Topic: 1.0 PRO extruder not heating - motherboard issue

So I've bought Pro with damaged W5 motherboard and 0030 error. It appeared, that 12v line 0 ohm resistor was fried. Replaced it with a fuse, everything looked fine, but the extruder is not heating. The extruder is OK, I took it from a working printer, cable is OK too, when heated with external heat source, printer shows increasing temp, so thermistor circuit is OK as well. I presume, that I still have something burnt on the motherboard. As I understand, heating element is controlled by supplying ground through green wires when needed, because I have solid +12v at the hotend all the time. After some time I eventually get 0011 error, which indicates hotend problems, that I already know. Any clue where should I go next?

2 (edited by yizhou.he 2018-10-23 15:57:13)

Re: 1.0 PRO extruder not heating - motherboard issue

I doubt the cable is OK conclusion is solid. Double check your diagnosis, and see if you ignored the connection quality of any of the plug. Common mistake people make it they test the pin of the slot, and it gives 12V, test the pin of the plug, the heating element resistance is low, but when plug insert to slot, no connection.

There are multiple connection point you can test, mainboard side, heating element side, hotend board that connects mainboard and heating element. try the test on different spot and see where the problem is. Da Vinci 1.0 serial is known for the problem in wire harness.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

I have working Pro 1.0 as well, so all the parts except motherboard were swapped for checking, including cable and hotend - that's why I am sure, the problem is in the motherboard.

vedarinis wrote:

I have working Pro 1.0 as well, so all the parts except motherboard were swapped for checking, including cable and hotend - that's why I am sure, the problem is in the motherboard.

Well then it would seem it is time to gut the logic and convert the machine to RAMPS or other controller.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

vedarinis wrote:

because I have solid +12v at the hotend all the time.

When you get the solid +12V at the hotend, where do you put your muti-meter probe on? Any picture? I guess I may misunderstood this statement. If you get +12V at hotend for heating element, most likely the mainboard is not the problem.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

6 (edited by carl_m1968 2018-10-24 14:40:01)

yizhou.he wrote:
vedarinis wrote:

because I have solid +12v at the hotend all the time.

When you get the solid +12V at the hotend, where do you put your muti-meter probe on? Any picture? I guess I may misunderstood this statement. If you get +12V at hotend for heating element, most likely the mainboard is not the problem.

Yishou,

XYZ switches the ground off and on for the hotend and bed heater. If the machine on and you measure from power supply ground to the heater you will see 12 volts. However if the FET or drive signal on the board is bad and the FET is not switching the 12 to ground then the bed or hotend will never heat.

7 (edited by yizhou.he 2018-10-24 14:58:13)

carl_m1968 wrote:

Yishou,

XYZ switches the ground off and on for the hotend and bed heater. If the machine on and you measure from power supply ground to the heater you will see 12 volts. However if the FET or drive signal on the board is bad and the FET is not switching the 12 to ground then the bed or hotend will never heat.

Yes, that's why I want to know how he measure the voltage. there is a board on hotend where you can put probe on both wire from mainboard and both wire from the heating element to test the voltage.

If it is the mainboard, most likely the fuse to heating element is blow (another victim of metal wire brush maybe), and it can be helpful test if the spot before fuse got power. He mentioned he replaced it with a fuse, any test that replacement fuse is working or get blow again due to short in hotend? Many small detail in troubleshooting can make difference, I just want to make sure I understood his diagnosis correctly.

I have soldered external fuse and it is not blowing when I turn on the printer with connected hotend. +12v is constant at the hotend, as it was mentioned, motherboard controls ground supply to the hotend to maintain needed temperature. There is a lot of info about other da vincis, but Pro seems to be quite rare.

The only real difference is the wifi and the engraver head that can be added with the addition of different software. But truth be told an engraver head can be added to any printer and you just print the first layer. A few tweaks and you can even control the laser power for different material.

If someone runs into the same problem - I have replaced hotend control mosfet TPCC8067H and it works again.