Topic: Decent printer for decent price.

Hey guys looking into buying a decent lower priced printer, I’ve been reading a lot about the creality ender 3.. any feedback?? Any other suggestions for under 500 bucks or less for a better printer option? Looking to designate this printer to TPU only.

Da Vinci 1.0 Azteeg x5 mini WiFi running Smoothieware, e3d v6.

Re: Decent printer for decent price.

look here:

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/17534/mo … -for-sale/

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

3 (edited by yizhou.he 2019-01-15 01:40:40)

I love my Ender-3, great print quality, no required upgrades, fully open source.

It is a kit printer, you do need to do some assambly, watch youtube video before assamble it. It do have enclosure, which is the major cons. but with that price, good luck find enclosed printer have similar build volume.

It is bowden setup, you may need some mod to print TPU though.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

If you're willing to take on building from a kit, $499 will get you a Folger FT-5 R2. I just finished building mine, it's my first printer, and it's doing an excellent job for me. I figure I got myself a $3k printer for the price.

I print a lot of TPU for automotive applications on my SD4.  It's a handy material, but I cannot imagine it working well with a Bowden extruder setup.

-Kevin

TPU & Bowden feed do not typically play well together.

I run TPU on my SD4 as well, with the E3D v6 hotend, and the teflon tube cut long to take up any open space between feed gear & hotend throat... and even then, sometimes, it will jump out on me. =P

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

TPU & Bowden feed do not typically play well together

Agreed if getting a dedicated machine for TPU the ender  is not  a choice i would make and if you need a 300 mm bed the fT5 is a good option or you could get one of these

https://folgertech.com/collections/3d-p … ft-mega-i3

no experience with this kit but FT kits are quite  build able if you have the time.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

Tin Falcon wrote:

TPU & Bowden feed do not typically play well together

Agreed if getting a dedicated machine for TPU the ender  is not  a choice i would make and if you need a 300 mm bed the fT5 is a good option or you could get one of these

https://folgertech.com/collections/3d-p … ft-mega-i3

no experience with this kit but FT kits are quite  build able if you have the time.

personally, i would go with the FT-5... more stable frame, and easily enclosed if you wanted to do that down the road..
but that is my preference.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

What firmware does the ft-5 run? Pretty open source?

Da Vinci 1.0 Azteeg x5 mini WiFi running Smoothieware, e3d v6.

evanboothe wrote:

What firmware does the ft-5 run? Pretty open source?

It would be Marlin as is the case with most of their printers. You could also use Repetier but you would have to fully configure it.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

yup, it runs Marlin if you build it stock

Open source all the way. All parts can easily be sourced from other vendors (including a full aluminum panel set from another vendor).

The beauty of these kits is that they ARE open source, but the headaches of sourcing all the individual bits is done for you. Everything you need to build a fully functioning printer is included in the kit, right down to the screws, nuts, & washers. All electronics, motors, etc - everything is there.

In the odd case that something is missing from the kit, they are pretty good about getting the needed bit(s) to you in a timely manner if you make them aware of the problem quickly - BUT - YOU need to do a complete inventory upon receiving the kit. Don't put it off, and wait for weeks before checking things over.

YOU need to do a complete inventory upon receiving the kit. Don't put it off, and wait for weeks before checking things over.

Or simply jump in and build  it and then contact FT if any parts are missing.

but heartless is correct  unless you are planning on building  the thing in a couple or tree weeks do a complete inventory.

Me i just jump in and build. i do organize screws in a tray as it is easier to find them .

Tin Falcon wrote:

YOU need to do a complete inventory upon receiving the kit. Don't put it off, and wait for weeks before checking things over.

Or simply jump in and build  it and then contact FT if any parts are missing.

but heartless is correct  unless you are planning on building  the thing in a couple or tree weeks do a complete inventory.

Me i just jump in and build. i do organize screws in a tray as it is easier to find them .

yeah, you can just jump right into building, but then if you come across something missing or broken, the build has to be put on hold while you wait for the replacement part(s)

Doing a complete inventory before you start building will prevent that sort of issue.
you can get any missing or broken bits in shipping, then start building..

l inventoried the major pieces before starting . If you really want to prevent issues do a meter test on the PSU heaters and  thermosistors prior to building. and if you have a another comparable printer you can test motors and driver boards as well. the board you pretty well need everything else hooked up to test.

I have buy my Ender 3 3D printer yesterday and done a few prints on it. I am so happy to say that it has exceeded my expectations. I am amazed that such a good printer can be had for under $289.