Topic: Extruding PET (PETE, not PETG) plastic with Filastruder

Hello,

I bought Filastruder (and Filawinder) so, I can create filament from virgin and recycled PET plastic.

I successfully printed this https://www.instagram.com/p/BkinhHiAJm-/ using this recycled PET filament from here.
https://www.re-filament.com/shop/filame … ttles.html

I assembled Filastruder, and it seems to function, the next thing I did was an upgrade to the 18V power supply (for the heater).
I noticed that with the 12V power supply the temperature drops when the motor (with the fan) get turned on and struggles to get back.
18V power supply seems to be able to maintain the power much better: the temperature drops but gets back in a few mins.

I have virgin PET (PETE, not PETG) pellets and the spec says melting temperature is: 248 ± 4 C.
My results so far are not great: the plastic is either very soft and almost drips from the nozzle or doesn't extrude.
I tried setting the temperatures on the Filastruder 190C - 250C. I think the best result is around 210-220C.

My only idea at this point is to mount Filastruder vertically and let the filament flow instead of going straight on the cooling fan.

I'm creating this post here in case somebody already mastered extruding PET ad could share some useful insights.

If not, I'll try a few other things and share my results back.

Re: Extruding PET (PETE, not PETG) plastic with Filastruder

It's too late now but the issue is not voltage, it's current. You should have upgraded to a 12 volt supply of higher wattage or current. Now your are supplying the fan with too much voltage and the heater as well and that will burn them both out sooner.

They are designed for 12 after all and you are pushing 18 into them now which is going to make the fan run 30% faster which will also impact cooling.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

To be clear - heating element is the only item that I connected to 18V.

The motor and all the fans are still on 12V.

I have one 18V power supply and a step-down unit from 18V to 12V.

And this is the message I got from Tim Elmore before I decided to upgrade to 18V.

"The heater and PID temperature controller are rated to 18 volts, but we provide a 12 volt power supply. The purpose behind this design choice is to limit beginners to ~260C even if they bypass the controller."

"By providing 15 volts to the heater and temperature controller, heater output is increased by 56%. As a result 400C is possible, and the heater is rated to 400C."

"If you upgrade the power supply, any 15-18 volt supply capable of 5 amps or more will be fine. Do note that the gearmotor is rated for 12 volts, suppling it with 15v of 18v will decrease its live. You can use the stall protection board to  step-down/regulate the motor’s voltage, though."

The PID controller and heater are rated for 18v, carl_m1968.

If the polymer goes from dripping to not extruding then it sounds like it hs a very sharp melt strength transition, which will make it difficult to extrude and print with. What resin is it specifically? Some PETs are better than others.

elmoret, thanks for the message!

These are the characteristcs - a food grade PET copolyester:

Product Properties
Intrinsic Viscosity (IV)* 0.80 ± 0.02 dl/g
Melting Temperature (Tm) 248 ± 4 ºC
Acetaldehyde content (AA) ≤ 1 ppm
Color b ≤ 1
Fines ≤ 50 ppm
Water content ≤ 0.2 %
Pellets weight 1.7 ± 0.1 g/100 pellets
Pellets shape Spherical granules -
*Ph/DCB 2 : 3 (w/w), 25ºC

I have to say that the PID temperature was going up and down by +/- 10C (or perhaps maybe even 20C).

So these are the next steps, I'm going to try:

1. Mount Filastruder vertically. This was if the temperature is a bit higher the plastic will not drip on the fan. Perhaps it will just be very thin.
2. Get the autotuning sorted. If I get get the plastic extrusion going I hope overtime I can get the temperature stabilisation.
3. Check if adding extra fans could help. I saw somewhere people suggesting to use a bit higher temp and then either drill a bigger hole in the nozzle or do extra cooling. I prefer extra cooling.

Quick update:

I was able to produce some PET filament once I have Filastruder mounted vertically.

Remaining issues:

1. The temperature still jumps +/- 10C and this is a bit too much. I'll try a different temperature sensor.
2. The filament is very thin 0.5mm +/- 0.2mm. I'll try the 3mm nozzle and see if I can play with the temperature and additional cooling fans to reach something close to 1.75mm.

1.) Have you autotuned? I doubt it is the sensor.
2.) Have you tried reducing temperature?

Hi,

yes, I tried to autotune, but I'll try it for longer. I now have the Filawinder assembled, so I'll leave it for longer and will monitor the process.

Best temperature is around 205C, but if it goes down to 195C or so, it stops extruding, and I need to switch off the motor quickly to prevent damage.

I'll experiment with the higher temperature until I can get the temperature stability.

BTW, I guess it doesn't make any difference, but I'm using stainless steel nozzle.

tomas0413,
Can you post pictures of your thermocouple placement?

-os3dp

http://soliforum.com/i/?215z6fU.jpg

I'll try to remove the fan that you see in the picture and install a couple of large fans a bit lower so they don't blow straight into the nozzle. I also plan to try a new sensor, but I think the problem isn't in the sensor.

A new sensor to try:

http://soliforum.com/i/?dJF4rNb.jpg

Or maybe the sensor wire had to be routed inside the insulation and insulation then could be lowered a bit?

Any suggests are welcome!

Thanks, everyone.

I have noticed with my filastuders that if I don't use kapton tape to secure the thermocouple in the hole on the nozzle, it moves around and the temperature goes all over the place.  Try putting the thermocouple on and secure it with some kapton tape.

-os3dp

Thanks for the advice, just ordered some kapton tape!

tomas0413 wrote:

Or maybe the sensor wire had to be routed inside the insulation and insulation then could be lowered a bit?

Any suggests are welcome!

Thanks, everyone.

If you do that just make sure the wire isn't directly touching the heater band. I like to run it so that the screw that you tighten to hold the clamp onto the heater band prevents the wire from being able to touch the heater band.

Quick update on the status:

1. I replaced the temperature sensor.
2. Put the Kapton tape to secure the temperature sensor.
3. Installed four fans with adjustable speed
4. I installed a 3mm stainless steel nozzle. (used to be 1.75mm stainless steel nozzle).

This time see that the best extrusion I get when I set the temperature to 230C (used to be 205C), so it's already entirely different.
I managed to extrude 1.75mm filament, which is excellent, but there will be a lot more work needed to get the width consistent.
I have a Filawinder ready but haven't tried it yet.

Also, the temperature is much more stable now, but still +/-5C. (After autotune).

I found this blog post, I'll if I need to get manual settings to get more constant temperature :
http://sestosd1s.blogspot.com/2015/04/s … aving.html

I think I managed to get the temperature much more stable, but if I change the cooling fan speed the temperature isn't staying stable.

I'm trying to autotune without fans, to see if I can reach +/- 0.1C or something close to this.

I'm using these parameters at the moment:
M50 : 1500
P: 9998
t: 0
Ctl : 90
df: 0.1
oPH : 30 (I tied multiple values, 7 - the temperature only reaches 54C, 70 - the temperature overshoots by 20C or so)

Maybe someone who is able to get the stable temperature could check what values they use for: M50, P, t, Ctl, df and oPH?

A few more updates from my side:

1. I'm able to get better results from PID on temperature stability, but it's not at the level which I'd be happy. Ideally, I'd like to achieve +/- 0.1C and in the worst case scenario + / - 0.5C. I ordered a different PID from Inkbird so that I can compare it to the Sestos.
2. I used Kapton tape to secure the thermosensor, but I didn't cover the entire nozzle. I plan to use heat insulation cotton to cover the nozzle and also use a bit more Kapton tape to secure the insulation.
3. I discovered the interesting results from 3DEVO that seem to be more or less in line with what I learned so far:
https://3devo.com/wp-content/uploads/20 … ycling.pdf

Maybe I am missing something but this seems like a lot of trouble for a few meters of filament when you can buy PETG filament in any color really for $20 to $25 per KG and it will work and behave as expected when used at optimum temperatures. I mean in a case like this I have ti ask what my time is worth baby sitting the machine as well and I find it is cheaper to just buy ready made PETG filament.

Keep in mind the stuff that we print with is not PET, but PETG and PETG+. So not sure if PET is even viable for 3D printing.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Hi,

in my case it's this:

1) to be able to recycle plastic and use recycled plastic in 3D printing (not only PLA or ABS)
2) to reduce the cost of large 3D printed objects (let's say around 10kg in size)
3) The cost of PET granules per 1.3 EUR (per kg) (1.46 USD)
4) PET from www.re-filament.com (made from recycled plastic bottles) has been already successfully tested and works:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BimHp3DAu9H/
5) just general curiosity of learning something than just consuming

I'm struggling with getting a clear picture of these parts of the instructions:

5.) Insert thermocouple into hole on hex flat of nozzle.

But given the picture that was posted by tomas0413, it doesn't look a if it's inserted into any hole. Is it just basically touching the head?

Its in a hole, though its not secured like it should be.

I agree with you fully Tomas. It is all about learning and taking control of supply.

I will also be experimenting with PET soon. It would seem you have found a well priced supplier of PET pellets.
Would you mind sharing your contact?

tomas0413 wrote:

Hi,

in my case it's this:

1) to be able to recycle plastic and use recycled plastic in 3D printing (not only PLA or ABS)
2) to reduce the cost of large 3D printed objects (let's say around 10kg in size)
3) The cost of PET granules per 1.3 EUR (per kg) (1.46 USD)
4) PET from www.re-filament.com (made from recycled plastic bottles) has been already successfully tested and works:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BimHp3DAu9H/
5) just general curiosity of learning something than just consuming

Anycubic i3 Mega
Anycubic Chiron
Filastruder
Mahor XYZ Pellet Extruder Head