1 (edited by andersonmichael007 2018-11-29 22:02:36)

Topic: XYZ 1.0 Pro issue

I ran a who spool through the printer with success.
Now I can not get the filament to stay on the bed.
Getting to be very pissed off right now, ran calibration, says fail, but does not tell me what is off.

need some advice please.

Re: XYZ 1.0 Pro issue

andersonmichael007 wrote:

I ran a who spool through the printer with success.
Now I can not get the filament to stay on the bed.
Getting to be very pissed off right now, ran calibration, says fail, but does not tell me what is off.

need some advice please.

When it runs cal it should give you numbers. It looks for around 250 on three so you need to adjust the higher or lower numbers. There is an app to help or you can stop using their faulty method and use the manual method stickied in the xyz section.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

from my experience the beds do run out of calibration quite easily, I only have to clean the bed and it shifts, I use the manual method, or if the extruder starts clicking I wind in the adjustor 1/4 turn on the section of bed its currently operating on. (tightening the screw moves the bed away from the hot end

So in the past I put down masking tape and added glue from a glue stick.

Is there a better way to set that up to hold to table?

Want to have issue free experience life with this 3D printer.

Also looking to buy another, any suggestions for an affordable unit for a classroom??

So in the past I put down masking tape and added glue from a glue stick.

Is there a better way to set that up to hold to table?

Want to have issue free experience life with this 3D printer.

Also looking to buy another, any suggestions for an affordable unit for a classroom??

I have bad news for you. No matter what you spend on a 3D printer you will never have an issue free experience. They will always need adjusting, tweaking, and tuning. Down the road they will even need repair.

If your first layer height is set correctly by using the manual method then it will take care of most of the adherence issues. The built in method is faulty as it does not take into account for your set layer height. The first layer should be half or less of your desired layer height for max adherence. For example if your desired print layer is .3 then your first layer height should be .15 or less. The numbers that the 1.0 display shows are actually the measured height at each point of measure and the machine is looking for 250 which is actually .25 which is really too tall regardless of your layer height.

As for adherence assist methods you are mixing them and could be part of the issue. If printing PLA you want to use a cool bed and blue painters tape. Not sure if masking works the same. You can also print PLA on a heated bed but for that you need glue and it needs to be put directly on the glass or Kapton tape. An alternative that works well is Aquanet hairspray applied to the bare glass. But you need to wait for the part and glass to cool to room temp before attempting removal.

For ABS it needs a heated bed and again glue on the glass or Kapton tape. No painters tape. You will also fine that hairspray works well here as well. Another ABS method is ABS paste. This is made by dissolving small amounts of ABS in Acetone an spreading a very light coat of this over the bare glass. This sometimes can work too well though and chip the glass.

As for a good open source printer the Monoprice Ultimate Maker seems to be getting much praise from some of our core members here and is in the $500 or less range.

what do you think about anet A6?

It's just another cheap variation of the Prusa and you get what you pay for. If you want a good printer that will be easier to work with you need to be ready to break the $300 price range. In 3d printers you get exactly what you pay for. They are cheap for a reason. You should do your research, read reviews, and repeat over and over until you find what you feel is right for you. But like I said you will never get a worry free machine even spending $2000 plus on one.

8 (edited by yizhou.he 2018-11-30 22:07:03)

Try avoid Anet A6 and Anet A8, they need a lots of assembly and modification in order to get it work well.

Among the printer I actually owned, for cheap 3d printer kit, I only recommend Ender-3 or Ender-3X, build volume 220 x 220 x 250mm, list price $200 and you can get as low as $160 when on sale. It do take 2-4 hours to assemble depend on your skill, (it took me 40 minutes to start first print).

For cheap 3d printer, I recommend MonoPrice maker select plus, 200 x 200 x 180mm, list price $300 and you can get open box item as low as $200 when on sale. It take 5-10 minutes to assemble. The frame is not as stable as Ender-3 but print quality is good and very easy to use.

MonoPrice select ultimate is a great printer too,  200 x 200 x 180mm, list price $500 and when on sale open box as low as $350. It is pre-assembled and frame is strong and stable. Only major issue is the price is too high for beginners.

CR-10S is kind of bigger version of Ender-3, large build volume 300 x 300 x 400mm, almost pre-assembled, It take 5-10 minutes to assemble. list printer $500, and you can get $400 when on sale. It is great large build volume printer but unnecessarily big and unnecessarily expensive for beginners.

If you don't have much experience, I would recommend you get a cheaper one, because new user break 3d printers due to improper use regardless the quality of the printer, and Ender-3 is relatively strong and stable and it is less likely to break your heart when something went wrong considering the low cost. It is also opensource software and hardware with great community support.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

I used to have similar issues with prints not sticking to the bed until I fitted a PEI sheet
Everything sticks really well now and just pops right off the bed once its cooled down.

I've tried glue sticks, blue sheets, buildtak but PEI just worked for me and I have almost zero problems now.

http://soliforum.com/i/?VUMSlYY.jpghttp://soliforum.com/i/?kkYxN5p.jpg

This is what is happening, I really thought it was going to go the whole way then this crap happens again.

Frustrated for sure.

Your issue is not prints not stick to bed, instead, your printer nozzle is too high from the bed. Your raft are dropped to the bed instead of squeezed to the bed, the raft corner where nozzle changes direction is round. the right side corner is sharper than the left side suggest small bed leveling issue.

Anyway, when your printer finished raft, the first layer of your print is dropped on raft instead of squeezed on the raft, which cause poor layer binding between first layer and the raft, and will be very easy to be scrapped off when printing 2nd and 3rd layer.

I would also recommend manual bed leveling, a lot more reliable.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

A proper first layer should be squashed to have or less of the desired layer height.

so I am not happy and probably never buy an XYZ printer again, but I have one now 1.0 pro and I have been listening to everyone, thank you very much, but when I read manual it talks about a guided adjustment process, but when I run calibrate, I only get fail.

so I am not sure how to calibrate this to get me back on track making these projects that my students have designed.

why does not my machine show me what the manual says?

ideas to leveling with out those controls?

again thank you

14 (edited by yizhou.he 2018-12-11 22:45:15)

difficulty in autoleveling usually caused by z-offset are far off, it only work relative well when z-offset or bed height is within the range. So adjust the bed leveling screw so that the bed is relatively leveled and do the autoleveling again.

using the calibrate function to level the bed is a most frustrating process, my advice is once you do get it within range of the calibration, to stop there and use the manual method, I think last time i used the calibrate function it took me over an hour of tearing my hair out to achieve a result that wasnt a fail, then I did the manual method with a sheet of paper, and have just used the manual method since.

16 (edited by Tin Falcon 2018-12-13 11:38:11)

ideas to leveling with out those controls?

again thank you

It is a simple matter of homing the z axis and setting the height of the nozzle to a thickness of a piece of paper a .003 thick shim  or feeler gauge works best just move the nozzle to each of the 4 corners and adjust then repeat.

I too  would stay away from anet and most of the Chinese knock off brands.

IMHO the monoprice line is a good value the Ultimate maker is nice for $400 (open box)
even the bottom of the line is not bad

I have had good luck with printing on glass with hairspray.

My MP ultimate is my only printer with auto leveling  and it does not work . I tried it a couple  times then gave up.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

17 (edited by yizhou.he 2018-12-13 02:29:37)

Tin Falcon wrote:

My MP ultimate is my only printer with auto leveling  and it does not work . I tried it a couple  times then gave up.

What? My MP Ultimate did not have auto-leveling! I guess that is what they meant "you get what you paid for." My ultimate only have assisted manual bed leveling. It automatically move to corner of the bed and I have to turn the leveling screw manually to get bed leveled. Not that I like to use fully automated bed leveling, but it feels like I missed something. Are you sure your ultimate came with auto-leveling? not someone opened the box and add the mod for you?

yizhou.he wrote:
Tin Falcon wrote:

What? My MP Ultimate did not have auto-leveling! I guess that is what they meant "you get what you paid for." My ultimate only have assisted manual bed leveling. It automatically move to corner of the bed and I have to turn the leveling screw manually to get bed leveled. Not that I like to use fully automated bed leveling, but it feels like I missed something. Are you sure your ultimate came with auto-leveling? not someone opened the box and add the mod for you?

Maybe yours is an earlier  revision.

No auto bed level just manual assist like your you did not miss out.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

Tin Falcon wrote:

No auto bed level just manual assist like your you did not miss out.

Great, feel much better now. Thanks for confirmation. I actually like the manual assist bed leveling, much easier than no assist bed leveling and more reliable than auto-leveling.

well mine does not work likely the reason it is an open box unit.

22 (edited by yizhou.he 2018-12-14 02:54:14)

Tin Falcon wrote:

well mine does not work likely the reason it is an open box unit.

what can possibly wrong with assisted manual bed leveling? All it does is move to the corners, you turn the screw, and then hit next, it moves to next corner. Your printer can print, right?