Topic: ultimaker 2+

So, my wife wants to buy me a new printer for Christmas. After looking around and reading these forums (for years). I see there are a handful of printers your guys are really sold on. I am leaning hard towards the ultimaker 2+ because the build size is good and it appears to have decent results. My biggest question is, does anyone know how bad the noise level is. Also, how bad is the smell, I plan on using this in the house?

TIA

Re: ultimaker 2+

Bozotclown1970 wrote:

So, my wife wants to buy me a new printer for Christmas. After looking around and reading these forums (for years). I see there are a handful of printers your guys are really sold on. I am leaning hard towards the ultimaker 2+ because the build size is good and it appears to have decent results. My biggest question is, does anyone know how bad the noise level is. Also, how bad is the smell, I plan on using this in the house?

TIA

The smell depends on material. ABS smells like burning plastic and is usually gad. PLA smells like warm sugar ti a light burning plastic smell if it is a blend which is common. PETG has little to no smell at all. If you plan to use ABS then you better factor in an enclosure that can vent to outdoors or into a filter box that can filter fumes and odors.

Noise level depends on tuning as well as mods like pads and dampeners. The enclosure could also be made to deaden sound.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Do you have a store nearby you can see a demo of the unit.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

That's guys for the input. I may have to look into an enclosure to help with directing the odors.

As far as store availability, I have to say I am not in a highly technical area so there are no stores around that would be of any help.

https://www.printedsolid.com/pages/showroom

these guys should be able to help with info or an enclosure.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

I expect the UM2 will be a whole new experience for you.  They have been around for a while and have a good reputation.
Motion control is a bit difference as the x and y rods cross in the middle of the hot end carrier. IIRC ther is a 20 or 25 mm fan on either side of the hot end. the hot end is run by a bow-den extruder. the biggest difference you will find is they use 3mm filament.
I have heard there is a bit of a leaning curve due to these design differences.  so do not expect pure plug and play.
the menu is a bit difference but not hard to learn.

And research whatever you buy ask lots of questions especially at this price point. Every 3d printer has its differences. Hopefuly at the higher price points manufacturing and engineering is better. And remember a better more expensive printer expect to pay more for maintenance  parts. Search user groups get feedback.  bUt beware as some feedback is over a year old and the issues have likely been resolved.

Points well taken. I plan on making a journey to a sales point just for questions and hopefully get the opportunity to see one in action. If I decide to purchase one they provide free shipping so I will not be in any hurry to buy right now.

I personally think the smell depends on the filament manufacturer.  I use both my 3D printers in the basement, and I don't notice the small at all...neither does the wife, or visitors to the house (even when they come downstairs).

It's possible I've gone nose-blind, but if so, I would expect guests to be able to detect any odor.

-Kevin

BTW, what's your old printer?

-Kevin

My old printer is a XYZ Junior 1.0 that only prints PLA and it sits right next to my computer. Obviously it does not emit any odors since it can only print PLA.

knowack wrote:

I personally think the smell depends on the filament manufacturer.  I use both my 3D printers in the basement, and I don't notice the small at all...neither does the wife, or visitors to the house (even when they come downstairs).

It's possible I've gone nose-blind, but if so, I would expect guests to be able to detect any odor.

-Kevin

manufacturer does come into play with odors, as does the type of filament.

I have a spool of colored nylon that is just awful for odor.. terribly, nasty smelling stuff.. needless to say, it has been relegated to the storage bin and has not been used much at all.

pretty much all of my ABS has little to no odor - and I use multiple brands, but quality brands - but I use fully enclosed printers (SD4s) for that, so not much of an issue.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

12 (edited by yizhou.he 2019-01-05 19:58:30)

Bozotclown1970 wrote:

My old printer is a XYZ Junior 1.0 that only prints PLA and it sits right next to my computer. Obviously it does not emit any odors since it can only print PLA.

XYZ Junior 1.0 can print PLA, PLA+ (PLA pro), PETG. I also used a special formula ABS designed for Jr. when I was newbie. The special formula ABS is strong, low melting temperature, and don't need heated bed to print. But can not find it anymore.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

as for noise level it is listed at 50dba Quiet suburb, conversation at home. Large electrical transformers at 100 feet.
so not particularly noisy

I did notice the DB level which was one of the reason I wanted to look at this printer. I had no noise comparison though, so that helped a lot.