1 (edited by MrSpicyWeiner 2018-12-31 23:11:12)

Topic: Layers constantly... "wavy"?

UPDATE: I posted my solution below

Solidoodle 3 modded with an E3D V6 and a compatible Lawsy MK5
The problem (Photo below + two more)
https://i.imgur.com/zBD5N44.jpg

Repetier Host with Cura  (My settings)
Speed and Quality
Structures
Extrusion
Filament Settings

I know my retraction settings are pretty low, but this effect was happening with higher settings too. Currently I can't up the retraction settings though because I broke the bowden coupler trying to replace the PFTE tube, and higher retraction settings pull the PFTE tube out and jam the extruder.

This looks to me like an over extrusion problem, but I've already got the flow to 65%, and I've tried turning the flow % lower and it doesn't help.

Re: Layers constantly... "wavy"?

Looks like moire, gonna need to dial in your VREF and consider a different driver.  DRV8825 will eliminate this totally.  Several options really, effectively you need more steps/mm on your motor.  What you are seeing is the pulses of the motor as it steps.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Also just to note, all retraction helps with is strings and blobs between gaps.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

wardjr wrote:

Looks like moire, gonna need to dial in your VREF and consider a different driver.  DRV8825 will eliminate this totally.  Several options really, effectively you need more steps/mm on your motor.  What you are seeing is the pulses of the motor as it steps.

This would be an insane amount of Miore, no? I'm watching Lawsy's video on it again and I'll try some things in it.

carl_m1968 wrote:

Also just to note, all retraction helps with is strings and blobs between gaps.

Yeah, I was just throwing that in there in case anyone thought it might be constant blobs causing it.

100% what wardjr said.. been there, done that.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

heartless wrote:

100% what wardjr said.. been there, done that.

What they said; set VREF for the extruder first.  My SD4 came from Solidoodle at .821v, recommended on the Wiki is .4v, mine is presently set at .401v.

Ensure the extrudermotor isn't getting hot...can cause inconsistent operations.  Make certain your fans for the extruder motor are operating.

When that is done, check your extrusion; slight over-extrusion can exacerbate the moire effect.

I tend to be low on the extraction settings as well.  As long as you're not getting blobs and stringys, you're okay.

-Kevin

7 (edited by MrSpicyWeiner 2018-12-31 23:06:11)

Thanks guys! I messed around with the VREF of the Extruder by ear, basically just tuned it as low as I could get it where it had all the power it needed and there were no clicks. ( Recently moved and can't find my multimeter )
I also went ahead and calibrated the Extruder's steps so it actually consumes 100mm when I tell it to instead of 150mm, so now I can run around 100% flow properly.
I also lowered the temp to 180, I don't think this helped any but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Here's some photos of my new 3x Benchy print with improved quality.

MrSpicyWeiner wrote:

Thanks guys! I messed around with the VREF of the Extruder by ear, basically just tuned it as low as I could get it where it had all the power it needed and there were no clicks. ( Recently moved and can't find my multimeter )
I also went ahead and calibrated the Extruder's steps so it actually consumes 100mm when I tell it to instead of 150mm, so now I can run around 100% flow properly.
I also lowered the temp to 180, I don't think this helped any but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Here's some photos of my new 3x Benchy print with improved quality.

Excellent work!
and yeah, proper calibration goes a LONG ways to making nice looking prints. wink
the way you adjusted the vref is actually the preferred way of doing it... too many people get hung up on numbers when it is not necessary.

i can still see a little bit of moire happening, but it is far better than it was.
Not sure what controller board you have, but the next step would be moving to an 8825 stepper driver, if you can..

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

heartless wrote:

Not sure what controller board you have, but the next step would be moving to an 8825 stepper driver, if you can..

It's the default that came with my Solidoodle 3. "Sanguino W/ Atmega644P" I think? How difficult is it to replace the Driver? Can I replace only 1 or do I have to do all 4?

How difficult is it to replace the Driver?

should be easy with this boardjust make sure everthing is powered OFF. Watch your orientation
https://reprap.org/wiki/Sanguinololu

the genuine ones can be found here
https://www.pololu.com/product/2982

imho if you are installing these to get rid of artifacts go with the good ones. the Chinese ones have a reputation of causing this issue.
you should be fine just changeling the x and y.
pop in the new ones the double your steps per unit in the firmware via rh. or whatever method you are comfortable with.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Tin Falcon wrote:

you should be fine just changeling the x and y.

The Extruder is the motor that's causing the Moire, right? Do I /need/ to replace x&y? I'm sure it'll help, and i probably will replace them anyways if Im gonna get one for the Extruder, but will it actually benefit me here?

the only one you really need to change would be the Extruder.. and yes, that is the one causing the moire.
no, you do not need to replace X & Y...

and on the sang board, it is easy to change.. pull the old one off, push the new one on. mind the orientation of the pins, making sure things go where they are supposed to.
you will need to adjust your steps/mm for that axis - basically doubling your current steps/mm to start with, and then recalibrate so it is feeding correct again.

MrSpicyWeiner wrote:
heartless wrote:

It's the default that came with my Solidoodle 3. "Sanguino W/ Atmega644P" I think? How difficult is it to replace the Driver? Can I replace only 1 or do I have to do all 4?

for the record, some 3s came with a sang board.. a few of the later ones came with a Printrboard... Printrboard can not be changed, they are integral to the board itself.