Topic: Is this forum dead now?

Barely any posts lately.

Re: Is this forum dead now?

It often gets a little slow around the holidays.

I got complaint that I post too much, so I have been trying my best not to post. I think everyone else also got the message and trying to do the same thing to avoid complaint.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

4 (edited by n2ri 2018-12-04 05:57:06)

AndersE wrote:

Barely any posts lately.

looks like you dont post enough for others to know your still active ;^P 81 posts in 4 years. I only been here 1 year more and got ya beat by well over 2,000 lol. ya get out of life what ya put into it.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

IMHO the hype and excitement of a few years ago has waned the Solidoodle company is out of business. so no new solidoodle this holiday . I think some folks are following facebook pages and forums for Chinese import printers and yes it is the holidays. . 

If you have a question ask if you have something to share share.
This forum still has relavance and value.

tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

I still lurk. But our company's SD3 got fuxxored a bit a few years ago, and I haven't had a chance to diagnose it. We picked up a FlashForge Creator Pro to continue making the part that we initially bought the SD3 to output, and it's been (knocks on wood) pretty trouble-free.

I initially signed up here to gain insight into common SD issues and to learn more... Now that I'm a bit more seasoned, my visits dropped. But I do occasionally pop in just to see what's going on, and am glad this place is still going!

But yeah, I also noticed that it has slowed down.

Two SD3s - One with Sang, One with Printrboard, Fans on control boards!!! Do this!!!, Dual Glass Beds, Blacklight "EZ Bake Oven" - Improves Ambient Temp, Sketchup, Repetier, Slic3r. Graphic Designer & Makeshift Engineer. Drinks Lots and Lots and Lots of Rum.

When i look on posted posts there are almost none. i don't mean on the forum in its whole, but this exact subforum for extrusion (diy filaments).

If there are any other forums that discuss and test different materials for home extrusion i would like to know.

There are other 3d printing forums out there . I kind of lurk on the folger tech forum.
As far as DIY filament making I do not know you need to do a google search.
And as far as the interest in DIY filament making i do not know if it is on the rise or waning.

When a kg of filament is below $20 a kilo more or less it is hard to justify a filastuder. Especially when one has precious little shop room.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

Tin Falcon wrote:

When a kg of filament is below $20 a kilo more or less it is hard to justify a filastuder. Especially when one has precious little shop room.

...or time.

Well there are many of us who have built their machines fromn scratch, not a flastruder.
And pellets in bags of 25kg are a lot less. i pay about $5-6 per kg incl masterbatch.

then there are the satisfaction of doing it by yourself, and be able to experiment with colors and materials.

and that is cool, do what makes you happy . Hobbies are superposed to be fun.
Personalty I do not feel i have the extra rime or money for such endeavors . At least at this point in life.

12 (edited by genesat1 2018-12-16 14:29:19)

I have several things I want to do, for instance what would happen if I used a Palette to do print a mostly black object and then custom made filament using: https://justpigments.com/collections/ch … ica-powder as a very thin outer shell of the object. 

Catch is its 40 degrees out in my unheated garage - in the middle of the day.  Experimenting is for fun, and fun requires the ambient temperature involved be >60-65.

genesat1 wrote:

I have several things I want to do, for instance what would happen if I used a Palette to do print a mostly black object and then custom made filament using: https://justpigments.com/collections/ch … ica-powder as a very thin outer shell of the object. 

Catch is its 40 degrees out in my unheated garage - in the middle of the day.  Experimenting is for fun, and fun requires the ambient temperature involved be >60-65.

Printers print in layers, not columns. So to print a single wall outer layer in a different color is going to be hard. The pallet is designed to make entire layers of a different color, not just one pass.

You might be able to do what you want with a dual extruder system, but unless the outer layer is translucent then your not going to see the inside so you might as print the entire thing in the outside color.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

carl_m1968 wrote:
genesat1 wrote:

Printers print in layers, not columns. So to print a single wall outer layer in a different color is going to be hard. The pallet is designed to make entire layers of a different color, not just one pass.

You might be able to do what you want with a dual extruder system, but unless the outer layer is translucent then your not going to see the inside so you might as print the entire thing in the outside color.

I have a Palette 2, perhaps it has a larger buffer or it just plain splices faster but I already have had it do different colors in the same layer successfully.

The outer layer would be translucent.  Chamelion pigments are made of a mostly transparent material that need a dark color behind them to work, so in a more transparent resin like 3D850 and in a thin shell (eg tell slicer to use an extrusion width of maybe .3) I think the effect might work.

I used to be very active here, but that was back when I was still in highschool. Im in college now and things are too nuts for me to be as involved and my projects have also shifted away from polymer extrusion, but I am still very interested. I still check the forums all the time, but my industrial polymer granulator and Filastruder have both been donated to my university's MechE department because my parents wanted my stuff out of the garage. If I ever get back into the groove of testing out new polymers this would be the place I would come back to.

Ulitmaker 2, a few repraps, Custom Big FFF 3D printer with heated chamber.

My Blog http://ggalisky.weebly.com/
My Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXShYo … aDUpebDAOw