Topic: SD card reader (kinda port from Google groups)

An SD card would be sweet to add-on, although it looks like the atmel 644 chip would need to be swapped out an bumped up to the 1284, as seen on ggroups and here:
http://blog.think3dprint3d.com/2012/06/ … r.html?m=1
Depending on Solidoodle's variation to the standard Marlin firmware, this could be awesome or a big headache.
It also appears we would have to add one more header pin to A0, or just cut up some rainbow parallel cable and make a colorful extension for the sd reader.

Grand Rapids, Michigan
SD2 with Sanguinololu board, glass bed mod, E3d_v5 bowden version hotend (currently direct drive), Lawsy Mk5 jigsaw replacement, octopi printserver, drv8825(tiny troubles)

Re: SD card reader (kinda port from Google groups)

We've never tried it, but I don't see reason it wouldn't work.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

It shouldn't be too much of a headache, as long as you can tie into the right pins...

Don't you need an lcd for the sd card feature to be useful though?

With the card only, you can start a print, unplug your laptop and the job will continue.

The other advantage of the other chip is the ability to add the panelolu control panel, as well as Bluetooth connection.

Overall a fairly inexpensive, but very cool set of add-on that I will almost certainly be adding.

Hey John, any chance the s2 could come shipped with  the pin headers already attached? I don't know how pre-built the boards are. It would be great if they came with the ATmega1284P already but given the cost increase, I totally understand why they don't, but having the pin headers for the connector in place already would be really handy

I was thinking about this and I think I have a solution.

Instead of modifying the solidoodle parts themselves, what if we developed a second arduino that is the controller that feeds the gcode to the sanguinololu on the solidoodle board?

This way, you can keep the code for the sanguinololu separate from the arduino, and therefor have more flexibility in where you can take your gcode from, be it bluetooth, serial, sd card... even iphones and iPads.

7 (edited by ysb 2012-08-10 17:12:25)

will be a great idea..

i bought an Arduino mega 2560 here for 17$
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor … duct=25085

and a Uno at the same place for 13$... (i think it's the best price we can foud at the moment)

ps : arf .. stupid "one link only" rule...

The arduino Ethernet card has an SD card reader built in. It wouldn't take much code to read the file and send it to the processor. In fact, you could even use the Ethernet to send a file and write it to the SD card.

SD2
E3D V6
MK5 V6

9 (edited by ysb 2012-08-10 17:31:36)

or adding something like this one ?

http://img.dxcdn.com/productimages/sku_146706_1_small.jpg

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/micro-sd-c … 706?item=2

Network attached with an SD card buffer? I like where this is going, though I think I'd still like and LCD/control panel like panelolu on there for control.

If you had a seperate Arduino to control the printing, an LCD panel would be easy to mount and control. In fact, there are a number of boards available that already have up/down/left/right buttons along with an LCD already mounted. Frankly, this type of control would probably be best suited for a secondary controller so the current processor can handle what it does best, control printing. The Arduino can handle multiple boards stacked on one another so you could conceivably have the Arduino, Ethernet with SD card, and LCD board with push button controls all in one unit talking to the Print controller.

SD2
E3D V6
MK5 V6

So here's a question, why look at a separate arduino board  to feed the S2 instead of just using the built in board with an upgraded main chip to drive things?

To just use the existing. Board, it would probably require solidoodle to make changes to their firmware. If a second processor were added, code could be developed in the open source arena. It is pretty apparent that solidoodle does not have the time to take on another project yet. Also, these processors have limited memory and adding too many features could make the firmware too large, requiring an additional processor any way. I would prefer to keep the solidoodle processor doing what it does best as well as keep my processor as factory as possible so future firmware upgrades are still possible.

SD2
E3D V6
MK5 V6

cool, thanks Gordy. Now, what needs done and how do I help tongue

I'm going to order some stuff and start some experimentation.

I already have a bunch of arduinos including the new Leonardo, an Ethernet card and LCD displays so I am going to dig into the solidoodle firmware and determine what they are looking for on the communications.

SD2
E3D V6
MK5 V6

The communication is actually a simple serial based protocol, you could use the softseriallibrary to communicate with the solidoodle over the serial pins (Not the usb of course).

I just ordered the Panelolu kit with SDSL, 1284, and soldering.  I will need to put together the cable and add the headers to the Sanguinololu.  It was about $70USD.  I don't know how long it will take to ship from the UK, but I can use that time to practice soldering headers into dead electronics

I saw those kits Ian, and am really interested in knowing how well they will work, definitely keep us informed! BTW, thanks for all of your great involvement in the Solidoodle community, Between your blog and all of your poss here and on google, you are rapidly becoming the go-to-guru of Solidoodle

I have also ordered the same kit from ebay.

Looking forward to seeing your progress, Ian.

Wish I could contribute more with the heavy lifting, but I'd need a Solidoodle for that.

So here's my question regarding this. If solidoodle is reverting back to sprinter firmware and this is used for marlin firmware,  if when I get my unit in 8-10+weeks would it be smart to perform this upgrade mainly on the basis of wanting marlin to begin with and also really liking the idea of sd card/ computer less printing?

Although it doesn't necessarily seem smart just to buy a unit to upgrade it, but I also feel the upgrades are worthy enough to make an exception. Hopefully by the time I get my unit someone has this detailed fairly well by then

In 8-10 weeks I'd say it will be well documented. There are at least two people who have taken the plunge and ordered the LCD controller/SD card combo. The firmware has already been prepared:

https://github.com/mlaws/solidoodle2-marlin

Well I'm glad to hear that. My main point is anyone with the printer already would know better than me, but is it overall going to be better to have marlin>sprinter or vice versa. I come from a cnc machining background, I definitely understand the issues involved with only reading one line at a time, so in my eyes the switch to marlin seems almost crucial for print quality among other things. But I'm not anything more than a 3d printer noob at the moment.

Brad, how has your experimentation with arduinos/ sanguino and i2c communication been going? I have been rereading this thread and am wondering if you've been able to code/use the arduino as an add-on board yet.

Grand Rapids, Michigan
SD2 with Sanguinololu board, glass bed mod, E3d_v5 bowden version hotend (currently direct drive), Lawsy Mk5 jigsaw replacement, octopi printserver, drv8825(tiny troubles)