Topic: e3d made their own slicer?

Did anyone see this?

I'm quite interested to see how an e3d designed slicer would work.

http://www.3ders.org/articles/20190218- … nters.html

Re: e3d made their own slicer?

justsomeguy wrote:

Did anyone see this?

I'm quite interested to see how an e3d designed slicer would work.

http://www.3ders.org/articles/20190218- … nters.html

Downloading it now..

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Downloaded and installed it .
It appears to be cloud bases as one needs to create an account and sign in  to use . UGH
I guess i should have expected that as this seems to be the current trend.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

I installed as well. Looks interesting. It is much slower than S3D but they claim they have yet to optimize slicing. It also has a learning curve in trying to find all the settings.

I bet if you read the agreement you will find your designs are theirs if you store them on the cloud.

I bet if you read the agreement you will find your designs are theirs if you store them on the cloud.

and this is why i do not participate in cloud based software.
Count me out of this one, altho it does look interesting.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

heartless wrote:

and this is why i do not participate in cloud based software.

Count me out of this one, altho it does look interesting.

Looked at the agreement and it looks like they have learned from others..

7. Intellectual Property Rights

The Software and related documentation are copyright works of authorship and are also protected under applicable database laws. The Licensor retains ownership of the Software, all subsequent copies of the Software and all intellectual property rights subsisting therein, regardless of the form in which such copies may exist. This Licence Agreement is not a sale of the original Software or any copies thereof.

You retain your copyright for all 3D models and printer profiles you use with or create within the Software as well as the resultant GCode generated.

ok, so maybe they did learn from other's mistakes for that aspect.. but I still will not use cloud based software.

I live in the boonies.. Internet out here is not stable enough, or robust enough, for cloud based programs.
we do not have cable, or even DSL, out here.. it just is not available, period.
speeds are a complete joke as well.. while the greater majority of the world complains about 50-60mbps download speeds, we are doing good to get 2 - yes, you read that right - two mbps download speeds.

I realize that I am in the minority, and make little to no impact on the things companies do these days, but it irritates me that those of us in rural areas are being left behind, left out, and pretty much ignored.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

There are numerous other reasons to avoid cloud software.

Unless it's the magic slicer that makes FDM prints appear injection molded, I will be slicing away on my desktop with Heartless!

I may try it as an option.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

justsomeguy wrote:

There are numerous other reasons to avoid cloud software.

Unless it's the magic slicer that makes FDM prints appear injection molded, I will be slicing away on my desktop with Heartless!

It's not, so keep slicing on your desktop. S3D doe a far better job and that is saying alot.

I agree with Heartless; I stay away from cloud-based applications and services.

People often forget that there is really no such thing as 'the cloud'....there's your computer...and there's someone else's computer.

-Kevin

I was pretty annoyed when I jumped back into 3D printing a couple weeks back to see almost everything is going cloud based. Had to find the old 2017 version of sketchup to download. Even with a fast connection cloud based stuff just feels slower and more cumbersome.