of thumb is no longer than 6 feet without an active booster.

I use to run my Solidoodle off a 6' USB Cable plugged into a 15' extension cable but I would not recommend this.

10 (edited by n2ri 2019-04-11 19:18:39)

cool, I just bought a 10'  extension as one of my printer USB cables is only 3' and that alone wont cut it from my PC to the Printer rack.
saw extensions long as 33' listed on ebay lol
longest I ever used was for a Vinyl cutter/plotter to PC 15' to reach over a doorway & it barely worked at times without a bit of lag depending on file being sent.

This is good to see that you are creating a USB hub for run multiple printers. But I want to ask one thing are properly check the bandwidth of your router before creating USB hub?

aronwanrer11 wrote:

This is good to see that you are creating a USB hub for run multiple printers. But I want to ask one thing are properly check the bandwidth of your router before creating USB hub?

what router?

n2ri wrote:
aronwanrer11 wrote:

what router?

You need to learn to spot a spam bot. Look at it's signature. It 's a bot that keys on words such as "hub" in this case and then makes a semi intelligent sounding comment on the subject for the simple purpose of spamming the link in it's signature.

he needs the ban bot lol

heartless wrote:

plugging them into one power strip means nothing. whoopie.. I can do that (and do) - that has absolutely nothing to do with PC connection.

this is a power strip, nothing more.

http://soliforum.com/i/?czPxA1K.png

I want to see how they are connected to the actual PC..

zoom in and see those are USB cords not power cords and each has a light showing traffic etc

The technology is definitely there to operate a small or even large  print farm.

Joe prussa is currently running 500 yes that is Five Hundred printers he has the capability of managing hem remotely and can even update the firmware  remotely.
IIRC there are plans in the works to release this software to the public. I believe open source.

Soliddoodle is no longer but prusa is still alive and growing and a very open source company.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura