Topic: blue tape 3m brand #2090 with non heated bed

Once again, thank you all for the help. I feel i am really close to understanding things with my printer.

I read an article the other day about useing the "Magical Blue Tape" by 3m, number 2090. So i have been using that. One issue i am running into, is the fact that the PLA is sticking hardcore to the tape. It does not come off easy. I have adjusted z offset and it is, in my opinion, spot on. The PLA is not digging into the tape, just sticks to the blue tape, or any kind of masking tape like crazy. i have tried three different brands and numbersof tape haha

Usually i have to remove the tape because my putty knife destroys the tape in the process haha. Is there a better material to print PLA on? i use hatchbox and XYZ PLA.

Thanks

Re: blue tape 3m brand #2090 with non heated bed

print on glass with glue stick, or hair spray. google of guides tricks and tips.

Yes, Da vinci Jr. came with glass bed, glue stick is water soluable also.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

yizhou.he wrote:

print on glass with glue stick, or hair spray. google of guides tricks and tips.

Yes, Da vinci Jr. came with glass bed, glue stick is water soluable also.

ok, cool. i will give that a shot. I have a purple glue stick on hand. I will try that tonight.

It72884 - quit yer bitchin'.  You've accomplished what most everyone on this board has had trouble with.  Some folks would almost pay for your secret. 
I use hairspray on glass and most always have to use a 'hammer and chisel' to get the prints off, hot or cold.  1 problem I just don't worry about any more.

Ender 3 Pro

Ski52 wrote:

It72884 - quit yer bitchin'.  You've accomplished what most everyone on this board has had trouble with.  Some folks would almost pay for your secret. 
I use hairspray on glass and most always have to use a 'hammer and chisel' to get the prints off, hot or cold.  1 problem I just don't worry about any more.

Are you using just a very light mist of hairspray? Something is not right as you should normally hear the part snap it's self loose at around 27c or so.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Ski52 wrote:

LMAO! i aint bitchin haha. I am looking at this the other way around. I see people using tape and it comes off real nice and easy. Im the one willing to pay for their secret haha.

My concern is breaking the glass because of how much force is required to get it off haha.

anyway, im going to try it on the glass with the glue stick and see what happens. 

thanks

you may need a few tools for part removal when stubborn that can save damage to printer & part. 1st a single edge razor blade in a scraper type handle then 2 more tools found in baking stainless steel utensils at stores 1 is the Icing knife/spatula used to smooth icing on cakes, then the scraper chopper 4"-6" wide used to scrape griddles that dont have non-stick surface also for bakers to use chopping dough etc in pan or on prep table. I have used all 3 tools to great success depending on need. always start with thinnest tool to start then it can be left under part to get thicker tool started also. find what works best.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

One other note would be that you need to adjust your z axis up a little.

Carl - If you remember earlier this year I posted about a new can of Aqua Net that I bought.  The nozzle was different than the older cans I had used.  Essentially there is no control of the spray.  It comes out almost in globs.  As it dries it settles out to 'glass smooth', but I think it's a rather thick coat.  Parts are somewhat easier to remove when the glass is at ambient temp, but none of mine 'pop' off by themselves.  When I do get them off, they take the hair spray layer in the shape if the part right down to the glass.  I use a single-edged razor blade in a plastic holder to pry them off. 
It - The glass I use came from old HP scanners from where I used to work.  I cut 2 pieces and  have been using them for near 5 years.  Don't know what Kind of glass it is, but it's not regular window glass.  I've  dropped them once or twice, I clean them with soap & water then alcohol, they are held to the build plate with 3 screw-type clamps - they are still crystal clear - no scratches or chips.  As I said I don't know what kind of glass it is, maybe someone here can tell you.

Ender 3 Pro

I think to get the part pop out of plate after cool to room temperature require use of heated bed. When glass bed heated up, it expands in volume, the print get on the glass. When it cools down, glass shrink at different rate as plastic, and your print will pop out during the cooling process.

Stock Da Vinci Jr. don't have heated bed, so it can be a problem. Soak in water if use glue stick will allow easy come off, put in freezer will also allow it pop out if use hair spray. But both method will be easier if glass bed is removable.

I agree with Bozotclown1970 that increase nozzle height will make it lot easier, in that case, observe the shape of filament lay on the bed, it should be slightly squeezed on print bed, the shape should not be flat, that will cause print hard to remove. It should not be round either, otherwise print corner will lift.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

11 (edited by lt72884 2018-10-27 04:02:07)

I am happy to report that with just the glass bed, and a purple elmers glue stick. my part stuck and came off easily. This part was a rectangular block, so now its time to try something with less surface area and see how it does, along with brims and supports haha

I left z axis alone for mere fact of the thickness of the blue tape. EDIT. let me re-word this. i was going to adjust z axis, but then realized if i remove the tape, maybe, just maybe ill be ok:)

@n2ri - I will be looking for those tools. i am very familiar with those since my wife is a cake decorator haha

@ski52 Thanks for the idea with the hairspray and the HP scanner glass. at least i know there is a replacment if i break mine, which i hope inever do, or if i build my own printer, i know what type of glass to get

the glass seems to allow for smoother prints

thanks again all. Im going to keep trying to priont on the glass and hopefully continue with great results