Topic: First-Time Poster Noob Seeks Experienced Lurker with Answers - 3D P.

Hi Everyone,First-time poster here, and I have very limited knowledge of 3-D printers - but I've wanted to acquire one for quite some time. I'll list some of the more common needs - and some questions, too, if you don't mind. I will state unequivocally that the people who take the time to respond to guys like me are worth their weight in GOLD. I'm a firefighter/paramedic by trade - and while I'm happy to wake up at 2:00 a.m. to respond to a very sick person - or the mother who just couldn't make it to the hospital and delivers her baby right there in the living room, this time I'm the one who needs help. I am not being one bit cavalier about this. I really do need help, and I'll freely admit I have no idea what I'm getting into, technically-speaking. So, with that, thank you in advance, and now, I'll get started:

THINGS I THINK I NEED IN A 3-D PRINTER:
1. Heated Bed
2. Large Bed (Not sure what "large" is, but I heard 7" x 7" x 7"? More?
3. Auto Bed Calibration
4. All Metal Hi-Temp Hot End
5. Dual Independent Heads
6. Touchscreen and Input for the Machine (so I don't have to tie up a laptop - although I MIGHT have one that might work.) I would still like to download AT the machine, and use its brain-power to get the job done.
7. Dual Extruders?
8. Anything Else?
9. Yep, I Want to Print in METAL, Non-Toxic Plastics, and _____________(?).

THINGS I WANT TO DO WITH 3-D PRINTING:
1. Print Things for My Own Use - Useful Things
2. Print Replacement Parts
3. Print Plastic or Metal Tools
4. Print Things Like Toothpaste Tube Squeezers, Chip Clips, Perhaps even Home Decor that Doesn't Require High-Quality Finishing.
5. I WILL NOT BE RESELLING GNOMES, Etc.
6. Print Things as Yet-to-be-Determined!

WHAT I'M WILLING TO DO:
1. If I will get an AMAZING machine from my own blood, sweat, and tears, I not only would be willing to build it (assemble) myself - I think it would be fun - as long as the instructions are clear, I have the ability to assemble my own machine. This might actually be the better option, as I most assuredly would derive great pleasure and pride in "building" my own machine - IF IT IS RELIABLE, BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK, AND SOMETHING "BIGGER" (I'm talking conceptually here) THAN an already-built 3-D printer.
2. HOWEVER, if a turnkey model might be the best option, I'll buy it, open the box, and start printing!

I HAVE NO IDEA WHICH SOFTWARE PLATFORM TO USE (Or, even how to use it.):
1. HELP!!! Thanks in advance
2. I'm looking for software that will build high-quality items that is easy to use (or, WILL be "easy" to use - I'm willing to go through a learning curve.)

MY BUDGET IS:
1. Well, it could go as high as $2,500...maybe even higher. I MIGHT go higher if:
2. The overall VALUE of money to machine is there.
3. It's REALLY worth it for me to go higher.
4 It's necessary - like I need more machine to print in metal..., etc. I AM LOOKING FOR:1. An "online course" that might be able to help me get started, either before - or after - purchasing my machine. The shorter, the better, but if I have to complete it in 10, 15, or 20 hours, I'll be a willing student. It could be a free course, or paid - I'm willing to front money to get it right the first time.

Guys, that's all I can come up with at this time - I have really tried to put my heart and soul into it, so I want to say thank you in advance for getting through my rather long-winded post.

Remember, you guys are GOLD!!!

Best regards,

Maitai

2 (edited by n2ri 2018-10-07 06:16:56)

Re: First-Time Poster Noob Seeks Experienced Lurker with Answers - 3D P.

gonna need way more money for down payment on a 3D printer that makes metal tools etc. auto bed level is about as needed as an UPS in places with maybe 1 power outage a year. biggest obstacle is you are gonna need at least 2 years learning curve and lots of time for both web searching for that instructions part which is not in an book/class and fiddling with the 3D printer for many hours at a time which you cant just up and leave during printing when the alarm bell rings as there is no true plug and play/turn key machine or pause button. sounds like you want a half million dollar industrial 3D printer that fits in a part time home budget. good luck in maybe 10+ years. you have to bring computer program ability and tools needed for this tech plus great learning skills and patience to the game in this Tech still ATM. browse archives plus search Youtube/web for new developments and questions trying to narrow down list of what you need to start then start small/simple adding as you learn as this is a high tech field and like the rest of high tech devices upgrades are at least annual and often more affordable after 1st release. also dont buy all the sales hipe on videos as some are short lived companies for a reason. I started 6 years ago and this is the approach I had. just not as excited now as at 1st and I was retired so Time was not the issue funds mostly were. but I still have the equipment and programs & over 10k files but print times are way longer than you expect and not worth it on most items available retail. and keep safety 1st in mind always as much of this tech has all kinds of safety concerns.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

3 (edited by Tin Falcon 2018-10-07 15:26:34)

First of all welcome to the forum.
I give you credit you have done a bit of homework and have a wish list.
I will address the items that stick out to me

5. Dual Independent Heads: This" need"  will severely limit choices the only printer i can think of is the bnc sigma/sigmax

https://www.bcn3dtechnologies.com/en/ These are made in Barcelona Spain . Open souce so you can download the files and see what it is made of.

If you want bleeding edge tech and multiple tool heads the folks at E3d are offing a brand new system that is more or less a kit printer. https://e3d-online.com/ The took a few pre orders at ERRF back in June do not think the final price was even finalized at that point.

Another interesting project is the rail core printer.
https://www.kraegar.com/railcoreii this is a self sourced project meaning you need to order all the parts. . the project is well documented and well organizes with spread sheets build guides etc all free to download and look at. ($1300 -1400 for parts)

You may want to take a look here at my "local " 3d printing shop. .
https://www.printedsolid.com/collections/3d
This guy is passionate about 3d printing . He knows his stuff. He has an engineering background and a material science background. And full disclosed he is a friend of mine but there are no agreement an i do not benefit from sending him customers.

As far as metal that is out of the hobby budget at the present time. You can print with pla that  has been filled with various metal powders but you still have the properties of plastic. although a bit heavier.  good for artistic stuff. 

I too struggled on my first 3d printer. I considered a scratch build but the concern was i would get bogged down in design and purcasing and never build a printer. Kits were expensive at the time. So i opted to purchase a used solidoodle 4. I took a bit of learning curve to get it going and had to be tethered to the laptop. My second printer is a Folgertech I3 kit. i knew it was not the best on the market but a kit i could build and learn from . my latest printer is one of these
http://www.soliforum.com/topic/17534/mo … -for-sale/
It prints very well the auto level sequence does not work for some reason and the I think main board fan is very noisy  when it first powers up , i may  need to change it out. The risk one takes with an open box purchase.

Another question for you is where in the world are you from if from the USA state and approx location helpful .

As far as classes look for a maker space with open source printers. You need to learn repiteir host or pronterface cura/ slicer. and netfab basic. these are all free downloads. if you download reptier host it will have cura and slicer in the package.
My local maker space has a Statysis U print. that there courses are based on . this will  teach you nothing about open source software needed to operate most  3d printers . the settings are important.

Here is a troubleshooting guide will help get you started.
https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin … eshooting/

There is no such thing as a turn key printer . any printer will need some tuning adjusting and settings tweaked. There are even minor differences  between rolls of filament.
Hope this helps.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

maitai11 wrote:

THINGS I THINK I NEED IN A 3-D PRINTER:
1. Heated Bed
2. Large Bed (Not sure what "large" is, but I heard 7" x 7" x 7"? More?
3. Auto Bed Calibration
4. All Metal Hi-Temp Hot End
5. Dual Independent Heads
6. Touchscreen and Input for the Machine (so I don't have to tie up a laptop - although I MIGHT have one that might work.) I would still like to download AT the machine, and use its brain-power to get the job done.
7. Dual Extruders?
8. Anything Else?
9. Yep, I Want to Print in METAL, Non-Toxic Plastics, and _____________(?).

1. Yes, heated bed is a good option to have.
2. Better get used to using metric... the most common size is 200x200mm (roughly 8x8) with varying heights
3. not really necessary if you learn to level the bed correctly. adds unnecessary complications to the running of the machine
4. Also a good idea, but make sure it is of a quality brand - Chinese knock-offs abound.
5. "independent" heads are not a common, everyday thing, and those printers that do have them are meant to print multiples of the exact same thing in one go. They are also typically quite large (space wise)
6. You will still need a computer to do the slicing and prep work, but most machines come with (or can have added to them) at the very least an LCD with SD card reader for the running of the print job. Downloading (from the net) at the machine itself is not ideal. many files downloaded from places like Thingiverse need repair work before they are printable.
7. Dual extruders complicate things a fair bit. Not really necessary, but they are an option if you want to print with 2 colors/materials on the same job (MUCH larger learning curve to learn how to use them)
8. Lots! Reliability, structural integrity, parts availability, easy of working on it... Is the machine proprietary? meaning are you locked into using ONLY their materials, parts and supplies? Or is it Open Source? meaning you can tweak, change, use any materials you want, etc...
9. Printing "metal" - not really feasible on a "hobby" machine. Metal "printing" is seriously expensive.
Yes, There are metal infused materials - with one outstanding company that makes a product that can be sintered in a kiln to produce a solid metal object, BUT, the material is not cheap, and a kiln is not cheap either, so unless you have access to a kiln capable of the job required, get the metal printing idea out of your head.
As for the plastics, you need to take the time to learn about the different materials available, the properties of each, and how they would apply to what you want to print. Different materials are suitable for different things.
Also - what is your definition of "non-toxic"? This means different things to different people. I have used ABS, PLA, PETg, ASA, Nylon, PC & TPU in my printers, and I would not consider any of them "toxic" as far as printing with them go. But, I would not use any of them for food related use.

THINGS I WANT TO DO WITH 3-D PRINTING:
1. Print Things for My Own Use - Useful Things
2. Print Replacement Parts
3. Print Plastic or Metal Tools
4. Print Things Like Toothpaste Tube Squeezers, Chip Clips, Perhaps even Home Decor that Doesn't Require High-Quality Finishing.
5. I WILL NOT BE RESELLING GNOMES, Etc.
6. Print Things as Yet-to-be-Determined!

Basically the same things pretty much all of us do.
Again - get the "metal" idea out of your head unless you have the right resources available to you.

WHAT I'M WILLING TO DO:
1. If I will get an AMAZING machine from my own blood, sweat, and tears, I not only would be willing to build it (assemble) myself - I think it would be fun - as long as the instructions are clear, I have the ability to assemble my own machine. This might actually be the better option, as I most assuredly would derive great pleasure and pride in "building" my own machine - IF IT IS RELIABLE, BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK, AND SOMETHING "BIGGER" (I'm talking conceptually here) THAN an already-built 3-D printer.
2. HOWEVER, if a turnkey model might be the best option, I'll buy it, open the box, and start printing!

1. I can say without a doubt that building one is an extremely satisfying experience. I have built 3 now, each one a different style, and enjoyed the process for each and every one of them. I have also seriously modified a couple of others.
2. LOL - "open a box and start printing" is not something that is going to happen. I don't care what printer you buy - there are going to be things that need to happen before you can actually start printing successfully. Calibrations. Adjustments. Learning how the machine operates in general.

I HAVE NO IDEA WHICH SOFTWARE PLATFORM TO USE (Or, even how to use it.):
1. HELP!!! Thanks in advance
2. I'm looking for software that will build high-quality items that is easy to use (or, WILL be "easy" to use - I'm willing to go through a learning curve.)

1. the software you choose to use will partially depend on the printer you buy - proprietary machines usually come with their own software packages. Open source machines will give you greater flexibility in what you choose to use.
2. the software package itself is not what determines how well things are printed. It is all in the calibration of the machine and the settings used within the software. and this is something that will be unique to every machine. My settings will not necessarily give you the same results that I get. You have to figure out what works for your machine specifically. This is part of the learning curve.

MY BUDGET IS:
1. Well, it could go as high as $2,500...maybe even higher. I MIGHT go higher if:
2. The overall VALUE of money to machine is there.
3. It's REALLY worth it for me to go higher.
4 It's necessary - like I need more machine to print in metal..., etc. I AM LOOKING FOR:1. An "online course" that might be able to help me get started, either before - or after - purchasing my machine. The shorter, the better, but if I have to complete it in 10, 15, or 20 hours, I'll be a willing student. It could be a free course, or paid - I'm willing to front money to get it right the first time.

Guys, that's all I can come up with at this time - I have really tried to put my heart and soul into it, so I want to say thank you in advance for getting through my rather long-winded post.

Remember, you guys are GOLD!!!

Best regards,

Maitai

1-3. I will tell you this - the greater majority of my printers are in the $500 or less range. Do a search for some of my posts here and you will see the kind of prints I can produce, or check out my fb page: https://www.facebook.com/northwoods3d/
Money spent on the initial purchase does not necessarily equate with quality of output. Learning how to set up a machine properly, calibrate it, and learning to use the chosen software effectively will generate much better results than throwing money at things unnecessarily.

There really are no real "online courses" for 3d printing.. you can learn a lot just from reading past posts in forums like this one (this one being the best, of course. wink )
The best way to learn this is "hands on" experience, lots of reading, and asking questions specific to your needs. There are a few general guidelines to follow, but each machine will present its own unique challenges. Even 2 machines of the same brand/type will present slightly different challenges.

One last comment.. n2ri said "at least 2 yrs learning curve"...
Bupkis.. I started out in March of 2015 with a used Solidoodle 4. It did take me several months of intensive reading, research and testing and tweaking, but I was printing nice quality stuff in less than 6 months. In that first year, I had basically rebuilt the initial printer with better quality parts, and built not just 1, not 2, but THREE kit printers - all successfully, thank you very much.

Learning curves are different for everyone. It is more about how determined you are to learn it (I was VERY determined) and how much time you are willing to invest in learning it. It also helps to have a good teacher/mentor (thank you wardjr!)

http://soliforum.com/i/?59ce36E.jpg

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

5 (edited by Tin Falcon 2018-10-07 19:42:20)

As you may already know there is a bit of a learning curve.
If you want to use a 3d printer to its full potential then you need to lean cad .123d , Fusion360, if real adventurous  blender.
You need to know how to calibrate , maintain, troubleshoot,  and repair the machine.  There is some service available for machines in your price range. Service agreements and service tends to be expensive and one often needs to send the printer to the factory.
You need to be able to slice the stl files this is important and actually part of the designs process. You may need to slice 3-5 times to optimize the print time. And 3d printing is not a fast process figure about 30 hour print time to print a full sized violin (an example) and it will take a half a roll of filament.
And even a top of the line printer parts will fail over time and firmware may need to be upgraded.

If you want to build a kit or scratch build
You need mechanical skills  a fair amount of hand tools. Electronics skills a mutimeter, electonic calipers. Some software skills are also needed for modifying firmware and you need to be able to update firmware and load it onto a card. So some aduino skills are needed  depending on the board you choose.

So this hobby is not for the faint of heart. There is a fair amounts of dogged determination needed. 
As a paramedic i know you have pushed through many situations and had to solve problems on the fly . You seem determined to learn.  The leaning curve here is not insurmountable.

IMHO get an affordable but decent printer learn to use it push it to its limits then if all turns out well then buy a really good one.
Or build your dream machine from scratch. You need to find the path that is best for you!

and one more printer to consider is this one  https://www.printitindustries.com/col … 3d-printer this is a hand built in usa printer built by several members of the forum here. This company was started to support the sd  community after solidoodle went under.
I feel i would be amiss if i did not mention this one as an option.

Again more to think about
and i hope this helps and makes sense to you.
Tin Falcon

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

Always happy to help

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

7 (edited by yizhou.he 2018-10-07 18:11:03)

I believe people have answered all your question above and I agree with most of them. Just want to add three point.

1. Buying expensive first 3D printer is not wise. newbie break stuff a lot by mistake even when used carefully, and it's not really the quality of the printer. Also I imagine there are more stress when you decide if you want to take apart your $2000+ machine than $200 machine. If you send machine to customer service, there is very little you can learn. So I would recommend you start with something simple and cheap (under $200 maybe). I'm sure you can learn a lot even with a simple and cheap 3D printer. Once you know more, and more confident with your skills go for your dream machine, you will save more than $200 to make the right choice because you know more about 3D printer. And you can use this cheap 3D printer as backup printer to print out parts to fix your dream machine in case it breaks.

2. If you really want to make some metal parts, you can mod your cheap 3D printer to CNC router once you get your dream machine. It can not 3D print complex metal part, but you can use it to cut and shape simple aluminum alloy parts.

3. When you plan your budget, take the filament cost into consideration and set aside at least $100 per month for the cost of filament and occasional replacement parts.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

8 (edited by Tin Falcon 2018-10-07 18:41:23)

in reference to mr he:

IMHO while some $200 printers are ok and do a decent job. Ie mono price mini select and the mini delta are decent printers that are great for learning the print bed is a bit small but it also means less wasted material. spend $400 on an ultimate  open box you get a much more solid platform and in my experience solid experience. Still mod able and repairable . again your choice.

The cnc router is a different learning curve and IMHO needs to be a separate machine and who wants chips in there bearings and rails.  I have seen custom built combos that work print head cnc head and laser head. But i am not a fan of combo machines .

A rule of thumb I have heard is a roll of filament lasts a month. Again this will vary with  number of prints how much time spent printing . Size of nozzle etc. good extrudes can cost around $100 +- and a low cost printer may need upgrades. I pay $20-25 a roll for everyday filament specialty stuff is more. And starting out you may need tools. IMHO $100 a month may be a bit over the top. but again something to consider.

I agree with Tin that spend $400 on an ultimate open box is a great idea. It is a solid machine and very reasonable price. I would not spend $400 on my first 3D printer because I wasn't sure if I will like 3D printing for sure, but if you are willing to spend $2,500, this $400 MonoPrice maker ultimate machine can definitely be a good first machine.

A roll of filament lasts a month? Really? I will check my 3D printer for leakage, lol.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

A roll of filament lasts a month? Really? I will check my 3D printer for leakage, lol.

This is very much an estimate , based of 30 parts a month. Parts of average size whatever that is. I have been printing for 4 years I can probably count empty spools on one hand. On the other hand the hovlin example you get two violins from a spool with no misprints. so two large items. And IIRC your printer collection is a bit larger than mine. So you may spend $100 a month on filament.
LOL it is all good big_smile
Tin

Hi Guys,

WOW - thank you SO MUCH for your responses - as a group, you have taken a lot of my presuppositions and stood them right on their head!  I can see that this opening question is simply the beginning of learning the "what, how, and why" of what I want to do. 

I could almost say "Let's take that initial list I wrote and modify everything in some form or fashion.  The answers you have given me have taught me that:

1.  I won't be printing in metal.
2.  I will most likely start out with a smaller, less expensive machine.
3.  That I will need to understand a lot more about 3-D printing before I settle on a first machine.
4.  That I like open source software - something I hadn't even considered - but I'm an Android guy to begin with, so this fits inline with my preference.
5.  That I need to revisit some of my "must haves," etc. 
6.  That I'll need to boil all of these responses down to see if I understand it, then I'll be able to restate my position - and maybe come off as a little better informed.

Just this opening salvo has very seriously humbled me; you guys are to me what 3-D printing is as me explaining the pathophysiology, assessment, and treatment of a myocardial infarction - also known as a common heart attack.  I'll be back just as soon as I can better express and formulate how I'll be moving forward - and I have some learning and a LOT of thinking to do. 

Thank you all so much for being kind - and in some cases, downright blunt, because I needed some straight-talk - while I embark on this endeavor. 

Regards,

Maitai

1.  I won't be printing in metal.Wise choice my friend.
2.  I will most likely start out with a smaller, less expensive machine.IMHO also a wise choice  . But beware there is a lot of cheap Chinese junk on the market not worth the shipping price . in many cases the "manufactures assembles a kit with no R & D no verification of actualy building it and no support.. Also IMHO opinion do Not purchase a Davinci Big mistake.
3.  That I will need to understand a lot more about 3-D printing before I settle on a first machine.
Do your homework but do not overthink the decisions. Most of your learning curve will be software. As far as the hardware you will need to let the printer teach you what it needs . the only way to really learn and understand is to jump in and do.
In my experience Take e good hard look at the Monoprice ultimate. watch reviews and come to to own conclusion.
some You tube channels thes guys focus on 3d printing and know there stuff. And all reviews can not be totally trusted as the manufaturers have there tricks. Hand picked machines . tested at the factory before being sent for review etc. Proto types sent in the name of production machines etc.
cnc kitchen
makers muse
3d printing nerd
3d printing professor
Tom Sanladerer (Tom's Guide)

4.  That I like open source software - something I hadn't even considered - but I'm an Android guy to begin with, so this fits inline with my preference. OS software is great download it is it like it support it.
5.  That I need to revisit some of my "must haves," etc.  You were mostly on target. IMHO stick with a single extruder to learn with  then explore other options.
6.  That I'll need to boil all of these responses down to see if I understand it, then I'll be able to restate my position - and maybe come off as a little better informed.

imho you did fine  like i said you did some homework , came up with a wish list and asked for advice.

Tim falcon

Hi Tin,

I appreciate it, I think I was being a little harsh on myself...typical firefighter/paramedic mentality!  When I go through all the responses, I WILL be back in the next couple days to see if my vision is a little less pie-in-the-sky, more realistic. 

But I'm excited to get started!  While I am in the middle of a certification for work (I typed 195 pages!!!), I would love to start carving out time to make some decisions, present them to the group, and double-check before I actually buy something. 

What you did with this last post was nice.  Basically, you told me not to be so hard on myself.  That means something, brother. 

Best,

Maitai

Take your time no rush.
there is a work neighbor the guy has a business across the lot. I have been working with him trying to figure out a printer that will work for him. He is a fire fighter in North Jersey  a lieutenant.
I think he is going to make a visit to the Printed solid show room before making  decision. I helps to see various 3d priters at work before deciding.
Just remember the only difference between a working 3d printer an an expensive paperweight is knowledge of operations.

And I ask again where are you located. No pressure to answer if you need privacy but it help us help you get local help.

My apologies.  I'm in the U.S., State of Nevada, about an hour from Reno in Fallon, NV - home of the U.S. Navy's TOPGUN fighter pilot training facility.

check out this link then https://bridgewire.org/
https://www.makexyz.com/printer/ashleyhennefer
there may be other members her in the area??

Thank you, Tin Falcon!  I'll definitely check out the Bridgewire MakerSpace meetings, as well as the Def Con group - it's at the same address as Bridgewire, so that will make it easier. 

This was a really nice thing to do for me - I have a feeling this is going to move my experience to the next level.  I love forums, but there's just so much more that can be done through direct contact and speaking in-person than writing it all out exclusively via forum communication.  HOWEVER, I will always hold forums in extremely high esteem, as they have, time and time again given me answers to SO MANY questions - and I've tried to help others, too. 

Many thanks!

Maitai

indeed, in person contact is quite valuable!
But when none is available, for poor fools like me that live in the middle of nowhere, forums like this one can be a fantastic resource. smile

and the group here - for the most part - are a great bunch of people willing to help if they can.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

"Heartless" with a Snoopy avatar?  Indeed wink 

Forums have been the bedrock of not only my success, since about 1998, but I know for many, many others.  There is just something special about a place to give of yourself - it's an amazing experience!  Even with human contact, I always hold forums in very high esteem - and along with human interaction, I NEVER abandon forums in favor of face-to-face meetings. 

I may get advice on a particular model of 3-D printer - but then, I can take that ONE opinion and ask half a dozen good folks right HERE!  So, yes, thank you for reiterating that point - it is an excellent one.  Additionally, sometimes it's the only thing folks in rural areas have - that's where forums are even MORE important. 

Great stuff!

Maitai

My 2 year learning curve was based on expectations of end result versus reality. dont set the bar too high at 1st based on hipe heard online to avoid disapointment

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

Hi N2ri,

You know, this is the second time you've mentioned not getting sucked into the hype of sales pitches - and because of that, I will be REALLY careful.  Quite honestly, I've throttled back the process because of what's been said here.   I don't want to put the cart before the horse, and I also want to do things right without being too perfection-oriented wink 

Point taken!

Maitai

22 (edited by Tin Falcon 2018-10-13 02:05:28)

A couple of afterthoughts. No printer will do it all that is why many of us have several. 
Do your homework to enable a wise decision . but there comes a time one must put the research aside buy a printer and really start learning. Also feel free to call Matt or Dave  at printed solid tell him where you are at and pick his brain.
And please keep us posted on your journey .  You are a part of this forum now like it or not LOL

Tin

Hi Tin-Tin,

Thanks for the follow-up, especially since I'm into this whether I like it or not, haha.  Seriously, everyone here has said something that made me pause.  I wasn't trying to come off like a know-it-all - it's just that I got some bad information and the excitement took me for a ride...I'm back in first gear now wink  They have weekly meetings at Bridgewire - and I'll attend the FIRST meeting I can - but since I'm working a crazy firefighter schedule, that could take me into next week or beyond - so I'm mulling everything over, and I really do appreciate you taking the time to check in on me.  Nope, I wasn't scared away hahaha.  I needed straight-talk, realignment, and basically a wake up call, and I got it all right here.  THIS IS A POSITIVE THING.  Now, my thinking is more looking toward starting smaller - but still getting a decent printer - whether built from the factory or home-built/put-together/assembled by me.  I am very much anticipating that first meeting at Bridgewire, then I'll have a better vector to share with everyone wink  OH, AND I JUST CHECKED MY SCHEDULE - Looks like I'll be able to make it next Thursday!  You'll be sure to have a report after my first face-to-face experience wink 

Thanks again Tin,

Tim wink

Based on the photos and description of the bridge wire maker space they have an older original maker bot and a home brew shop built machine.
Like i said for you i would recommend the or rather suggest a monoprice  Ultimate maker open box. I say suggest because i do not like to make recommendations. there are too many options out there and i want no one disappointed because of my advice.  A brand new one is IIRC $ 699. and they do offer extended warantees if that is important but you have to ship the whole machine to California for factory service. IMHO it is a very solid well built machine for the money. it meets most of your wish lit. it is a single print head. not otuch screen but on board control 200 mm cube print area.
You can go with a mini for half the price but it is more or less half the machine smaller print area and the system is a bit flexible and the machine is open and iirc closed source.  IMHO more aof a toy / kids printer. 

In  the end your dime or should i say dollar so you need to be happy with the decision..And you will not no what printing is about until you try it and the maker space can help you learn the software make a few prints and designs before you invest in your own . Tin

Thanks Tin,

After I meet some folks face-to-face, I'll take everything here and try to come up with a printer that I'll ask about on this board.  As far as BridgeWire, joining is for serious builders of not just 3D - but many other things - and they have the carpentry, welding, metal working, and lathe setups - but the monthly fee is $70 bucks and I'm 60 miles away, so I think that's out of the realm of probability.  I've been breaking my back working around the clock for 72 hours, with another 48 tomorrow - so I'll be ready to take some "me" time when Thursday rolls around.  I'll report back just as soon as I can wink  I'm excited to meet those folks! 

Chat soon,

Tim