Topic: Update Solidoodle 3 to lastest firmware?

what is the best method to do this?

with the recent release of Simplify3d 4.1.1 and then seeing this video: https://youtu.be/lAKyZd63_ns

I was really hoping to bring my printers Firmware in the the now with some up to date marlin firmware!

I was following along with tom all fine and good, but got nervous, I do not want to brick my machine.
I want to be certain it will work after the fact.
Any and all input welcome.

Running Ubuntu MATE 18.04 x64 LTS with a Solidoodle 3 sanguinololuREV1.3a

Re: Update Solidoodle 3 to lastest firmware?

http://www.soliwiki.com/Updating_Solidoodle_Firmware

Sd4 #9080 with a glass bed. E3d chimera duel extruder. Paste extruder , duet wifi.
Lawsy carriages. linear bearings. Y axis direct drive, Kinect scanner
SD4#8188 glass bed, lawsly carriages, E3d v6, octoprint http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hotrod96z28
Filastruder/filawinder, Custom Delta 300mm x 600mm

So, can I update with the latest marlin firmware? (marlin 1.1.9) or... whats all this Arduino v0022 is that the same as Arduino IDE 1.8.8 (or is IDE the new software?)

let me put it this way.

What is the latest version of firmware I can have on my Solidoodle 3 sanguinololuREV1.3a motherboard?
And how do I check which version I currently have installed?

onus34 wrote:

So, can I update with the latest marlin firmware? (marlin 1.1.9) or... whats all this Arduino v0022 is that the same as Arduino IDE 1.8.8 (or is IDE the new software?)

let me put it this way.

What is the latest version of firmware I can have on my Solidoodle 3 sanguinololuREV1.3a motherboard?

Are you having a problem with you SD that an update claims to fix? When it comes to firmware, newest is not always the best. Unless you are having issues and the latest firmware directly claims to fix your issues then you should just stick with the version you have.

There is a very big risk of bricking your controller during flashing so unless you just have to, you should just leave what you have.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Fair enough, I like the way you thing.
No my issues stem directly from trying to use Simplify3D with my Solidoodle.
I'm hoping they fixed the issues in 4.1.1 but I haven't had a chance to check, I am nervous that I will find more issues instead of less... the last version of Simplify3D that worked flawlessly was 3.1.1 but when I upgraded to 4.0.0 all kinds of weird kinks became apparent.
primarily having to manually disable the “wait for startup command” before every print.
as well as the inability for the software to detect when the bed it as temp, so I end up forcing next via the GUI.
I tried asking support@simplify3d for help but they just wanted to blame my firmware... so that's where I am.
I am willing to take my time, and I am afraid of bricking my printer, that is why I am here.

I seek wisdom!

I will test S3D 4.1.1 and see where I stand before taking any crazy leaps, and I thank you for your input, confirming my concerns: if it ain't broke...

carl_m1968 wrote:
onus34 wrote:

let me put it this way.

Are you having a problem with you SD that an update claims to fix? When it comes to firmware, newest is not always the best. Unless you are having issues and the latest firmware directly claims to fix your issues then you should just stick with the version you have.

There is a very big risk of bricking your controller during flashing so unless you just have to, you should just leave what you have.

Carl,

While I agree with your advice, I would say that the risk of bricking your controller is quite small actually. It's just that the consequences of failure are pretty big.

7 (edited by carl_m1968 2018-12-10 22:49:09)

justsomeguy wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:
onus34 wrote:

let me put it this way.

Carl,

While I agree with your advice, I would say that the risk of bricking your controller is quite small actually. It's just that the consequences of failure are pretty big.

So how can you be sure there will be no power failure or glitch during the flash process if you don't have access to a UPS? The chance is always there and the question is what is more important. Some firmware that may create more problems or a working machine as it is now. Every-time you flash any device you are pressing your luck and really should go buy a lottery ticket each time you succeed.

The consequences of failure is a bricked controller so whats the difference? You just worded it in a less threatening manner.

onus34 wrote:

Fair enough, I like the way you thing.
No my issues stem directly from trying to use Simplify3D with my Solidoodle.
I'm hoping they fixed the issues in 4.1.1 but I haven't had a chance to check, I am nervous that I will find more issues instead of less... the last version of Simplify3D that worked flawlessly was 3.1.1 but when I upgraded to 4.0.0 all kinds of weird kinks became apparent.
primarily having to manually disable the “wait for startup command” before every print.
as well as the inability for the software to detect when the bed it as temp, so I end up forcing next via the GUI.
I tried asking support@simplify3d for help but they just wanted to blame my firmware... so that's where I am.
I am willing to take my time, and I am afraid of bricking my printer, that is why I am here.

I seek wisdom!

I will test S3D 4.1.1 and see where I stand before taking any crazy leaps, and I thank you for your input, confirming my concerns: if it ain't broke...

Firmware updates are not going to fix this issue, Sorry to be the bearer of bad news here.
The issues are within S3D itself - NOT your firmware.
If things were working fine before updating S3D, and then after updating they are not working, that is a problem with S3D.

They want to blame your firmware because it is easy for them to do so and they don't have to admit to any failings on their part.

When S3D came out I was very skeptical of the whole thing and refused to buy into it. Now my skepticism is proving warranted..

I have used Repetier Host and Slic3r from the beginning, and will continue to do so. Properly set up, both programs work fine, and I get excellent results from them.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

9 (edited by Tin Falcon 2018-12-16 00:09:10)

From what i have seen simpify 3d is becoming bloated and has bugs they do not want to fix.  It used to be good but the free slicers like slic3r and cura have improved . there is little reason to spend the $ 150 on simplify 3d .
Also the lat I heard the latest IDE version of arduno recommended for loading firmware fro printers is 1.6.7 newer version do not have the led display library this applies to reprap type printers since the sd do not have board  this may or may not apply .

Like Carl suggested if the board is working why try to fix it.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Tin Falcon wrote:

From what i have seen simpify 3d is becoming bloated and has bugs they do not want to fix.  It used to be good but the free slicers like slic3r and cura have improved . there is little reason to spend the $ 150 on simplify 3d .

There is a hacked version of 3.0 floating around if you wanted to try it without the $150 cost. It has no profiles though and of course no support.

There is a hacked version of 3.0 floating around if you wanted to try it without the $150 cost. It has no profiles though and of course no support.

Thanks, but no . I gave up on pirated software years ago. There are plenty of free slicers out there to use and try . Many of which i have not even downloaded .

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura