Topic: Cura III / slicer? questions

I've been using the Cura that came with my Monoprice Ultimkaker. 

I've noticed that sometimes the way it decides to start and stop a layer in the same place for each layer causes weird artifacts.  If I could choose where the start & end points are I could improve the finish of a part.  Sometimes, randomizing them might be better, sometimes just choosing the right place where the artifact won't matter would be better.

I often print many identical small parts in one batch / one gcode file. 

What are option / where do I find out about this sort of thing?

Dave
3D printer - Monoprice Maker Ultimate with mods-
microswiss hot end, Bondtech extruder, twin cooling fans & ducts, insulated heater block, enclosed with Lexan like the Wanhao D6 it is based on.

Re: Cura III / slicer? questions

If the joint is that pronounced then you could be over extruding or under extruding. But there is a setting in most slicers to randomize start point. That is the best way to avoid the issue if you can't get your extrusion rate calibrated properly.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

I'll have to look for that setting.  I have adjusted the extrusion and retraction a fair amount, to get the overall finish optimized.

Dave
microswiss hot end, Bondtech extruder, twin cooling fans & ducts, insulated heater block, enclosed with Lexan like the Wanhao D6 it is based on.

Dave455 wrote:

I'll have to look for that setting.  I have adjusted the extrusion and retraction a fair amount, to get the overall finish optimized.

Have you actually calibrated your extrusion so that you print a single wall at .48mm thickness?

I have not heard of this before....

Is there a link somewhere to the procedure?

When I installed the Bondtech  feeder, I had to re tune the extrusion.  It started off too heavy, so I dialed it back a few % and ran a build.  Repeated this a few cycles until it started to look under extruded, and settled on the setting I have now.

Dave

Dave455 wrote:

I have not heard of this before....

Is there a link somewhere to the procedure?

When I installed the Bondtech  feeder, I had to re tune the extrusion.  It started off too heavy, so I dialed it back a few % and ran a build.  Repeated this a few cycles until it started to look under extruded, and settled on the setting I have now.

Try this:

https://www.matterhackers.com/articles/ … r-extruder

7 (edited by heartless 2018-12-13 01:51:47)

I personally use Slic3r, but the procedure should be basically the same...

https://northwoods3d.weebly.com/blog/fi … ion-part-1
https://northwoods3d.weebly.com/blog/-f … coming-out

any questions, just ask...

and for the record.. 90% of what those two links talk about has been gleaned from multiple posts & people right here in this forum. All I did was gather it all up and put it all in one place in (i hope) a fairly easy to follow guide

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1