Topic: Da Vinci Jr - Supports causing clicking/under extrusion I think

I'm pretty new to 3D printing, so I have done a few calibration/test prints.

They seam to come out pretty well, but none required supports.

However whenever I try printing anything that requires supports within a few layers I start getting the extruder clicking and what I assume is under extrusion over the whole print.
I assume it has something to do with the fact that supports print differently to normal layers.
It does it in both XYZ print and Simplify3D.

I don't think it is related to Z height or temperature, as prints with no support are fine.
Any ideas as to what might cause it.

Some images showing the issue, both had identical settings only difference was supports.
The last image shows how at the end of the print, when there were no supports needed it printed fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Post's attachments

IMG_7021.jpg
IMG_7021.jpg 585.65 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_7022.jpg
IMG_7022.jpg 579.8 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_7023.jpg
IMG_7023.jpg 213.06 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Da Vinci Jr - Supports causing clicking/under extrusion I think

Support print at higher speed, which draw heat faster. try reduce print speed and raise nozzle temperature. If it does help, have you mod your hotend or hotend fan? Are you use 3rd party filament?

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

Hi Yizhou.he

Thanks for the advice.

I'm using XYZ PLA jr
Have tried temp from 190-215.
And speeds from 1000 mm/min to 2500 mm/min.
No changes.
I have added the XYZ fan part cooler, but it didn't change the results before or after.

A hour ago I was reading up on Da vinci Jr retraction causing issues, so I changed it from 5 mm to 2 mm.
It seams to have made difference, but now I'm getting stringing.
I guess it may be sitting and tweaking my retraction settings till I find a good balance.

Da Vinci Jr is bowden setup, retraction at 5mm is reasonable. 2mm is more reasonable for direct drive setup.

If your problem improves after reduce retraction length, check for resistance in your extruder, ptfe tube and throat. Also check for partial clog at hotend. High resistance in filament feeding can make retract very efficient but insufficient re-prime. Reduce retraction length will alleviate the symptom.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1