Topic: CTC replicator dual help after main board change

hi all.
have a issue i am am currently needing help with with my CTC replicator dual. resonantly i burnt out the temp control chips on my main board when the print head crashed into the bad and 24V was sent down the temp probe for 5 hours before i noticed, after replacing them still had issues so i have replaced the main board, all it working ok i.e i can bed level and home XYZ with no problems, the problem is that when ever i try and print from file or PC the printer dose the head clean ok then starts to walk around the bed randomly drawing alien shapes all over my bed, been over the settings all look good, re made the files (same), the printer is about 3 years old and has done a lot of work and i have replaced the stepper motor wires on it a few times along with most moving parts. any help would be grate
Thanks

Re: CTC replicator dual help after main board change

picture or video of it printing alian shape will be helpful.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

ets0 wrote:

hi all.
have a issue i am am currently needing help with with my CTC replicator dual. resonantly i burnt out the temp control chips on my main board when the print head crashed into the bad and 24V was sent down the temp probe for 5 hours before i noticed, after replacing them still had issues so i have replaced the main board, all it working ok i.e i can bed level and home XYZ with no problems, the problem is that when ever i try and print from file or PC the printer dose the head clean ok then starts to walk around the bed randomly drawing alien shapes all over my bed, been over the settings all look good, re made the files (same), the printer is about 3 years old and has done a lot of work and i have replaced the stepper motor wires on it a few times along with most moving parts. any help would be grate
Thanks

Was the same type of board used?

Did you try to home each axis individually?

Do you move each axis individually away from home?

What software are you using to print with?

Are you feeding directly to the printer from the software or copying the file to the SD card?

I have a CT'c dual myself but I went with a an open source controller and LCD long ago so I can use any program to control it and I have full control of steps per mm and so fourth on all axis. In fact once my new X carriage arrives I will be changing the board out yet again to an Azteeg X 5 GT and using BIG FOOT drivers to take advantage of the 256 Bit microstepping.

Are you judging movement from the front of the machine?

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Was the same type of board used?: YES   

Did you try to home each axis individually?: yes (also can jog each axis in the correct direction) 

Do you move each axis individually away from home? yes

What software are you using to print with? MakerWare V2.4.1.24

Are you feeding directly to the printer from the software or copying the file to the SD card?: have tried both same result

Are you judging movement from the front of the machine?: no looking at the tracks put down which are all over the bed they never get about  1 to 2 passes at the same place.

the alien shapes
http://soliforum.com/i/?KS5FDoC.jpg

bed leveling issue, nozzle too far away from print bed.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

have you checked the vref for the steppers?
if the voltage is set wrong, the motors could be missing steps periodically, making it look like it is making random movements all over the place.
voltage too high will cause overheating and temporary shutdowns.
voltage too low will result in not enough power to move properly.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

8 (edited by carl_m1968 2018-10-14 02:50:49)

heartless wrote:

have you checked the vref for the steppers?
if the voltage is set wrong, the motors could be missing steps periodically, making it look like it is making random movements all over the place.
voltage too high will cause overheating and temporary shutdowns.
voltage too low will result in not enough power to move properly.

If he replaced the board with the same type as the original then it is a Makerbot board also known as a Mighty Board and he does not have the ability to do that since voltage and current are both controlled by the firmware and they have that adjustment locked out from the user. In fact there are very few adjustments he can do.

You can't even send gcode commands to it as it does not communicate like a normal board does. All gcode has be processed into a file called an X3G file which is unique to the boards that Makerbots and their clones run on. His machine is just like the one I have no that I converted to open source. That Makerbot board and it's limited options was my main reason for doing so.

Below is an image of a Mighty Board. His machine like mine is actually a clone of the Flashforge Creator Pro if it was made by CTC and the Flashforge is actually a clone of the Makerbot.

http://soliforum.com/i/?QDqkBkf.jpg

His only other option for a bit more control is to flash Sailfish firmware but even then he is still limited in the fact that all communications to the board has to be in that X3G wrapper. The better option would be to convert his using one of Panucatts dual extruder board or any of the other open source dual extruder boards out there. Then he has an ordinary open source dual extruder printer that he can use Marlin or Repetier firmware on and use Repetier Host, Cura Host, Simplify 3D, Craftware, Pronterface or any of the several other host out there.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

well... this is why I prefer open source machines.. ugh! locking the user out of basic functionality sucks.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

hi
thanks for the response. have not looked at the vref. i have a program that allows me to change the  preference called replicator G which i used to update the firmware. may find something in that. the picture above is the board i put in the unit. i will have a play and post the result.

Thanks