Topic: Additive Model Finishing??

I know many people like use acetone to melt models to make them look smoother and hide layer lines, but does anyone add a thin material to the outside to fill in the appearance of layers? Detail is lost either way, but it seems like adding instead of melting would be more uniformed and controlled a process?

Re: Additive Model Finishing??

I heard people use wood filling or resins. Both has its pros and cons.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

3 (edited by heartless 2018-10-22 02:18:20)

Acetone only really works well on ABS.
There are some that claim it will work on PLA, but not nearly as well

there is a product out there meant for coating 3d printed projects - i forget the exact name of it tho.. never used it.

others have used automotive body filler to smooth things.. usually larger items like cosplay costumes & masks, but it could work for other things.

for some small objects, I have used a simple 2 part, 5 minute epoxy to smooth & give a "glassy" look.. like the eyes for the dragon model I am working on

http://soliforum.com/i/?jst4K08.jpg

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

If you have an SLA machine I have smoothed FDM models use  thin coat of resin and then curing it with UV light.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

That dragon eye looks fantastic!

Testers also makes a glue that drys clear as glass but goes on milky it comes in a wedge shaped plastic bottle with long thin neck at hobby shops, it could be filled in on that Dragon eye over black painted area and when dry would be glossy like the rest with black inside for example. I use it to make tiny windows on models and such, its sold for clear plastic part cement that wont fog windshields like normal plastic model glues and does as claimed. costly compaired to other glues though and worth it.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

n2ri wrote:

Testers also makes a glue that drys clear as glass but goes on milky it comes in a wedge shaped plastic bottle with long thin neck at hobby shops, it could be filled in on that Dragon eye over black painted area and when dry would be glossy like the rest with black inside for example. I use it to make tiny windows on models and such, its sold for clear plastic part cement that wont fog windshields like normal plastic model glues and does as claimed. costly compaired to other glues though and worth it.

i have also used that glue - and it is great for flat things, but it would have been far too runny for use on the eye which is a round object..
the 2 part epoxy is thicker so it stayed where I put it, but smoothed itself out in that area. it did exactly what I wanted it to do.

justsomeguy wrote:

That dragon eye looks fantastic!

Thank you! smile

I am quite pleased with how the whole thing is coming out at 300% scale - the ball joints have been a little bit of a challenge with the scaling, but it is getting there.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

Anything that is one part, relatively thin, and dries opaque? Glossy is nice, but I don't want to see layer lines. Preferably something that can be painted over. I use enamel paint usually.

Rocketman wrote:

Anything that is one part, relatively thin, and dries opaque? Glossy is nice, but I don't want to see layer lines. Preferably something that can be painted over. I use enamel paint usually.

Thin and opaque? probably not.

auto body glazing putty is probably going to be your best option for what you want. not thin by any means - it is more of a paste, but is one part, opaque (usually a reddish color), and can easily be painted over.

glazing putty is not the same as body filler, either.. glazing putty comes in a tube. you just smear it on to fill in small holes/imperfections, or in this case, layer lines. once dry it is easily sanded and painted over.