Topic: Printing Human Figures

I wanted to share my experiences so far in hopes of figuring out easier and better ways of printing big_smile

To start off here's my first attempt to make a full figure model, but the model tore in half! >_<
I'm not sure of this is just a given, because of the heat stress and the vertical height vs. narrow base. But the figure was  hollowed to conserve plastic (ABS)

[Refer To Attachment # 1]

second try, I tried to minimize print height and produced the model in parts.. legs, torso, skirt, head, hands etc were all printed separate. this way if a part went bad, I could rethink the way I was printing it and re-print it.

Overall I was happy, it took a heck of a long time to plan and assemble, and the hands were too small to print without it looking like a swirly turd

[Refer To Attachment # 2]

I Tried for the third time last night, this time printing a smaller scale to increase the print time.
(total: 8hours at 0.1mm with Slic3r)

the chair meant I had to take support material into consideration. at first I tried the material support option in slic3r, but found it was rubbish. it would give me a string thin line supporting large areas, and huge blocks supporting areas that really didnt need support.

so I used primitives, such as boxes to add in my own supporting objects to hold up of the chair and legs etc..

I found webbing arcs with a thin wall, worked well and is easy to remove. but larger supports seem to be too hard to remove, or when remove revealed a ugly nest of plastic strings >_<

[Refer To Attachment # 3]
[Refer To Attachment # 4]

I will start planning for another print, but I'm not sure what I should do differently in terms of support material.

Post's attachments

ef4uao2h.jpg
ef4uao2h.jpg 83.48 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_9150B.JPG
IMG_9150B.JPG 111.86 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

IMG_9153B.JPG
IMG_9153B.JPG 95.31 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

ngrkmi8c.jpg 46.32 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Printing Human Figures

Give KISSlicer a try for support, and use a raft so the support can stick to the bed.  Also if you keep your model solid rather than hollow, you can still save plastic by reducing the fill.  It should be stronger because there is some plastic throughout the cross section to hold everything together.  Adding a perimeter or two will also help with strength.

Look into adding a fan to the nozzle, that will help print small things like the hands without them getting smooshed from staying too hot - http://solidoodletips.wordpress.com/201 … ruder-fan/

I'd consult with ysb...

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/1304/tem … -figurine/
http://www.soliforum.com/topic/1260/sorceress-figurine/

He seems to be the man when it comes to human figures

4 (edited by ysb 2013-03-20 12:45:24)

wink

what work for me...

2 perimeters... 3 if you find hole in 'skin' ( one is not enough for the slope of a lot of models)

between 0.10 and 0.15 infill .. no 'hollow' ... you need the infill for the stability of the model during the print and the "line" of the infill will help for the overhang part (0.12 is a good average choice.. sometimes 0.10 is not enough)

slow move... but not too slow because the heat of the hot tip of the extruder will continue to melt the abs (best is a controlled fan in this case..it help also for slope more than 45deg)

the support generator of kisslicer is better than the one of slic3r but the gcode generator is less stable.. try and see for each of your model.

The best is to make your own support with cones (not box) so it can be easily removed and the lower surface of the tip is sufficient to help the support.

you can use brim (kissclicer) or raft (slic3r) for the base as it stabilizes the model (and prevent warping/detachment)

2 of your 3 models are not (at all) printer friendly... (the woman in chair is the worst, then the dancer..)
the last one can be print with no support (depending of the position of the arms i can't see)
if you give link, i can try to print them to help you

print it at 0.2mm layer height .. faster..less plastic...and it's the best choice with the solidoodle characteristic for quality..(see prusa calculator for proof  http://calculator.josefprusa.cz/ ) 0.1 is a luxury that a very few models benefit ... (of for a little print scale like your 2 euro height woman in chair)

and for the final... big scale is better and easiest... smile  under 70 mm , it's more difficult...

5 (edited by mariokart64n 2013-03-21 03:06:35)

thanks for the explanation, I haven't explored these options yet but can see how important they are now.

In addition to the extruder fan, I do not have an enclosure. do you think its necessary to use an enclosure to maintain ambient temperature?

Also here's the dancer and the chair models if you want to try.
dl.dropbox.com/u/86746436/objs.zip

thanks again for the tips big_smile

6 (edited by ysb 2013-03-21 13:25:22)

it's my pleasure..

i dont use a fan( but i will do the mod in a near futur..)

but i use a enclosure with controlled inside temperature...

enclosure is a "must have"... because you can ruin a print just by moving air around your printer during a print...

when you print a thin arm (or another small part.), you do not want to change the properties of your object being printed by cooling ("don't open this window !! noooooo!!! " (cold air... woooooshh...self-destruction of a 14h print...)) which will cause a bad fusion of ABS layers or worse : warping of the base or a blob of abs that become hard too fast and catch the extruder during a travel after that and break a thin support that will be used for another part...classic story)

but you don't want also to be in a too hot ambient.. (ABS don't cool enough fast and thin part move with the extruder during extruding travel...my enclosure is set to stay at 30 degC)

also before an important print, always clean you bed with acetone : it help preventing warp (rule of thumb.. always clean your bed before each print...)

i will try to print the dancer... (the chair is a nightmare for our printer...)

7 (edited by ysb 2013-03-21 22:49:02)

hem... ok.... there a lot of problem in your model (and missing poly in your print example wink )

perhaps the nightmare is not the one i think about...
work in progress.. big_smile

Post's attachments

juliet_error.jpg 55.93 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

how did you generate that report?

I did alot of hole capping when I diced the model into parts. limbs, head, etc.. do you want the cut up stl files I used?

i use a professional software... but is it the original files that you put on your dropbox?  it seems that its already modified objects... i prefer to work on the non modified file...

but apart this.. you choose the worst position for juliet  .. each time we get near horizontal surface, its a nightmare to work with. i removed the chainsaw (the chainsaw is a problem on itself... will work on it later)  and cleaned a bit the mesh ...   i need to open all my toolbox...

i will not let a stack of evil pixels win this battle!

lol ^_^

the only things that I really wasn't able to print on juilet was the hair and hands.. but you've already explained this as the tip being too hot and melting the small features.

I'm going to collect materials this weekend hopefully get better results with smaller parts, for example hands.

I'll first get an enclosure and maybe a thermostat so I can read the temperature inside. then need to find a small fan I can mount on the extruder. tongue

anyways juilet is from a video game called lollipopchainsaw, the game models can be viewed using a program called umodel. I posed her after one of the game posters [attached below]

Post's attachments

2240909-lollipopchainsaw_oopspinup.jpg
2240909-lollipopchainsaw_oopspinup.jpg 3.09 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

11 (edited by ysb 2013-03-22 09:42:37)

yes.. i find her...

you'd better to pose her in a more vertical pose like this picture.. (see joined)

it will be easy to add specific support for the head and other specific part..
i just launch a 7h print with automatic support from slic3er (kissclicer didn't like her..) ..pictures in 7 hours wink

http://www.jeuxcapt.com/upload/module_images/1336675051_Lollipop_chainsaw13.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-EG4wOWNLTrI/T8f49AQwtzI/AAAAAAAAAgA/l1tq3IR7Dhc/s1600/lollipop_chainsaw-1923438.jpg

http://image.jeuxvideo.com/images/x3/l/o/lollipop-chainsaw-xbox-360-1325582528-044.jpg

12 (edited by ysb 2013-03-22 19:41:36)

ok... photos times...

it's not a great succes as i didn't do all i do for such a model when i print it for me...

the model by itself come well... but i didn,t put enough thickness in her clothes... (0.4mm...)

it's like a zombie eat all her clothes... (perhaps it's a hentai model ? wink )

now i know where are the points to check... the bad pixels win this battle... second round.. i will win the war...

the choice to print her at 45 deg is good.. i didn't clean her completely because the print is not good, but all is here : hand, hair, etc...

Post's attachments

P1140464.JPG
P1140464.JPG 213.91 kb, 1 downloads since 2013-03-22 

P1140465.JPG
P1140465.JPG 131.2 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

P1140466.JPG
P1140466.JPG 118.65 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

P1140467.JPG
P1140467.JPG 109.1 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

P1140468.JPG 117.39 kb, 1 downloads since 2013-03-22 

wow, was the entire figure held by the generated support material? or did you add your own supports (cones)

I'm surprised that those plastic ribbins were enough to hold the model up.

14 (edited by ysb 2013-03-22 20:34:09)

yep.. it's the automatic support generator of slic3r... you didn't need something very thick to support.. and it's easily removed..

in fact, it's overkill because with the model on 45 deg, we only need support for the skirt, hair, head,arms and hands.. not for the body or leg

15 (edited by ysb 2013-03-23 11:40:36)

this time i win... well ..at 95%...

all the clothes are ok.. the models is full... i just need to adjust fine details... the next one will be perfect.. as this one was not printed in the right position (i tested the quality of my 'skinning') .. its why the hands and face seem to be "burn" (too much heat in the wrong position)

the last picture is with an aceton brush to remove sanding step

Post's attachments

acetone.jpg 134.73 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

p2.jpg
p2.jpg 286.13 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

p3.jpg
p3.jpg 133.21 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

very nicely done. you might look at daz 3d and hexagon programs. with daz 3d you can pose models you purchase or make and then transfer them into hexagon from whichyou can then make an stl

what did you change from the last print, changed position, lower heat, and larger thickness?

print quality looks great now, and I can't even see any burrs from the support material. very well done

18 (edited by ysb 2013-03-23 14:24:37)

i work a  lot on the model... yep, larger thickness on every part and clean all that is not needed for the final look (remove some hair, clean geometry...)

for an example, this is her skirt before and after..(joined picture)

for a good print, you need enough thickness on all parts. This will help for a good support
this one was printed with internal support of kissclicer (more robust than the one of slic3r, but harder to remove..)
but in "L"' position instead of the previous one in "<" position (notice the difference ? wink )

now that i know that the model is clean without hole, i can work on making integrated support..

Post's attachments

juliet_all.jpg
juliet_all.jpg 135.97 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

skirt.jpg 84.54 kb, 2 downloads since 2013-03-23 

ysb, you are so next level! I hope you post the final stl so I can give this one a shot.

20 (edited by ysb 2013-03-24 13:11:07)

@Manx

i already use poser pro and hexagon (try to print a poser/daz3d model and you will see that it's not a piece of cake..) .. the problem here is to transform a model that was made for a video game in a "printable" one

@nickythegreek
thanks.. it's just a question of time and tools .. 90% of sweat and 10 % of skill..

sure I'll put the model after I am happy with the result ..

teaser included ^^

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&amp;item=1568&amp;download=1

Post's attachments

last.jpg
last.jpg 108.54 kb, 242 downloads since 2013-03-23 

SB i have and its a right bitch and more than a half

Manx wrote:

SB i have and its a right bitch and more than a half

sorry.. i don't understand what you mean... english is not my native language

I ment YSB i've used dax and hexagon totry to print a human figure and its a bitchand a half towork with

24 (edited by ysb 2013-03-24 13:06:16)

ok... 7 hours of printing later.. this is my last result...
there are still some tweaking that we can make (mostly on the hair) but i work on juliet all my saturday and it's enough.. smile

you can see the picture just after the printing with all my supports... the support that suport the support ... and the support that support the support that support the support.. big_smile

i print it at half my usual speed... because of the support.. (too fast and the extruder break some supports when moving..)
i'm happy with the result.. a bit of sanding and she will be good looking

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&amp;item=1601&amp;download=1
http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&amp;item=1602&amp;download=1

my homemade support do their job... all is well printed... with a support removing time of one (1) minute.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&amp;item=1603&amp;download=1
http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&amp;item=1604&amp;download=1

i put also a picture of 'homemade support result' vs ' automatic support result' ...

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&amp;item=1605&amp;download=1
what i can said, it's that the result is very dependant of the model and tweaking of the automatic support ...  there is a clear gain when you remove it.. it took me less than 2 minutes to remove and clean mine, vs near 20 minutes to clean the kissclicer one (a bit less for the slic3r one..) and this model was REALLY (i mean REALLY REALLY ! ) complicated to support..

i joined the stl if you want to try...
my own model wait for me wink

the STL is too heavy for the forum, you can download it here :
http://m20g2g.1fichier.com/en/

dont' use any raft, brim or support with this stl... all is in
sorry for the photos, the black filament is not photo-friendly...

now... who will made the chainsaw stl ? big_smile tongue

Post's attachments

clean1.jpg
clean1.jpg 136.5 kb, 285 downloads since 2013-03-24 

clean2.jpg 501.93 kb, 295 downloads since 2013-03-24 

dos.jpg
dos.jpg 149.77 kb, 281 downloads since 2013-03-24 

face.jpg
face.jpg 147.86 kb, 283 downloads since 2013-03-24 

support.jpg
support.jpg 117.11 kb, 282 downloads since 2013-03-24 

So in the end, you choose to use custom supports, not the generated supports?

prints looks amazing by the way ^_^