Re: Solidoodle 3? With issues

Well thanks guys for you efforts.... I will have to keep trying different things. I saw this from google referencing a post here....
http://soliforum.com/i/?4jFpEOL.png
So I tried that but didn't work....

27 (edited by heartless 2019-03-05 23:34:00)

carl_m1968 wrote:
Dan_E wrote:

There must be someone on this forum who is running SD3 with Win10?

I am pretty sure Heartless does, but is not usually on until late or in the AM hours.

LOL, I run SD4s on Win7, so I am pretty useless when it comes to Win10 issues, sorry guys.

But to the OP, you may need to install that driver that wardjr shared to get things to work.

it is critical that you can actually connect, and move the printhead around manually (using the controls in RH) before anything else can happen.

Then we can talk

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

The driver file didn't work, or the download didn't work?  I can send you a copy of the file if that's the problem....

Ender 3 Pro

I run 3 d printers on win 10 on a regular basis not issues. It has been a wile since i printed the sd 4.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Note to self: Tin uses Windows 10.  I just couldn’t remember who but I knew it was one of the regulars.  Good news for the OP, Tin is always happy to help.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Ski52 wrote:

The driver file didn't work, or the download didn't work?  I can send you a copy of the file if that's the problem....

The driver installed OK, but did not make a difference in the connection - seems like an issue with the USB port not talking to RH... just a guess....

So, it seems that if I downgraded to Win7, it would be a cake walk?

Dan_E wrote:

So, it seems that if I downgraded to Win7, it would be a cake walk?

almost, but not quite, LOL

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

34 (edited by Ski52 2019-03-06 02:07:00)

Almost last resort.  Shut down machine.  Unplug everything except keyboard, mouse & monitor.  Start back up.  When running, turn on SD then plug in USB.  Win should recognize it, or at least find it.  Start RH and connect SD.  Go to printer settings and see if there is another com port available, other than the one that failed before.  If so, try another port, if there are more available, try them all til one works.  If one works, leave the SD running and plug in any other peripherals that you unplugged.  This should let Win know the printer is there and it will assign it a port - hopefully...
If that don't work, there may be a problem with the board, or USB cable.
I've been running my SD on Win 8, 8.1 and 10 for near 6 years - it's not the problem. 
Good luck!!

Almost forgot - try a different port on the computer.  The front USB ports use a different access than the ports on the rear of the machine.

Ender 3 Pro

Sorry, I'm no help on Win10.  I use Win7 or Linux Mint on all my stuff.

-Kevin

biggest issue with connecting these as they are Virtual printers, but they dont lock down com port so next thing you connect/install likes to steal the ports. I had to learn how to assign My SD2 a higher port like 12-36 so new items only steal lowest unused port which is what Solidoodle ports are while printer is off.

also later SD3 and SD4 had an exhaust fan grill punched out in upper rear panel for adding fan with charcoal filter buyers wanted for ABS fumes

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

I do not think you are having a windows issue you just need to have the correct driver installed. IIRC one way is download and install  arduino IDE v 1.6.7 install the drivers for that and you should n\be golden . May be a bit overkill . I have an sd4 so the board may be different. inside the machine so i have not actually seen my board.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

38 (edited by Dan_E 2019-03-06 19:51:48)

Yay! I have it working!!! Thanks for everyone's help on this, but it seems that the main problem was that I was using a USB extension cable (about 5)' added to the normal one, and it possibly was losing the data - bad cable or just too long???? Anyway when I hooked it up without the extension, and changed the baud rate to 250000, everything is back up and running. Now I will be sorting out the problems I had a few years ago when I last used it such as first layer adhesion, bed not warm enough and leveling bed.... anyway will be messing with it tonight after I get home....
Also would appreciate advice on upgrades to the bed heater, extruder or anything else that you think would help. I am willing to put a few $$$ into it now that it's back.
Cheers, Dan

Congratulations, now you want to connect up with heartless.  She’ll have that thing singing in no time.

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

wardjr wrote:

She’ll have that thing singing in no time.

I think he wants it printing.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

If it prints, I'll be singing!!!! ......

carl_m1968 wrote:
wardjr wrote:

She’ll have that thing singing in no time.

I think he wants it printing.

um, Carl.. mine sing while they are printing. wink

Ohhh, they sing for sure.  Very old video that’s just fun to listen to.

44 (edited by carl_m1968 2019-03-07 14:42:35)

Guess my mistake was switching to 256bit drivers. I have to turn everything in my place off to even hear a whisper from my printer. The only sound I hear is the cooing fan on the controller and the layer change as I guess the screw drive makes more noise inherently than belts.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

carl_m1968 wrote:

Guess my mistake was switching to 256bit drivers. I have to turn everything in my place off to even hear a whisper from my printer. The only sound I hear is the cooing fan on the controller and the layer change as I guess the screw drive makes more noise inherently than belts.

I can relate completely with what you are saying.  I forgot how much I enjoyed the sound of a finely tuned DRV8825. I think that’s why I find that video so enjoyable to listen to.  Every now and then, it’s fun to get a little blast from the past.  Helps me remember just how far we’ve come.

good to see folks having so much positive fun on this forum.

maybe I am weird, but I like the sounds that my printers make when they are running. especially when you get more than one going at a time.. like a mini concert, LOL

and yes, Tin, it IS nice to have a little positive fun. smile

Thinking about it not really that weird. i often print and leave the room and keep an  ear on the printer then visually check from time to time.

I completed 2 test prints in the past 2 days. The adhesion of the first layer was very good and the prints finished without a glitch. However, both prints had "edge lifting" as in a square model, the 2 front corners began to lift off the bed. The second model was circular and it too had the entire lower surface start to lift all around so it was curved up instead of flat on the bed.
Is this a fixable problem? Is it the bed too cold/too hot (it maxed out at 97.5°C) and kept bed heater on for the full print. The unit is enclosed on all sides with clear lexan to conserve heat.

I may be interested in some upgrades to this unit  - different heater/bed, different extruder? What are your thoughts?

http://soliforum.com/i/?PkruNNE.jpghttp://soliforum.com/i/?eyd5VVb.jpg

Looks to be crummy ABS???  Shrinkage is difficult to avoid.